Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce college anyone?

Options
  • 03-09-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well... i needed to do something... I've decided to attend Bruce college in Cork for my final year of school.

I've never done a moments study in my life. I still got A's and B's but in the last 2years my marks dropped severely. I lost interest in schoolwork and i was getting in trouble in school. For my 5th yr end of year exams i skipped a couple and did fairly poorly in the ones i attended. The school counsillor told me my points could be damn near 600 if i applied myself (using aptitude tests etc). I felt i couldnt carry on in my school as i hadn't listened at all during 5th yr and i couldnt see myself making the effort to catch up.
    I've also taken up a new subject as i'm exempt from Irish. Biology. Someone told me ill NEVER do it in one year. However seeing as 4 days a week ill be at school 12 hours a day i think i might be able to catch up.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on these schools are? Will this help me or have i left it just too damn late? Am I throwing 5grand away? I have never studied in my LIFE (true) will i be able to now?

:confused:

The principle told me tis a gamble but i just don't see any other option. My sights are set on psychology in trinners, 550points this year. I really dont know if i have the willpower... and will i have to give up counter-strike? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Kold
    Well... i needed to do something... I've decided to attend Bruce college in Cork for my final year of school.

I've never done a moments study in my life. I still got A's and B's but in the last 2years my marks dropped severely. I lost interest in schoolwork and i was getting in trouble in school. For my 5th yr end of year exams i skipped a couple and did fairly poorly in the ones i attended. The school counsillor told me my points could be damn near 600 if i applied myself (using aptitude tests etc). I felt i couldnt carry on in my school as i hadn't listened at all during 5th yr and i couldnt see myself making the effort to catch up.
    I've also taken up a new subject as i'm exempt from Irish. Biology. Someone told me ill NEVER do it in one year. However seeing as 4 days a week ill be at school 12 hours a day i think i might be able to catch up.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts on these schools are? Will this help me or have i left it just too damn late? Am I throwing 5grand away? I have never studied in my LIFE (true) will i be able to now?

:confused:

The principle told me tis a gamble but i just don't see any other option. My sights are set on psychology in trinners, 550points this year. I really dont know if i have the willpower... and will i have to give up counter-strike? :eek:

I went to Bruce College Cork to repeat my Leaving Cert. I have to say, it was an excellent decsion. I met some of the coolest people, had a great time and got a good leaving cert behind me to boot.

I wouldn't worry about not studying in 5th year, most people are in the same boat as you. If you're still worried, remember that Bruce covers all it's subjects in a year, so if you did nothing for 5th year you can catch up. As for taking up biology, it's certainly possible to cover the entire course in a year. If you're any way mathematically orientated you should take up physics, there is hardly any learning in it, the maths is a doddle and the physics teacher in Bruce is super. If learning lists and reams of paper is your forté then go for business or economics.

Oh and don't be a snob about Trinity, psychology in UCC is something like 500 and is the self same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

not havin done ne study in 5th year isnt a problem, apply urself this year and u shud get on grand. btw i played bout an hour of cstrike every schoolday during me lc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

psychology is a great course, and it doesnt matter if you do it in tcd or ucd.
    even if you break your aim during your leaving you'll prolly still get enough to do it in arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

Hello! Im in 6th year in bruce college this year, so I will be in ur year. My name Is Róisín, so hello! hehe. Ill look out for you. I have been in bruce since 1st year and have never been disappointed, so I cant see how you would be! I dont know what U want to know about bruce, but By all means E-mail me and I will b delighted to help.. I can tell you anything about teachers, students, study, etc that I know.. I am well used to the run of things as you can imagine! Drop me a line, and see ya on the 15th prob! roisingarvey@hotmail.com (I have msgr)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

As for the mathematical stuff, here's my aptitude test results in percentile (99 means 100% etc) The ones i remember anyway...

Mechanical Reasoning: 99
    Verbal reasoning:90
    Abstract Reasoning:92

God i cant remember the other ones but none of them were under 80 except for

Mathematical Reasoning:30 Rofl

The fact of the matter is that i've never been particularly academic and i'm not really sure i'll have the will power to study...
    However i've always done better at subjects like biology, art and english.

Roisin i added you to msn :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well I certainly never stopped playing cs in 6th year during the week. I'd only be on ever after ten though. I could never understand why people would give it up? Just limit it if you have to. Personally I havent watch more then 2 hours of t.v in a couple of months, and even that would be pushing it.
    Long live c0uNt3r-Str1k3!
    And I was happy with my points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yea, but u suck :P

Advertisement