Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever been to Prison

• 02-09-2003 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Has anyone here ever done time, and if so, what was it for, and what were conditions like in prison?

Just asking as we are always hearing how bad things are, and how things are etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

spent the night in a cell in tallaght garda station once..does that count ?

It was grand, lots of names etched into the wall and some stange stains too. but sure I was pished and havin the craic with me mates who also got locked up.

No charges pressed by the way. "I didnt do nuffin garda"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are we doing a cost / benefit analysis of a life of crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

only in monolopy.......

some of my family have been in the dog house alright so ive visited jail before never been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Alany
    spent the night in a cell in tallaght garda station once..does that count ?

It was grand, lots of names etched into the wall and some stange stains too. but sure I was pished and havin the craic with me mates who also got locked up.

No charges pressed by the way. "I didnt do nuffin garda"

a friend will bail you out of jail.
    Your best friend will be in the cell with you going "That was great laugh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I went to mountjoy on a school tour

bad smell
    lots of bored looking prison officers hanging about
    cells about 6x12 with 1 small window and bunkbeds
    small shutter in cell door so people can look in
    bucket in corner of cell that is emptyed every morning i was told
    a few sick skinny looking prisoners looking out of open cells, must have been feeding time or something
    no doors on the toilets at end of wing
    sick and blood on the floor of said toilets
    our class got to question 2 prisoners after in a hall, both had obvious mental problems

overall a terrible place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I know two friends that are in prison, one in dundalk the other in limerick. One is doing ~6years and the other is doing 4 months. Im not going to say what for though, nothing to be boasting about.

Warned by gardai about flashing lasers at them driving alright, dragged into the cop shop at about 3am after Tipp won their last all ireland, trying my hardest not to laugh.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I didnt know they had a prison in Dundalk,or is just one of those young offenders places?
    Anyway I know of people who have been in Mountjoy,St Patricks Institution,that young offenders place in Wicklow something abbey,and lads who have been in that jail in Roscommon and a young offenders place in Cavan.

As for prison,I know a few people who have been for various sh1t. I know of 3 brothers who all ended up serving time in the same prison at the same time. Its like something out of Oz a coincidence like that.

As for being arrested whats the story anyway regarding them ringing up your address? I have one cousin who when he was 17 was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct but he managed not have the fuzz ring home. But then my cousin of 25 was arrested for vandalism(he was drunk and threw a cigarette into a skip,but the cig lit whatever was in there on fire)and they called his house after he had been arrested. Whats the story with it?

Id say Limerick prison must be the worst to work in. The members and friends of those two families must be rowing all the time.

Actually not sure of the exact location of the prison, though someone told me dundalk, but its up in that general area, i havent been up to visit him.

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Actually not sure of the exact location of the prison, though someone told me dundalk, but its up in that general area, i havent been up to visit him.
    Maybe Loughan House in Cavan?

http://www.irishprisons.ie/images/overmap2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I know of a guy who was taken down to the Garda station for smashing the window of his wife’s bmw and hotwiring it. His wife went into labour but took her car keys with her in the ambulance and her husband had no other means of getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

I've never been to prison but i have spent 1 night on two different occasions in the lovely holding cells for drunken revellers. On both occasions i was v v drunk and the second time i remember them saying "he's a danger to himself and others and he's staying the night" fair 'nough. As has been said its bare concrete walls, hole in the corner for a toilet, names all over the walls, something to read anyhoo, and some interesting stains which i care not to think may have been caused by. The strangest thing when i spent the first night in the cells (it was in england) was they took my shoes, jumper and trousers off me which all had like lace-things to tighten them. They told me the next day it was so i wouldn't hang myself!!! why would i want to hang myself for being taken in for being drunk? i def don't know but i sure was cold that night, freezing me bollox off. But i hope never to have to repeat any off those again and def don't ever want to end up in prison. One of the things i've always thought about prison and had many conversations (mostly drunken ones) about is that i've always thought i'd be absolutely **** if i went to prison. What i mean by that is i don't consider myself a hard b!$&*~d and am really not into fighting. Now, and maybe i'm getting the wrong idea of prison (or it could be reading too much chopper and watching too much Oz) but to me it seems you need to be tough or risk getting into loads of ****. So if i was having a nightmare about going to prison i'd probably be getting the **** beat out of me or being called some big fat man's biatch. Either situation i would find not appealing at all, at all. For this reason i'd be scared as hell to go to prison so as a detterent to crime it certainly works for me to some degree. But on the other hand for someone who prison holds no fear whatsoever and they have no problem going how does that work as a deterrent? it doesn't methinx. in general society prison works as a deterrent but in some criminal circles it only serves as a punishment. And one that only restricts freedom, but if a person actually enjoys prison it is neither deterrent nor puishment so where is the point? hope thats not going too off topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by l3rian
    I went to mountjoy on a school tour

bad smell
    lots of bored looking prison officers hanging about
    cells about 6x12 with 1 small window and bunkbeds
    small shutter in cell door so people can look in
    bucket in corner of cell that is emptyed every morning i was told
    a few sick skinny looking prisoners looking out of open cells, must have been feeding time or something
    no doors on the toilets at end of wing
    sick and blood on the floor of said toilets
    our class got to question 2 prisoners after in a hall, both had obvious mental problems

overall a terrible place

Wouldn't you think that would be enought to put people of commiting crime full stop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

never been but I've read Papillion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Been arrested for D/D and assault? dont really recall.

