Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH THE GOOD OLD DAYS...

Options
  • 05-05-1999 12:42am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have to write a piece for Truegamers about the scene in Ireland past present and future and I want input from the old-timers (I'm still a newbie)

So, here's your chance, get those creative juices flowing.
    Write a short snipet of a fav memory or a long encycolpedia or just bullet points and I'll include it.

Thanks !
    DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

veni vidi vici

koopa takes skills 5 to the cleaners smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

We 'ad it bad....used to have to get up at 3 oclock in morning, lick dm4 clean before goin out to mill to make rugby shirts for Mr. WhiteWashMan...pay him for permission to work 36hour day, and then we'd get 'ome, and DeVore would frag uzz, and dance on our graves...IF we were lucky!

Conshidrubley, richer than yowww!!
    robertgallagher@tinet.ie
    http://www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Not quite what I was hoping for smile.gif
    Anyone else got anything to ad?
    MP? Zero? Von? all you oldschoolers?
    CT indeed or Scary Spice?

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well to address gaming in Ireland you have to address the period when most players (not all of ye but me anyways) had yet to experience the multiplayer possibilities. I remember way back in 1993 when we serial linked two 486's and played Doom2, Descent, ROTT and Indie500. Only 2 PCs and we had a ball.
    Many players in Ireland will have played over a LAN at an early stage but I had been playing SP Quake for half a year before I got onto the net and experienced the true mayhem of a many-player situation. First there was WinQuake which we lived with (my God how?) and then Quakeworld. Around this time, 1997, things were picking up community wise in Ireland (again I know many had been around for a while) and it started to take off.
    My best memory though was in the summer of 1997 when a few of us (Verb, Toilet, Flav etc.) got 4 PCs networked in my house. I can still remember someone explaining that "+mlook" made the mouse a device to look around. That was a big revelation for me when I had envisaged all these frag Gods thrusting their mice forward and back to move around completely ignorant of the real use of the bleedin' thing. A great weekend of Duke3D, Dungeon Keeper and of course Quake. Never looked back smile.gif

M

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I remember downloading Qtest when it first came out, I ran around dm3 for half an hour just looking at the cool graphics. I may have had only 10 fps but it was pretty spectacular. I then played Qtest in Trinity on the LAN against my brother Reaper, we did'nt have mush time and it was a 1 on 1 on dm3 and I fragged him with a GL at the eyes, and then we quit. I savoured that moment because it was a long time till I got my next frag on him. When quake came out I had a 14.4 modem and foolishly tried playing it on the internet. I logged onto quakesrv2 and tried to play but the lag ust ate me up. So I stuck to single player for a while. The lowest ping I got on my 14.4 waas 170, this was on a quakeworld server. I then got hold of a 33.6, I was well chuffed and proceeded to quakesrv2. I started to play but my ping was ****E, it spiked so much. It was only playable at around 2 in the morning. I later found the problem was that I was going through the localnode at Drogheda. I snatched the Dublin number off someone, I had no idea it would improve my ping but sure enough i was on quakesrv2 with a steady 250 ping. All the cw lads were there, such as Beast, Blade , Tomb, Von, even Zoom !(I think thats his name.) I got no notice what soever because I was CRAP. I do remember Beast kicking the ****e out of everyone he played. Me being a newbie muppet decided to form a clan. I named it ABOM(Atomic Bombers), I cant remember the reason for this ! Anyway, there was myself, my brother and 2 freinds in the clan. I was on qsrv2 one day and asked this new bloke to join the clan, it was his first day playing quake when I caught him, who other than the mighty Braincell ! That was a lucky snatch for me, I mustve been psychic smile.gif ABOM had **** all clan matches but it was a good laugh. I then entered quakelords which good ol Eric and Ray setup. I didnt expect to get anywhere. The person I was meant to play in the last round couldnt turn up so Death was allowed in to play me. I KEELED Death and got to play at the Temple bar music centre which was a cool day. Unfortunately I was drawn to face non other than my Brother(Reaper), which I lost to by wuite a slim margin. After that I just played lots of duels and wars and stuff. Then came IQCL and I was asked to join CT. The team consisted of Kaile, Reaper, Bunny, Koopa, Rhob and myself. We played brilliantly as a team and stomped all over all oppostion. The only person who posed a remote threat that day was Ser. I played fot CT a few times after that but then Re-Joined LDC(Lime in Dee Coconut) which I formed with Braincell. LDC were a very strong clan until we all broke up due to "Real-Life". I played for the HIBS in the 5 nations which was fun. {Memory Lapse}. I then joined CW, which are currently the best clan in Ireland as they proved in the IQCL'98. But before that I went to Quakapalooza which was a huge event in the Burlington Hotel organised by Tom Murphy and other helpers. This was a main contribution to Irish quake and was well attended. I went to Northern Ireland and played for the Irish B-Team and Slaughtered the sound NI lads. And now I am dormant due to the oncoming leaving cert, I should be studying and not typing this !

