Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dlink DSL-504 slowing down

Options
  • 03-09-2003 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have eircom Solo, and have been using a Dlink DSL-504 router for a few months. After following the story on Netsource's pings, I tried my pings to a few sites. I found I was getting average 1500 ms! Also lost frames. I checked with i-Stream support, and they confirmed that they were getting good speeds up to my router, and then atrocious times.

I tried re-booting the router, and that seemed to solve the problem, back to 50-60 ms. But an hour later the bad times were back. Reset router again, same result. Tried Factory Reset and re-enter configuration, same result. Within an hour, the ping times deteriorate.

I'll see if there's a firmware update, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

whatever is left must be the cause..

Here is a new weird router problem - not yours though..

Have a look at the thread on "bad pings" from Netsource
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=1044601

--NetGear Routers Cause Inadvertent DoS on U of Wisconsin NTP Server
    (26 August 2003)
    A flaw in some NetGear router products causes them to launch
    unintentional denial-of-service attacks on the University of Wisconsin's
    Network Time Protocol (NTP) server. NetGear routers are designed to
    request the time from this server, but in the event they do not receive
    a response, a flaw in the products causes them to repeatedly send
    requests until they do receive a response. NetGear will provide funds
    for the university to strengthen its network. The flaw affects NetGear
    router models RP614, RP614v2, DG814, MR814 and HR314; a firmware patch
    is available on the company's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Thanks Capt'n Midnight, I was trying to increase the number of "what's left" possibilities. I tried the Firmware update route, only to find that the Dlink site offers a firmware version (1.14) which is older than what I have (2.20). Maybe there's a U.K. site. I'l follow up when I get back from Crete! (going tomorrow).

I want a WiFi router anyway, so that may solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

It must definitely be the router. I tried to reload the firmware, but it failed on a frame error. Then it wouldn't start up or respond to its web configuration page.

I've put the original modem back, and am getting steady 66ms average pings. (Normal for i-Stream with interleaving).

Amazon will be getting something back!

Advertisement