Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to look out for?

Options
  • 03-09-2003 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Evening all

Have found a few cars I like in the Paper, two 1.2l Puntos and a Fiesta and am going round to see them 2nite.

Does anyone know what sort of things I should be looking out for so that I don't get shafted.

What kind of questions should I ask etc

Also If a car has been in a minor crash (had to get the side door replaced) is it a definate no no?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Obviously ask if it was ever in an accident but this may not return a true answer. However, a damaged car that was professionally repaired should be Ok but then again! If it was damaged then obviously look for a significant price reduction. I have to say that if the car looks that it has been driven hard (hundreds of stone chips are a good indicator) I would probably walk away.

What are these cars selling for in the papers - have a strong idea what the car is worth. You should also bear in mind that a car with €2,000 worth of accessories is still often worth the same as the standard model.

Look for mis-aligned body panels (e.g. bonnet not squaring neatly up to wings, etc.). Also notice if the keyholes have been tampered with. Have a look at the pedals - if the car has only done 20K miles and the pedals are worn out then walk away.
    You should also check the service history and compare the service intervals against the recommended intervals etc. The car may also be due a major service (incl. timing belt) which can cost a few hundred. Find out if the belt was last done or when it is due.

Do a search on Google Groups with some / all of the words fiesta punto buying advice - there are loads of similar querys there.
    Have a look at the links below also:-
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review.asp?model_id=11021
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review.asp?model_id=100000

Lastly, if you still aren't sure then hire a mechanic - plenty offering their wares in the Buy & Sell. You are buying 'sold as seen' so you also buy any problems - if you aren't 100% sure then walk away - there are plenty more cars out there!
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

check service history, esp for timing belt change. If this hasn't been done and it breaks, then it's heavy damage; bent valves, punctured cylinders etc.
    Open the bonnet and check for any respraying, different colour paint etc. check the bolts on top of the the wheel arches (where the suspension is connected) to see if they are new/have been removed.
    Run your finger along panel edges and corners, if they are out of alignment by any serious measure then it may have been in a crash.
    Rub your finger on the inside of the exhaust. Should be a white powder(ideally but rarely is on a car more than 1-2 years old) if it is noticibly oily/black have a mech check it out (a good idea anyway)

Also ask the owner not to run the car for at least an hour before you see it, run and REV the engine for 10 -20 seconds yourself when you get there. If there are any engine problems they're easier to hear when the engine is cold.

Drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Always trust your instincts, If your unsure about the car, just walk away....primary rule!

Does the interior of the car smell? is it covered in majic tree air freshners? any indicatoin that it has been stood up for a while.

Leave the car running while after driving, don't be afraid to work the gears. Check the clutch (handbrake test).

Turn the radio off & listen for frightners (rumbling bangs rattles).

Don't purchase the first car u see, you can always go back to it, leave a €20 deposit if you really think you'll be back.

Push down in each corner to check the shocks. You shouldn't be able to "bounce" the car too much.

Pity you didn't give the age of the cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

Thanks lads, appreciate the advice

The cars are all 99,

The first punto has 24k on the clock and is priced at €4000

The second one has 38k and is €3500

I'll let you know how I got on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Make sure you're seeing the cars at the owners home ie not meeting at some garge forecourt that sort of thing!

You should have indicated that you wanted to start the car from cold so you can check for a rattling top end. i.e. if tappets go "tap-ity-tap" for more than a second the oil pressure my be low.
    If so thats a no-no. Check the oil filler cap. Is it black or whiteish-
    thats "mayonaise" and the sign of a shagged engine.

Check the condition of tyres if the whole lot need replacing thats 250/300 hundred euro.

Check for damp in the boot under the carpet and in the footwells.

Is the exhaust quiet or "pumping"?

Do all the electric toys work (if it has any)?

Is the NCT long or short? If its due a test in a month or two best to walk away. You might have to spend a small fortune to get it through.

Does the owner look honest, (you know what I mean)...Does he answer with confidence or is he shifty.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by mike65
    Make sure you're seeing the cars at the owners home ie not meeting at some garge forecourt that sort of thing!

Always make sure the 'owner' lives where he says he does. ie If you meet a guy outside a house mkae sure he goes in and out of that house to get logbook etc, if necessary ask to use the loo.

Plenty of horror stories of guys selling cars still owned by Finance company from the driveway of an empty house.

Finance co take the car back as they still own it, seller pulls disappearing act, you're left no car, no cash:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

Morning all,

Went to see 3 cars (all 99 puntos around €4000) with a friend of mine who works as a panel beater.

All three had been in a number of crashes which when I asked about them the owner had no recollection of. The only reason we saw it was because my mate knew by the feel of the body if it had been worked on or not.

Also all 3 we being sold by dealers from outside their house - which I thought was very dodgy. All total arseholes by the way - I asked one of them if he was a dealer and he replied "listen buddy if you know a better way to make a million quid in a year, let me know" in a snotty d4 accent.

Anyway, I've kind of given up on a private sale - a friend suggested that maybe finance houses or dealerships were the way to go.

Has anyone any experience of dealing with them in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boy three strike outs in one evening. I bet you get home feeling a little depressed about the state of the market!

Still you're well armed now for future engagments. I must say in the 15 or so years I've been buying and selling cars I've never had any such trouble. Maybe its a Dublin thing...!

Buying from a main dealer will provide some peace of mind. As you should get a warrenty for the engine/box at least which should cover you for at least 6 months. Though you may do better if the dealer is up for it. You will pay for it of course, so the car you buy may have more miles/years or simply cost €500 more than a private sale.

Remember one thing though ALWAYS, its a buyers market. There is no end of cheap metal out there with zillions of trade ins done over the last few years.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Don't forget that you're a cash buyer who isn't trading in. Most dealers are delighted to see you 'cos your getting rid of stock.

Friend of mine reciently purchased a '99 honda accord 1,8 vtec with all the buttons for 11,500, dealer was looking for 13,000!

The prices they show allow for trade in's.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would advise you not to get a Punto. They depreciate badly in price for a reason. But that's just IMO :)

A panel beater is a good friend to bring along. A mechanic (even a trainee one) is even better. Basic rules - normal mileage is 7.5K - 12.5K miles/year. A lot more and you should expect a big reduction in price. A lot less, and you want to ask for proof of one old lady owner, or else it's been clocked.
    Always take a look under the bonnet (as you probably already know), for signs of stress or damage to the frame.
    If you can, take a test drive. Query everything that feels weird.

If your budget is limited to €4k, go for an older Ford or Nissan instead of a newer Punto IMO. And a 99 punto shouldn't cost more than €3,500 in very reasonable condition. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

IMHO stay away from the Fiats. Get a nice reliable jap car into you. Little civic, micra, 121 or somthing. Sweet japanese reliability.

Advertisement