Slaanesh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

errrrrrrrr, joined abom like slaan said, made the finals of quakelords but got hammered in the first round by nicky, was pretty crap at ctf, qw started, played alot of duels, was in x-com at this stage, left x-com to create ldc with slaan, we started with me, him and koopa, then got rhob and ser and the likes, and a few english guys, we stomped anyone that came near us, got to a fairly high level at duels, ldc kept getting better, stopped playing quake due to real life, ldc split up, after about 2 months i started to play quake again, joined nD, played about 1 game for them before quitting quake again due to sheer annoyance of this crappy box i am typing on now(this was the time when everyone were getting their p400's), was well and truly finished with quake after not pkaying for about 5 months until nicky came back and installed small quake!!, started playing again, got used to shiitty fps, went to ul for a weekend and got used to good computers, came back and couldent play on this thing, have stopped playing quke again until nicky comes home with the p233 in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Oldschool time indeed.
    The only people I know who are more oldschool than myself are Bunny and Dr.Claw (Koopas big bro).
    I remember walking into Becketts computer lab during freshers week (September 1995) and playing Doom against Dupre. Two wierd looking lads in the row behind us were playing Doom as well and asked us if we wanted some "hot" 4-way action. Cool sez we. And they kicked the living f*ck out of us smile.gif We never looked back and played Doom all day, every day (always on the same level, umm the first one). There were so many Doom players that the 4 player limit proved a big hindrance, so we used to play "musical chairs Doom" in the PC hut. 4 pcs on the back row, about 10 people. When you dies you gave someone your seat! Those were the days...
    I remember being really impressed when I say the shareware of Duke Nukem 3d.
    We played Duke 3d loads, pausing to look at qtest, deciding it was ****e and then going back to Duke smile.gif Wierd....
    Duke Nukem was so cool, shrinking your enemies, then stamping on them... Or when you got shrunk, scutting around and hiding under boxes of ammo. Around this time we tried a lot of games. A bit of ROTT (crap cept for drunk missiles and the like smile.gif, a LOT of C&C (until Joe found that Multiplayer cheat....the c*unt). All these games played on P75s with 8 mb ram in DOS. Networking was a problem because we didn't have a clue back then, but thanks to the genius of Dr.Claw and his IPXDE200 monolithic ipx driver (scary, i actually understand it now) we were able to play ipx games. Played Descent a bit too (kewl game).
    We also spent a a f*ckload of time playing MUDS (Multiple User Dimension - text only game kind of like Ultima Online, check out www.mudconnector.com if you're interested, all you need is TELNET, most are free smile.gif. MUDS are incredibly addictive, gameplay consists of walking around, killing monsters, getting experience to improve your character etc. Myself and Bunny were serious junkies. Dave called his first character "Liborkaras", to make it difficult to kill him smile.gif (you had to type "kill liborkaras" to attack him, as opposed to "kill bob" smile.gif. We must have played MUDs for about 3+ years... We even met some of the American players when they came to Ireland. Spent about 2 years on and off writing a HUGE zone for the MUD, the source code (uncompiled) was over 600k last time I saw it, unfortunately I lost the ****ing thing. Muppetry sad.gif Highlights included Orc Commandos with advanced player killing AI smile.gif Heheh.
    But enough of MUDS, and onto Quake. It begins...
    After our brief fling with Quake, and deciding it sucked (not being able to get out of the water on DM3 in qtest grrrr) we gave it another chance with the full version....STROOONNGGG. Regular big 8+ player FFAS on the lan....seriously cool. A chance meeting with BEAAASSTT sometime in 96 (the artist formerly known as GOW among other things), who was playing QW online long before his CW days, ended up with us bringing him into TCD and showing him how Quake was REALLY played. He told us about CTF, and we decided to give it a go. I think we spent most of the summer of 96/97? (jesus I can't remember!!oh yeah...the summer of Quakefest, 97) playing LAN CTF in the Pe*****street pc lab.