Anyway spent a whole 1 night in mountjoy remand centre to drunk to really remember the nigth. The place was not as bad as prison sounds as it had been recently revamped at the time had a flushing toilet in the cell.
    Seen some of the other wings they were like something out of the victorian times piss pot and all.
    Got out on bail the next day. Got off by paying compensation to said victim!!
    Thankfully learnt from my mistake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I spent the night in a Gendarmiere in France one night. Wasn't too bad, got threated rather well. But that was France and the reasons for my incarsiration were rather farcial.

I once went in Transistion year to interview two inmates of Mountjoy. *Shudders* It was horrible, never commit a commen crime in Ireland, you need white collar or pyschotic crime to get anything like humane conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

So, how does life in an irish prison compare to OZ?
    Is rape the norm? Regular assaults?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

My mum works in Wheetfield out in clondalkin as a nurse in the prison. She has a new story every week.

This one time(only story i can remember right now) a guy stuffed an orange into a mug,put the mug in a sock and started beaten another guy round the place.
    And another time,they used snooker balls in socks.

And there's always people getting slashed(whether it be by themselves,or in a grudge against someone else, at least twice a month)

Thought id let you hear what its like. I might have more by next week.

Originally posted by Cianan2
    This one time(only story i can remember right now) a guy stuffed an orange into a mug,put the mug in a sock and started beaten another guy round the place.
    Hmmmm, he seems to have got that wrong. The idea is to put a (large) orange in a sock and use that - it leaves little bruising. I think they do it with pillow cases in Full Metal Jacket.

Originally posted by Victor
    Hmmmm, he seems to have got that wrong. The idea is to put a (large) orange in a sock and use that - it leaves little bruising. I think they do it with pillow cases in Full Metal Jacket.

Think they used bars of soap, a bit more painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Well,the orange was for weight,and the mug-well thats for pain. As for full metal jacket,they used soap...the only heavy thing they could use,as they were in boot camp.

Another weapon they use is the handle end of a toothbrush with 2,yes 2,blades stuck in. With this,it makes it alot harder for the nurses,like my mum,to stitch it up so the victim bleeds... alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well,the orange was for weight,and the mug-well thats for pain. As for full metal jacket,they used soap...the only heavy thing they could use,as they were in boot camp.

Another weapon they use is the handle end of a toothbrush with 2,yes 2,blades stuck in. With this,it makes it alot harder for the nurses,like my mum,to stitch it up so the victim bleeds... alot.

take a chunk of flesh and makes the edges of the wound ragged to it can't be stiched very neatly it at all. Basically it will leave a woeful scar. Not v.nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by Tha Gopher
    ,that young offenders place in Wicklow something abbey,

it's not a young offenders place, it's a low security gaff where "proper" criminals go to face the last few months or weeks of their sentence, to get them bak to reality so to speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Yeah it's called a "shiv"... you should read "Mr. Blue - diary of a renegade".

It's about Edward Bunker - who plays Mr. Blue in Reservoir Dogs... he was basically a fugitive for most of his life, and spent much of it in different prisons, starting from age 11 or so up. He was in San Quentin and Folsom. Lot's of great stories in the book. Very interesting, and very scary. It's the most in depth look into prison life I've ever had.

I'm sure Irish/English prisons are different than the U.S though, and I'm not sure when his last stretch was. Anyway.... tis a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Yeah it's called a "shiv"... you should read "Mr. Blue - diary of a renegade"....

I thought a shiv was more any "dagger" type blade or weapon for stabbing/killing. LIke a shard of glass or perspex or a stiff wire. The two razors are more for maiming and disfiguring. Or so I thought.

Originally posted by loismustdie
    it's not a young offenders place, it's a low security gaff where "proper" criminals go to face the last few months or weeks of their sentence, to get them bak to reality so to speak
    This is Shelton Abbey. There was also Shanganagh in Shankill near Bray (but technically still in Dublin). I understand it closed earlier this year.

I think there are other places, for young offenders, not on that map.

Originally posted by Victor
    This is Shelton Abbey.
    Yes thats an open prison, just on the edge of Arklow.
    It's where all the local's learn to drive as theres about a mile or two of road around it.

If you are being sent to prison , ask the judge if he'd mind sending you there as it's within walking distance of a few good pubs:p

mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I thought a shiv was more any "dagger" type blade or weapon for stabbing/killing. LIke a shard of glass or perspex or a stiff wire. The two razors are more for maiming and disfiguring. Or so I thought.

Hmmm... maybe, as far as I recall from the book, it's pretty much any makeshift cutting/stabbing implement. i.e - razor blades in a toothbrush, or shard of glass rolled up in a magazine like a spear!

Must check again.

Advertisement