Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice wanted?

• 03-09-2003 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

I run my father company payroll from the internet. i can only do this at weekends because i am away during the week at college.

to solve this problem the company is purchasing a laptop to allow me to access the internet via mobile phone.

My question is what it the fastest and cheapest way to access the full internet via a laptop and and a mobile.

What do i need on the laptop and phone in order to do this.I should state that its is vodafone and the company is very small but this needs to be done.

I cant access the net from a landline as its tomcuh hassle to get it setup in the house where i am staying.

thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not a mobile solution but:
    how about via an internet cafe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

It's not going to be cheap whatever way you do it, a 6310i is probably your best bet using HSCSD or GPRS dpending on your plan. If it's only data you want the phone for and the company has sharetime they are doing good deals on the mobile connect card which only does GPRS, data rates are cheaper on that, But it's still going to be much dearer than a landline. It's not as fast either, your going to notice that straight away.
    If it's web based application doesnt your college have web access?? It might even have wireless access and you would just need a wireless card for the laptop. Most colleges have web access for students on pc's in house you might not need anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

hi irishgeo
    it depends on a number of issues.
    Will u be logging on to a website to do the wages?
    Will you be using a payroll package and emailing wage slips etc?

Also a standard laptop and mobile connection is not v fast. Mine shows a 28.8k connection when connected using a Nokia 6310i and a toshiba laptop but websites and email seem to take ages.

How about getting a standard laptop but with a wifi card and then do your work on a wireless 'net connection? The only one I know that is free is at the chester beatty library in Dublin Castle. Are u in Dublin?

You could go in and have your lunch while doing the wages.

Did you say you were away from home cos you were at college? If so why not use a machine at your college?

Ok, hope that helps.
    jt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A net cafe sounds like a better way to go I reckon.

Even if you need to have the laptop to store the companys details on, you can go into one like Does Not Compute (if you live in Dublin) and plug it into their network.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What about a Wirless ISP?

High Speed Data and GPRS are the best two options. GPRS would be the best option if you are going to be transferring relatively low amounts of data over longer periods of time, i.e. if the connection is going to be left idle for periods of time..

Otherwise, if you are going to transfter large amounts of data in a short period of time and the line is not going to be left idle, I would be inclined to use HSCSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

sorry for being late with this as only here since yesterday.

what you have to do first is to either download drivers from nokia.com or if you still have the cd that came with the handset then install that,you have 3 connection methods 1)bluetooth 2)cable (dlr3p needed) 3) i.r. if you are using ir and win 2000 you may need to download an ir com patch than once all this is done contact vodafones isp to have a manual connection done,i have this with o2 but the dns and prob dial up would be different but over gprs you can set the baud rate to 57600 which is the same speed as a ll :D but there is one other setting you need and that is the extra settings in your fone and modem options and that is at+cgdcont=1,"IP","open.internet" also your gprs modem access point on your handset has to be set to open.internet but as i said this is o2 settings and may be diff on vodafone:(

Hope that helped a small bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

thanks for the reply guys.
    i think i'll go with HSCSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

no worries Irishgeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would imagine that using a Net Café is likely to be your best option. Otherwise two other possible options are possible.

If the interface (Web based, I assume) to the company payroll application is straightforward enough, you might convert the necessary HTML pages to WML or XHTML and access them using a WAP phone.

Another option would be to use a phone that can act as a modem with a laptop which would have the necessary means to connect to the phone (Infra Red, Bluetooth, RS-232 Serial port) and connect normally, albeit slowly, from there.

Advertisement