    Huge (8-16) games of CTF using the Custom maps (remember da Ancient Wargrounds lads?). We had been growing increasingly disillusioned with Quake but CTF made it all seem new again. Along with other discoveries such as rocket jumping and mouse look, we were ready for Quakefest. Quakefest really brought the newly formed CT together. We had a common goal, to destroy the outsiders. Quakefest was the most amazing thing ever. Other Quakeheads!! Wahhh!! We met the UL lads (whom I insulted), met Mp (who got me my current job) and the rest of INC. I remember playing my most memorable game of Quake ever there, against Overlord. I didn't know quite how good he was, so I was all tense going into the game. 15 mins of pure adrenaline, everyone in the tent standing behind us watching, nothing else in the world except for Quake. When the game was over I felt numb, and so light-headed I thought I was going to fall over. We both shook hands and staggered outside for a smoke. I've never experienced a rush like that since (chemicals don't even come close). I got slaughtered by Alan in my next game but I didn't care, I'd had my moment. Zero went on to play a great game against Overlord in the final and was deservedly the first person to bear the title of "Best Quake player in Ireland". From there....
    Quakelords.....Quakapolooza, France, Northern Ireland....you all know the story from there.
    I don't play Quake anymore, but hey...
    It's been emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well i can provide somthing about the embrionic stage of the q2 scene (Spoonman and Vorosha can fill u on the REALLY early stuff); i have been playing since the end of march '98, which was about 4 months after q2 came out. I'd gotten a copy of the disk on lend from a friend of mine in January, I'd been playing lan q1 in school for a good while with absoloutly crazy ffa's that had scores well into the 100's on e1m7...anyway he told me about all these weird weapons like Railguns and all the different armour classes. So after the SP wore off I went off looking for some multiplayer...without having any conception of Lag or Pings, i used to setup a server that my friends could join and vice versa, with the host player having a ridiculously low ping in comparison to everyone else..we screamed: "howd he kill me, i was over there a minute a go!"..these games were organised impromptu over the phone, and lan q1 still constituted the majority of my multiplayer experience. Then in march i was on sorting out a sound problem i had in q2 in the #quake channel on irc.iol.ie, so anyway someone told me to go to this place to get the 3.12 patch to fix my problem, that place was www.quake.ie. It was a matter of time before i discovered q2ffa1 and all the other servers. I remember vividly that i was still playing with the keys at the time, and particularly embarrising duels with this lpb called Dr. Teeth smile.gif. I dont remember exactly how i discovered the mouse, which is usually the turning point in any Quake players existance (separates the serious gamers from the hobbyists)...so my involvement just got larger and larger, I set up Irelands first(by 3 days, heh heh) q2 news site which ran all through the summer of '98. Had a laff running that, plus some em..disagreements with the news men on q2n, cant remember what it was about but we're all friends now (hang on, i work there smile.gif. I saw the beginnings of clan DzR (yes i recollect a certain man of blunt eating instruments without a clan tag) and HIV, I remember playing matches on q2war1 where you had to avoid hitting your teamates and we played on SP maps, plus you had to stop muppets jumping in in the middle of your game , mainly by shouting at them to leave, arr, glory days indeed. So Quakeapalooza came along in October, and I got a chance to meet all these people behind the names, kind of aprehensive at first as you are, and also feeling like a bit of a spa with that big badge with my name on it smile.gif, like nearly everyone in q2, this was my first time putting faces to names, but we got on like a house on fire because of our common interest, lots of pi55 ups and meetings in the Cybercafe followed. So here I am today, a veteran (flattering myself smile.gif...of a year of irish q2, version 3.10 to 3.20. Learnt a few things, met loadsa people and then fragged them. Theres lots more I could say but these are the events that stand out in my mind the most, hope its useful. Over to you, lads...

