Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive Problem

Options
  • 02-09-2003 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

Im having a problem with a dvd drive i took from an old computer and put it into my new one. The dvd drive was kinda faulty on the old one, taking ages to load up a disk and always giving the (windows 98) error of 'drive is not ready'. I took it apart and cleaned the lense with some cotton wool which seemed to do the trick and it loaded cd rom and dvd disks ok for that boot. Since then it has a mind of its own and sometimes works and sometimes does not. Since i've put it into my windows xp box it only seems to want to read dvd data disks and refuses to load movies or cd rom disks. It makes the pc hang for ages and then will just power down or something and wont even let me open the drive bay door. Any ideas as to how i can repair this or will i basically just have to throw it out? The only reason im asking if i can repair it is that i havn't got the money to buy a new dvd drive. Thank you for your time and assistance in advance.

Comments

Advertisement