Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spyware Scanners

• 03-09-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭

anybody any recommendations on whats the best and easiest to use spyware scanner ?

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I generally use a combination of adAdware and Spybot Search and destroy.. Also had another one on my old pc, can't remeber the name of it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I've only got AdAware on my home pc, but afaik the best option is to combine it with another similar proggy to ensure you're totally safe (or as much as possible anyway) from Spware.

I've heard good things about Spybot as yer man above says, I must remember to get it today myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the best way to scan for spyware is to have the combo of adaware 6 and spybot search and destroy

AdAware 6.0
    Spybot 1.2 Search and Destroy

Don't forget these need to be updated like any normal anti-virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

What they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

i use spycop ...cant really say how it stands against other spyware scanners..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eurorunner do u have a link and i'll test it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Inferno

another vote for ad-aware
    werent they the first crowd to do anti-spyware stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Spybot S&D is brilliant.
    Ad Aware we use too as it might just get things S&D doesn't- it's not as good really. Most the time it only tends to find 3 cookies (oooh thanks!) or spurious Reg keys(made by S&D of course to lock the IE control panel against uber-clickedy customers)

We also use a great little program called Spyware Blaster, it locks the machine from dl-ing the crap in the 1st place. Unless of course a customer willingly clicks on the dreaded "always trust content from The Gator Corporation". But in that case we have another utility called Scary Beardy Employee v1.5. SBE works by vaulting over the counter screaming "DON'T CLICK THAT!!!!"
    It's a very effective piece of biosoft.

But yeah- I reccomend using all three.
    If it wasn't for this holy trinity we really would be in a pickle.
    Update regularly and check at least once a day.

(We run an internet cafe and you wouldn't believe the crap we pick up on a day to day basis.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

spybot & adaware...
    for some reason i used to be a complete adaware fanboy, then i realised theres no harm in having both on your pc at the same time.
    whenenver new defs come out you're pretty much guarenteed that one will pick up some spyware that the other missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i have spybot and adware 6 at home great progs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

ANother Adaware and Spybot user, but I also use Spider Bite, it gets right in and cleans out your internet useage log, index.dat, and there is usually some index.dat files hidden aswell so it'll get the ones you cant. Saves time aswell.

Spider App

Advertisement