Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn based games: why they rock

Options
  • 03-09-2003 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

there's just something about them. the way you take your time to decide what you want to do, and plan your strategy. kinda like chess, only with lasers and sectoids. you can tell i've been playing a lot of UFO Enemy unknown and terror from the deep :)

U.F.O. Aftermath is about to drop in 22 days. whats else is there apart from civ games that requires turns to play?

adnans

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I play a lot of the console turn based strategy rpgs andlove them all to bits. Most are far easier than the PC games but just as addictive. The slow pace really suits me and they are usually easy but have hundreds of levels so theres always the '1 more battle and I'll turn if off' factor. After I finish Xenosaga I'm going to concentrate on Final Fantasy Tactics, one ofthe hardest games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by adnans
    U.F.O. Aftermath is about to drop in 22 days. whats else is there apart from civ games that requires turns to play?[/B]

Ah, good old heroes of might & magic 3 is still a totally class game.

Shame version 4 never got a proper hot seat multiplayer mode :o(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

UFO and TFTD were certainly great games, X-Com Apocalypse was pretty decent too, I certainly loved it.

As for UFO: Aftermath, i have it on pre-order from play.com, and I can't wait for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

The Fallout series had a beautiful turn based combat system, mixing with free flowing game play at less important points.

Massive Assault coming soon looks like a very interesting take on the turn based thing too.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yup,

I've been playing one online by the makers of xcom http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

as recommended by Kairo (cheers) link

It looks fantasic and really is class to play. I think there bringing out a retail version of it soon aswell.

You make your moves by e-mail so my sucky 56k can even handle that, tis a class game, ya get 3 free ones at least but can get challenged by loads of other people, big community there.

When I was looking for this type of game, i cam across the old XCom play by mail game, I think if you can find the actual game you can play it for free as they got a patch that gets rid of you having to use their servers. Worth trying to find.

Gid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Before that I had played XCom terror from the deep on the Playstation, think you can get it on the pc somewhere for free, tis tiny. Great building up your base and chasing after the ememy subs then the battles, and if ya didn't catch enough of them in the sea they'd invade the land, they always picked on Australia for some reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Coyler

Played the demo of Silent Storm. Very enjoyable and detailed game with some RPG elements to it, not unlike Fallout Tactics or Final Fanatasy Tactics. Except its 3D.
    If you are looking for some old school turn based games I still have love for Jagged Alliance 2. I personaly prefered it over the Xcom games but I would advise most people to give the demo a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Advance wars 1 & 2 on the GBA. I'm not generally a fan of strategy games (rts or turn based) but I'm hooked on advance wars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I still go back to all the Xcom games for a few frenzied weeks of solid playing at a time. Fantastic stuff (although murderously hard at times. Never did finish it... :( )

Fallout 2 was almost the perfect turn based combat. If they could pop in a few more options (diving behind cover, running to increase movement but decrease accuracy, that sort of thing) then it would have been utterly brilliant.

If you haven't tried it already, have a look at www.adom.de . Turn based RPG of a sort (everyone takes their turn at the same time, sort of) and it's massive and clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

VGA Planets. You damn newbs. :P

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

the battle isle games were cool, except the newest one-which messed up the whole turn based thing
    chaos gate is my favourite turn based game, it's brilliant but it's horribly under rated because it's a warhammer game
    really like the fallout games too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Not turn based, but if you liked the Civ games and also like RTS games take a look at Rise Of Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Originally posted by Sarky
    If you haven't tried it already, have a look at www.adom.de . Turn based RPG of a sort (everyone takes their turn at the same time, sort of) and it's massive and clever.

If you can put up with ASCII graphics, that is!

Another game worth mentioning in a similiar vein would be Nethack (www.nethack.org). More of a straight-out dungeon quest than the more open-ended ADOM, and more simplistic in a number of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I always had a soft spot for the Heroes of Might and Magic series myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Ah, I remember in HOMM II getting about 500 black dragons and generally stomping on everything. Such a good game!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ahh Civ II, my all time favourite game. civ 3 was much the same as 2 though, i wish they'd push the envelope a bit.

Originally posted by kaids
    ahh Civ II, my all time favourite game. civ 3 was much the same as 2 though, i wish they'd push the envelope a bit.

The second expansion pack, Conquests, is looking to break plenty of new ground. www.civilization3.com for info on it.

I've got the first expansion pack (Play the World) and somehow, I've yet to play it multiplayer. I don't know many people who have the game and are interested in playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I always had a soft spot for the Heroes of Might and Magic series myself :)
    those games made me forget what outside looked like........

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Lyconix
    The second expansion pack, Conquests, is looking to break plenty of new ground. www.civilization3.com for info on it.

I've got the first expansion pack (Play the World) and somehow, I've yet to play it multiplayer. I don't know many people who have the game and are interested in playing...
    hmm, sounds like more of the same really. looking for it to be completely overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

turn based games a good but they lack any realise.

Dident stop me finishing Magic the gathering loads of times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Not terribly into my turn based games but my brother was big into the Battle Isle series. Incubation (I think that's Battle Isle Phase IV) caught my eye though and I have to say it was an increbidly satisfying game to play.

If you're looking for something chess like pick this up. It should be pretty cheap these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    turn based games a good but they lack any realise.

Dident stop me finishing Magic the gathering loads of times!

If it came down to realism and fun, I'd take fun every time. Real time games tend to emphasise reactions and hand-eye coordination, at the expense of thinking ahead.

It's nice to be able to play a game where you can take as long as you like to make a move, and knowing that the other side is doing exactly the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

true fair point, also turn based games work well on line even on a modem!

[edit] In response to Kaid's reply on page 1...

If it ain't broke? :)

In fairness, an overhaul could mean changing the trademark 'Civ' gameplay that the fans of the saga appreciate.

If theres one thing that disappointed me about Civ3, it was that there was no multiplayer included in the original game (pre-expansion pack), which was an awful decision, particularly considering that its competitors, Call to Power 1 & 2, featured multiplayer. Made it seem even more like Civ2 'enhanced'.

One thing that looks interesting about Conquests is the new set of governments. Imperialism, fascism, et cetera... the question is, will they do more than just change the balance of corruption/commerce/etc. around?

Advertisement