Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awwwwww... Look at the Domain that Just ran Out!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I WANT IT!!! *looks frantically for credit card*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

speaking of Domains running out. esatsucks.com will be running out very soon. I have a feeling that Bill will be ready to snap it up if it does to stop anyone else getting it so if anyone wants it, it's yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I let fúckeircom go but only because I wanted something fresh and inspiring. I asked if anyone could provide irrefutable evidence that Bertie Ahern is a liar on the Politics board, but alas, it was a no-go. I guess it's back to dissing the telcos for me.

I've never been able to figure out the Premier Hotel's Group connection to Eircom by the way (eircomsucks.com). Who is that masked Simon Kelly?

adam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Muck
    Anyone fancy renewing it at $8.95

So we all know that Eircom read these boards so how long before they register it

or

How long after someone here registers it do Eircom take to send them a legal letter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

I've taken it :)

Would like to use it for a site listing all the errors that a similar sounding company has made in recent years.

Things that spring to mind are misleading info (like adverts criticised by advertising authority), ISDN is high speed, "no-one really wants Broadband", etc.

All suggestions would be appreciated - either post them here or PM me.

Also, I'm kinda busy for next few weeks so anyone want to do some work on the website ?

Martin Harran

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    I've taken it :)

Things that spring to mind are misleading info (like adverts criticised by advertising authority), ISDN is high speed, "no-one really wants Broadband", etc

Woohooo!
    :D

Well as long as you don't use the EirCON logo without permission they can't complain (although you still should be able to use it)

But either way if you have info like that on the site its not lying or missleading in the end.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

A parody (i.e. the modified logo) is perfectly legal, so although they may complain, there isn't anything they can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    A parody (i.e. the modified logo) is perfectly legal, so although they may complain, there isn't anything they can do about it.

2 Years ago this domain was alive. Eircom sent their legal vermin off to 'restrain trade' with that domain ISTR , their legal vermin cost €150 an hour or so for a domain which costs €50 a year including hosting.

It costs €20 to register a domain for 2 years, had the legal vermin done so we would not be having this discussion. They could easily have back booked it waiting for it to expire. In not doing so, the legal vermin are in breach of their fiduciary responsibility to the Board. That would be your minions I suspect Mr James G Ryan, how could you have let this one get away!?

As the THEN Chairman of IrelandOffline NOW apparently has the domain, we may interpret that as a blessing from the Eircom legal vermin that its general use is OK with them.

If ANY letters come from the legal vermin ....apropos what may or may not be on the site in the near future.....all you have to do is tell them that they failed to PURCHASE the domain when they had opportunity to do so for next to nothing. How can they now object to its use ?

Furthermore, they failed to purchase the Domain after its availibility was flagged on this Board for over 24 hours.

The DID purchase the domain Eirco.Com because they thought it sounded like eircom.com. They have renewed its registration since , innit Des. If they thought a similarity existed , why did they not purchase errorcom.com . G'wan ye chancers ....wait'll Karlin hears about it from Martin's press release :D

M

Originally posted by Muck
    2 Years ago this domain was alive. Eircom sent their legal vermin off to 'restrain trade' with that domain ISTR ,
    Mmmmm...didn't realise that there was a history to this URL:(

Were Eircom able to restrain it's use and, if so, on what basis? I thought there were restrictions on URL's that look like brand names, not ones that just sound like them.

In regards to content I put on the site, there will be nothing libellous, just truths.

Also, I will not put anything remotely like Eircom logo or even their colour scheme/layout as the last thing I would want to do is give them something to complain about.

Then again... I haven't been in the media since I stood down as Chairman of IOFFL, maybe this could be my chance to get famous again:).

Martin

I'll put my mirror back up just for you Martin.

http://beecher.net/mirrors/errorcom

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That errorcom logo on the main page... still as funny as the first time I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam

That's the best laugh I've had all day. Nice :)

Originally posted by dahamsta

adam
    I remember that site ok adam - hysterically funny if it wasn't so near the truth :) - what I'm unsure about is :
      *did Eircom go after errorcom.com URL ? *If they did so, on what grounds?
    I thought URL's could only be objected to if they looked like a well known brand, not if they sounded like it.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Such a good site. Great to see it again.

did Eircom go after errorcom.com URL ?

Dunno, I only mirrored it.

I thought URL's could only be objected to if they looked like a well known brand, not if they sounded like it.

Being right is of very little concern to the kind of lawyer that works for Eircom. I made the mistake of pulling eircon.org partially because Eircom played on my lack of knowledge. They knew full well that they were unlikely to win a case, but the company uses the big bucks to bully. It won't happen again. It's writs all the way for dahamsta these days, solicitors letters get filed carefully in the bog. I just wish they'd use more absorbent paper.

</RANT>

adam

LOL

Martin

I'm happy to say I'm still runnning my Errorcom mirror since the day real errorcom site was taken off-line

http://www.cabaal.org/errorcom/

:D

Advertisement