Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSoD and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...

• 02-09-2003 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Over the last three weeks ive had about 2 blue screens per day, all stating the following error:

*** STOP: 0X0000000A (0XC018FFFC,0X00000002,0X00000000,0X8043E681)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address 80433E61 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d9b17 - ntoskrnl.exe

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

From what google has given me this can be caused by:

Faulty RAM
    Underpowered PSU
    IRQ conflicts

Nothing of much detail from the results, so here i am :p

I have no IRQ conflicts

My pc is an AMD XP 1700+, 512mb el cheapo RAM, 80GB HD... with a 300w PSU

Does anyone have some concrete ideas as to what the cause would be?? And how to resolve it?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Windows 2000, no SP

Sorry! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I had the exact same problem last week.
    It's a virus and as you have no service pack you are being exploited - you have 4 service packs awaiting your download time.
    I don't suppose you have any anti-virus software installed either considering you have no service pack installed.

Press Ctrl+shift+Esc and check your processes. You'll more than likely find msblast.exe (the virus) is one of them which is not a good thing :P or numerous other quirky ones, kill them all and then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get patched unless you don't value your information. Some anti-virus (up-to-date) may be worth considering too........

could you get back to me and let us all know how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

It makes sense now:

I HAD SP2 and the got the blaster worm. I installed the patch, but a week later had to un-install the service pack because it was causing crashes with a TV capture device.

I figured the patch had sorted the worm, but just a few mins ago i did a virus check at the trend micro free scan, and it found the msblaster worm! (and cleaned it)

Problem solved

Thanks all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

if problem crops up again..

an IRQL_LESS OR EQUAL BSOD

is cause by faulty/dodgy ram..

if you get different stop errors consistently..
    its fauly ram..

put ur ram through memory tests..

its a process of elimation..
    but to save urself alot of trouble..
    run memory test first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If you get it again try this utility - I've found it to be fairly reliable. Takes a good while though, especially when the RAM is dodgy, it can have problems if you have dodgy mobo or cache on the CPU too so don't make assumptions.

memtest

Advertisement