Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy bike and insure it!

Options
  • 02-09-2003 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey all,

I am 17 years old and I want to get a bike. My first question is what bike do you recommend? I was thinking something like a aprilia rs50 or 80.

My next question is, how much will it be to insure? Will it be more than 2k a year?

Thanks for any help :D

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by mattg
    My next question is, how much will it be to insure? Will it be more than 2k a year?

Most definately... could be a lot more depending on where youre living.

First timer for insurance reasons most (sensible) people normally go with a cruiser, something in the 125cc range. Virago's seem to be very popular. Then again, if that doesnt float your boat, you'll just have to get a second or third job to afford the insurance.

I'm sure batman will be on singing the praises of the wonderful RS50 anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

try www.hiberniandirect.ie to get an idea about the insurance.

Prepare for shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattg

:eek:

Yea, Got a quote from hibernian for 5k a year :( Thats on a Rs125. I am staying in Limerick city. Then I checked up for a scooter(which I dont particularly want, id prefer a bike) and got quoted 750 a year.

Ill look up the cruisers now:)

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well the RS125 is a particularly fast 125, and as such is very expensive to insure. Have you tried getting quotes on some others?

Yea,

I just got a quote on a rs50, they quoted 1456, which isnt bad, I think Ill go for it if I can find a second hand rs50.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

actually rymus i wont, id recommend a 125 2stroke moped instead or a 125 cruiser , far too many gear changes on a 50 i think, the rs is beautiful lookin but i dont think i could take changin gear that much
    as a 125 the rs stands way above the rest in most ways, save maybe comfort, but id take a 125 crusier(virago specifically) before an rs50 if the insurance is the same or similar, a tdr125 would be a good bet too, all much easier to live with
    stay away from varaderos tho, they are stupidly overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The rs50 might look great, the new one in particular, but don't let it suck u in, get a 4 stroke (4T) 125, likes the guys say, have u looked at the Honda CG125? It's probably just as fast as the rs50 and is the same insurance group as far as I know, have u thought about a Yamaha DT125?

Hey,

Thanks for the good advice, im truely grateful ;)

I will take a look at those bikes, and see what I can come up with :D

thanks again,
    Matt

Do you guys highly recommend I dont get the rs50? Cause a guy at school will sell me a rs50 like a 00 model for €1500. Its in v.good condition ect. I think it looks ace.

Do you recommend I go for a diffrent bike? I have been checking out the other bikes you guys recommended, some are cool, others I dont fancy too much :D

Thanks.

EDIT: Do you think that other insurance companies will quote me cheaper, or is hibernian one of the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

At your age, hibernian are the only insurer that will insure you.
    As far as the bikes go, get what you want really. There won't exactly be a world of difference in the power of an rs50 and a cg125. For a first bike (so long as you're not spending much) any of them will do you for a year, and then when you've gotten really bored with it by the end of year one, you might grab something a little bigger. What about an nsr80, decent power, relatively low insurance, looks sporty to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I would not recommend an RS50 if you plan on using your bike for actually getting from A to B, as opposted to mere cosmetic look.

Fair enough, the RS looks nice, but do not get a 50cc. Your feet will be in bits within a fortnight from all the quick gear shifting. I would recommend a 125cc moped (faster and no gears - something like an Aprilia SR 125 - 17 on Provisional A1 license = €750 insurance per annum).

Personally I am not a fan of cruisers, nor do I know a lot about them, only that they are quite comfortable.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Advertisement