Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords

Options
  • 03-09-2003 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Me and my mate are movin in to our flat tommorow. Just wondering what the story is with landlords comin in to the flat. Can they go in and snoop when we aren't there? Can they just show up unannounced when we are there and come in??? Anyone sharre some enlightenment???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ImpactPlayer
    Me and my mate are movin in to our flat tommorow.
    I presume you are sharing it together, you haven't been lumped together by the landlord and that the landlord doesn't live with you.
    Can they go in and snoop when we aren't there?
    No absolutely not. Its illegal entry / burglary and / or harassment if they do. You are entitled to you privacy. What if you were wandering around the living room, butt naked, but for a (dead) turkey at waist height..... ;)
    Can they just show up unannounced when we are there and come in???
    Not normally. Your rent agreement / rent book / lease will usually stipulate a notice period before which the landlord must give notice to enter (at a reasonable hour of your choosing). You are perfectly entitled to be there when the landlord is there. The apartment can be as messy / tidy as you like and the landlord has no right to comment (save health or fire hazard / permanent damage / etc.). If they do show up announced, just say you have a lady visitor (or whatever) and could he call back later.

You are entitled to change the keys, but you should notify the landlord of this.

One proviso on this is if, say there was a burst pipe in your apartment that was leaking into another premises, the landlord could then enter (having knocked first, etc.).

Advertisement