Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anytime capacity problems?

Options
  • 03-09-2003 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Is anyone else having problems connecting to Anytime? like loads and loads of engaged signals, non connections or being disconnected after a minute or so. my line is actually in good condition having had eircom fix it up (there is no fault, your line tests perfectly, my line was lying on the ground) i went through this years ago with no limits. all I want to know is my equipment or theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've been using Anytime for a few months now, haven't really had any problems with it.
    Get in touch with IOL, it could be a local problem i.e. the pop you're dialling into.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Sorry for the dumb mistake, I meant anytime is giving problems not netsmart which was rock solid when I had it. They are driving me crazy, you can't get through to anyone since blaster/so big etc. Anyway if anyone can help me here I would be really pleased.

My mistake too (I'm still asleep). I'm using Anytime now, was using Netsmart before. I'd say the service on the 2 is identical really for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is probable that the modem banks or the route from your Local Exchange to the modem banks is different between Anytime and Netsmart.

Eircom wholesale the Flat Rate pipes to IOL.

Eircom may be compressing the backhaul and thereby causing the modem to break the connection.

Where are you Vampyre , County or Region.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

currently or so i was told BT in the uk has some damaged routers making all ping times and what not travel a longer distance

people on ADSL/ISDN/Leased Line, anything esat related has bad pings, its really bad for gaming atm..

the tech support guy said esat dont have to provide a minimum latency but they are looking into fixing it as soon as possible with no time frame in mind

great...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Actually I was going to ask a similar question.

Sometimes I dial in on Anytime, I get about 300bytes sent, 2k received, and then it just freezes. Can't connect to anything, a ping doesn't recognise that a connection exists. Have to hang up and dial in again. Usually, it works ok second time in, though occasionally it takes a third dial in to get a good connection.

It seems to me that there is no pattern - whether it will connect properly or not first time seems to be unpredictable.

Reassuring in a sense that I'm not the only one with the problem. But (without knowing the technical details of the problem) it seems very avoidable on IOLs part if they made half an effort?

Also engaged signals a problem, you could excuse it very occasionally, but it does happen way too frequently

Originally posted by BArra
    currently or so i was told BT in the uk has some damaged routers making all ping times and what not travel a longer distance
    vampyre's having problems dialling up, not with pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

yeah i did read her problem, just added in another little problem they are having

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I'm in a village in co Meath. In my opinion eircom have not upgraded the lines and exchanges adequately if at all to accomadate the loads of new estates and shopping units. this has been only for the past few weeks (after the 3.5k new customers?). all the error messages say it is the remote computer but they told me that means nothing, also I really can't get through to tech support, i hung on for 16mins on a Wednesday afternoon. I can't block the line forever. the endless redials is really getting to me, it is almost constant. many thanks for the info, I have complained and allegedly someone will call today to help. Like I believe that.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If your number is an 04 number then the problem I suspect should be obvious from Dundalk over to Cavan then down to Longford Mullingar Enfield . (North Leinster and SE Ulster)

Anyone else with a similar negotiation and freezing issue with IOL anytime ?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

had a thread on this in the net/comms folder so im glad im not the only one, pings are also bad for me to uk servers, i have nps playing on servers in holland france or germany just cant play on any UK servers which is really pissing me off.

Anytime really is a hit and miss affair at the moment, you either dial in and get webpages cannot be displayed, you look at you bytes sent and received and tis only a few hundred bytes, or you get constant engaged tones or unable to establish connnection error messages.

Wonder have i any comeback in cancelling the account within the contract period (which is a year for anytime), because there not
    providing me with the service i signed up for

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Anytime has had no problems for me at all. last week i had to clear cookies for it to work but that is a small inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by vampyre
    I'm in a village in co Meath. In my opinion eircom have not upgraded the lines and exchanges adequately if at all to accomadate the loads of new estates and shopping units. this has been only for the past few weeks (after the 3.5k new customers?). all the error messages say it is the remote computer but they told me that means nothing, also I really can't get through to tech support, i hung on for 16mins on a Wednesday afternoon. I can't block the line forever. the endless redials is really getting to me, it is almost constant. many thanks for the info, I have complained and allegedly someone will call today to help. Like I believe that.:rolleyes:

I hear there are *heaps* of problems with the navan node, vampyre!!!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I experience the problems mentioned above on Anytime occasionally but generally it is very good.

Advertisement