Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie's First Dive *PLEASE READ*

Options
  • 03-09-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Folks

Mehself and meh sister, offroadannie, have booked with Scuba Dive West for Saturday the 4th of October for 2 shore dives. We are open to change the dives depending on who else is diving and what they're up for but not the date.

Give SDW a ring on 095 43922 if you want to join us, I've booked under my name: Philip Smith, feel free to use it when you phone. We should discuss changes to the planned dives here before phoning SDW and causing confusion.

Our plan is to go down on Friday, maybe a few pints that night, and if it goes well we might do a dive on Sunday too :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Cool,

You don't fancy a few boat dives....i'd way prefer the boat than shore.

I just thought it would be a good idea to put our heads together so we can all do the same dives.

Heading down on friday is good...scoops
    Saturday night should be a good laugh, scoops.

It might be an idea to try and coordinate on the accomdation? Stay in the same place....

K2 is an ok spot but i'm getting abit sick of the hostel style accom...plus the breakfast there is PANTS! Nick, one of the owners, introduced me to the lady who runs a pud a few miles down the road whoch also has a B&B (mmmm how handy is that???) and the rates seemed pretty good. So did the pud.

Questions, Comments , Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm up for boat dives, dunno about Annie though. I'll get back to you this evening after I see if I can still pull the "iggle brudder" look off at thirty years of age.

Can you find out how much the B&B will cost Peace? Or send me the contact details.

That makes three, anybody else?

The place that Nick was on about is called
    The Bards Den: 095 41042
    Price:
    Single: 30
    Twin: 25 (pp i would assume)
    All rooms en suite with TV.

When i was there the owners seems like nice people. Now i didn't stay in the B&B but did have scoops in the pub. There was live music as far as i remember as well.

The availablitiy looks good at the moment. They have 11 rooms and 9/10 were free when i was on the phone. He did say that they tend to fill up on spec at the weekends so booking is reccommended to avoid dissapointment (ie. The car).

What say ye lowly maggots? Seems good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I'd say it has to be boat dives, it's the only way to go.
    The Bard's Den seemed nice enough last time alright. We got a great feed there last time. God knows the breakfast has to be better than K2.

Boat dives it is then! Has anyone else booked yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm def in for the Sat. Phil I'm Pming you my number can you call me to discuss arrangements. Here are my suggestions....

Firstly boat dive as shore dives in SDW are shíte.
    Instructor led dive as we have never dived together before. If there is a group going it shouldn't cost much.

Opinions ?

-- Edit phil can you empty a few PM's? You mailbox is full. Or you can PM me your number --

Done and done Dave :)

<additional/>

I think a led dive is a great idea, I haven't dived in a while. I will be diving on the east coast before though.

So who has booked onto the dive then?

AFAIK there's Myself, offroadannie and daveg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Shane Grey is the guy that owns SDW afair. He's an ok guy to deal with, my dad dealt with him for years. There is a hostel up the road, trying to remember the name of it, I think it was called .... nope can't remember. Went there a few times, good crack and you get served brekky and dinner.

Don't know the cost at all. The harbour up there is just brilliant for a snorkel or a shallow dive. Vis can be very good.

Slaan.

MickL and Peace said they were interested in the other thread for October. Lads you coming along? Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmm I'd be interested in coming along, mainly to check out the snorkelling but I'd like to do 1 dive on the second day if there is one. That way I'm free to go Snorkelling and Spear-fishing the first day, if it's any good, you can count on some dinner :)

I'm only a lvl1 diver so will need to be led and rent all the gear apart from wetsuit, fins, mask, weightbelt. Does anyone have prices handy or do I need to ring em and find out?

I'm planning on getting down there for Friday afternoon to get a quick snorkel in, scout the area (unless local info is good). I'll snorkel Saturday morning and dive with ye in the afternoon :D

Where exactly is this based?

MickL and Peace said they were interested in the other thread for October. Lads you coming along? Anyone else?

Yup interested...sorry about the delay but i've been on holiers....ya know how it is ;)

The story goes like so....i booked 3 dives for the weekend (boat dives) but it will have to be 4 since the 3 dives would leave me on 99 dives for the end of the season which is just not acceptable. So 2 dives saturday and 2 dives sunday.

Accomodation is the Bards Den - thats already sorted on my end.

Tact - go to --edit--www.scubadivewest.com as this is the place where the trip is organised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ok, looks good, I won't make up my mind till mid-week but the price is right :)

Guy's I'm going to PM all those who have expressed an interest in the diving weekend. I will then ring SDW to make the "groups" arrangments. Bascially I'm wondering do we all want to do boat dives and also do we want an instructor to lead the dive/s. Please review costs below. Can you all please reply to the PM questionaire ASAP so I can arrange with SDW. Anyone else interested in diving who has not expressed an interest in this thread please PM myself or Phil.

Complete Diving Gear (full Day) & Two boat dives €88
    Led Dive with Instructor or Divemaster €24 per dive.

If your lucky enough to have your own gear:

Offshore Diver (incl 2 dives & tanks) €69

Additional Rental Accessories:
    Hoods or Hose €4
    Compass €6
    Torch €9

Just an after thought if we are staying overnight anyone fancy a night dive :ninja:

Right PM gone to all. Let me know what the story is... I'll then ring SDW and tell them were booking as a group so were all on the same boat so to speak. Anyone else interested in diving who has not posted on this thread let us know.

Originally posted by TacT
    ok, looks good, I won't make up my mind till mid-week but the price is right :)

Tact did you decide if you were up for it??