Conshidrubley, richer than yowww!!
    robertgallagher@tinet.ie
    http://www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

jees that Creeper guy almost makes a guy wish he went to trin...yea RIGHT!!

nice post though

Trin or UL.
    Did they get computers in UCD yet?

• Advertisement

Oops.....cheers Toil smile.gif
    (must be nice must be nice must be nice must be nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

me and pred started play single player, didnt have a clue what was goin on in multiplayer online...we(he) got very good as we figured out +mlook for ourselves, and pred began kicking ass forst times on quake.iol.ie. i joined in when i got new modem...great fun, but i wasnt great, but gettin better - INCs used to slag the **** outa us, PHX lads were better than me and i couldnt join them. Started abat with Ron cos only clan i could join, Snapped up donron from IOL as newbie, few others, persuaded Lorcan to join after ages...
    Abat goin bigtime then, and we beat INC in IQCL - most memorable game - my original goal after all the abuse.
    The rest is a story of struggling on a p75 and a p2 450 with a shoite modem...

shur give abat n lorcan and them a bit o credit - we made a bit of depth in the clan scene smile.gif

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Ugh....oldschool. I must have written about that about 20 times, if i find it anywhere i'll post it. too tiring to write it again smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Here's a funny story that I think has to be told. In ye olde early days {early first year?} myself and the artist formerly known as Reaper were invited to play a Doom 2, 2 v 2 duel against these two 2nd year Doomers in Pea rse Street {Anton Enright and some other guy I think} on some Dwango level.
    We started playing as usual but things didn't go too well. Weird stuff seemed to be happening, because we'd hit these guys with 3 or 4 rockets, give them a plasma volley in the face and shove double barrels down their throats and they still wouldn't die {there were no mega power-ups on the level}. We should've been easily winning but were getting knocked around the gaff. We lost the game by a fair margin, acknowledged our defeat and walked off scratching our heads. The next day we went back to the machines we had been playing on and checked out the maps. Lo and behold, the level we had been playing on was an exact replica of the original with the exception that it contained a fake wall with about 100 mega-healths behind it!!! The b@stards had edited the map and got away with it. We really had a good laugh at that one.
    We planned some payback by placing Cyberdemons or something in place of the mega-healths on the hacked level - would have given them the shocks of their lives tongue.gif. Never came about though. I'll never forget that one as long as I live...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Alan

gah we been playing this too long smile.gif
    i started off with duke3d in 96 where i learnt my mousing skills, before starting xcom in feb 97 before going on to inc and then back to xcom and then on to cw. starting quake with the mouse gave a big advantage in those days seeing as almost no one else used it. remember loads of class games on indigo and especially qf97. that game vs reaper was cool and then being something like 5-0 up on zero on dm4 before i lost it completely and lost something ridiculous. fun was beating mickah on dm4 as well as he had never ever seen dm4 before in his life smile.gif.
    played some cool games in trinity with reaper etc. (the rematch from quakefest where he murdered me in trin). best quake memory ever has to be indigo ctf tho.. some of those games were just amazing. never made it to any other lans except quakelords where yet again after being ahead of zero by a couple of frags he beat me. zero, you are a ****. smile.gif
    it's cool to see all these old memories from people coming out now.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Speaking of oldschool n stuff, went rooting around on my hd, and found lots of ooooooold oooooold news stuff from 2 years ago, but its so unorganised i might throw it up at some other stage. Two things i did find that some of you might remember, the following two pics, one is for the Irish top ten, the other was for challenging for a place on the Hibs. Forgot i had em there.

challenge.jpg
    manfukt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Hey dev if you want irish quake history, just look at the GI site archives. They're the first irish clan and mouserat & cloud ran the first irish server - quake.ucg.ie.

My early days: Played as Dinky from ucg .. servers - zeta, chaos, ucg .. clans - spg, bfg, cd .. fav opponents - spandex, bobby-2, Chesney_Hawkes, Young_God (now 4k), Ettu (spank me again please ettu!) and a mate called gary. Was pretty crap but thought I was ace cos of my 45 ping. Left college. Formed cd (met some sound lads), quit and now duel on a mates lan about twice weekly.

The iqcl was the livliest tourney in irish quake imo and sorta the peak so far (in q1 terms). Though eric and rays duel compos and devs qp lan party were good too.

Advertisement