Daveg...how did the organising go?

Is everyone all systems go for the weekend?? Is everyone staying in bards den? Did you guys get lead dives?

It looks like my arrival time will be about 2200(ofcourse this depends on traffic) so what time will you guys be down at?

I have a feeling i'll have a wicked thirst on me so i'll defo be down at the bar sinking a few eye closers hopefully before 2230.

We're coming down early on Saturday morning so we'll see you then. I think we're staying in the hostel though, to save money.

I'm booking today. I just wanted to finalise booking arrangments with Phil (check PM).

The overall consensus is:

Drop the instructor led dive (dive as a group)
    2 boat dives Sat & Sunday

Slaanesh - Wont be diving. Tact is out due to exams and cash.

I'd say I'll just Dive on the Sat and head back to Galway after.

Any interest in the night dive?

2 other thoughts... I'll PM my number to those diving so we can arrnage to meetup. Also if anyone needs a lift from Galway let me know.

Guy's I have just rang SWD. Phil/MickL they had no bookings under your names (he said it could have been filled in for the wrong date). I made a group booking for us all:

MickL & peace ----> 2 boat dives Sat/Sunday
    Phil & sister
    > 2 boat dives Sat/Sunday
    Myself
    > 2 boat dives Sat (said I may do Sunday as well).
    (I used your own names not your boards names :p. He might have thought I was strange booking for evilphil)

I asked if we could do the wreck dive if possible. He said it depends on weather and bookings.

He said to be there before 9:30am !!!

PM'ing my number to those diving. Any Q's or comments please post.

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    I think we're staying in the hostel though, to save money.

Eh i think there's about a 15 euro difference in the price of accomodation (actually it might be more like 10)> Wouldn't it be better to get everyone under the same roof....10 euro would be a small price to pay. Plus you have to pay an extra 3e for a ****e breakfast in K2....and lads i've stayed there a good few time and i'm sick of pitching up with a hangover and trying to firce down the slop the put on you plate. So factpor in the 3 euro plate of ****e and you're really talking about 7-12 euro saving....

AFAIK there's only a final count of 5 for the weekend and i know myself and mickl are staying in bards den. EvilPHil if you're adamant about that 7-12 euro then fine, the hostel for u guys. DaveG did you sort accomodation...if so where did you go for?

And another thing....the bar in K2 closes around 9/9.30 so if you want more beers you have to pay 10 euro each for a taxi into lenaaun. so lemme do some maths here

Bards den: 30euro per night , including breakfast with bar downstairs...no tranportation costs. TOTAL: 30euro

K2: 15 euro pernight, 3 euro for breakfast , 10 euro for taxi. TOTAL: 28euro.

So seriousoly for that 2 euro would you rather have all us beer swilling divers under one roof????

Originally posted by Peace
    Eh i think there's about a 15 euro difference in the price of accomodation (actually it might be more like 10)> Wouldn't it be better to get everyone under the same roof....10 euro would be a small price to pay. Plus you have to pay an extra 3e for a ****e breakfast in K2....and lads i've stayed there a good few time and i'm sick of pitching up with a hangover and trying to firce down the slop the put on you plate. So factpor in the 3 euro plate of ****e and you're really talking about 7-12 euro saving....

AFAIK there's only a final count of 5 for the weekend and i know myself and mickl are staying in bards den. EvilPHil if you're adamant about that 7-12 euro then fine, the hostel for u guys. DaveG did you sort accomodation...if so where did you go for?

And another thing....the bar in K2 closes around 9/9.30 so if you want more beers you have to pay 10 euro each for a taxi into lenaaun. so lemme do some maths here

Bards den: 30euro per night , including breakfast with bar downstairs...no tranportation costs. TOTAL: 30euro

K2: 15 euro pernight, 3 euro for breakfast , 10 euro for taxi. TOTAL: 28euro.

So seriousoly for that 2 euro would you rather have all us beer swilling divers under one roof????

LoL peace.... way to make an argument.

I'm only diving on the Sat peace so I'd say I'll drive back after the dive/few drinks/food ect on Sat. I'm from galway so the drive isn't far.

• Advertisement

Ah sure god loves a trier...:D

Slight change of plans for myself, major change of plans for my sister. She's decided to go diving in Brazil for three weeks so will not be joining us. I will then be travelling on Friday night to Galway City, I'll know my exact travel arrangements tonight and and will be travelling back from Galway City on Sunday evening at 6 o'clock (hopefully). Can somebody give me a lift in either direction?

I can probably get a bus from Killary on Sunday so its Friday night I really need.

Oh, and I'm staying in Bards Den in honour of Peace's hard sell :)

3 week sin Brazil vs 1 weekend in Killary...must have been a tough decision alright

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

very tough! but will tag along next time with you guys

Phil,
    PM me your number - depending on the time i might be able to sort you out..

3 week sin Brazil vs 1 weekend in Killary...must have been a tough decision alright

pfffffft.

I know what i'd pick.

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    Can somebody give me a lift in either direction?

If you wanna travel first thing Sat morning with me phil I'll give ya a lift. Ring me if it's any good...

I'm not sure if you guy's will get his message before you leave tonight but SDW still hadn't our booking sorted out. I'm just off the phone and in order for us to dive together we dive at 12pm and 4pm. We need to be there for 11am. You have my number if there are any probs.

Phil - No problem on the lift. Give me a buzz.

All things considered I think that went well. Lots of congers, lots of lobsters, lots of beer..maybe a bit too much beer.

• Advertisement

The rest of you lazy bástards better come to the next one.

Advertisement