Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOBO Forum

Options
  • 03-09-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, any chance of a Hip Hop/R&B/UK Garage basically Music Of Black Origin forum? Sorry for posting here, just didnt know where to inquire
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I hate that term 'music of black origin'. Smacks of racism to me. Methinks there'd be uproar if there were ever a 'music of white origin' award ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Kold
    Just wondering, any chance of a Hip Hop/R&B/UK Garage basically Music Of Black Origin forum? Sorry for posting here, just didnt know where to inquire

Ask devore methinks. If you get enough people showing support for it he'll create a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think this one belongs to the feedback/suggestions board...

While I dont think a Hip-Hop, R&B or whatever forum would be a bad idea, but I agree with xx on the term MOBO. Not only does it stink of unnessicary seperatism in terms, but where exactly is the line to be drawn on what is considered 'Black' origin? I mean, Jazz, Blues, Samba, you name it... I'm pretty sure a lot of styles have black roots and it just doesn't seem right to lump them together as a genre of music, now does it?

But asthetics of this aside, if there's support for a hip hop, or whatnot forum then yes, it should be great.

...moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Where is the PC of this world ever going to end. I actually don't mind the term "Black Music" Hip-hop, RAP, R&B where/are all considered "Black Music" by people who know what they are talking about. However I think that a board dedicated to it would be a bit of an overkill.

Have to say that the PC element,reflected in this thread, stinks of the same kind of people that would call a "Manhole" a "personhole" and a "Blackhole" a "Hole of indeterminate gravity which could be considered a place of blackness"

FFS!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd consider jazz and blues as Music of Black Origin. Mostly because they are (I quite like a bit of Miles Davis myself). Do they go in the forum too? Or rock'n'roll? (even the term originated with black people)

Sweet shag all to do with being PC imho. I'm not a great fan of PCness, I just think the term "MOBO" is a little vague, even if the term is generally used. Then again, I've never forgiven the world for replacing "sex" with "gender" when not talking about nouns. Or Americans for dumping any word that includes "cock" or "tit".

<rant>
    Or most of all - people who don't want to use the term "rapeseed" any more because they don't understand that the word for the plant comes from the Latin for turnip. Canola me arse. Idiots.
    </rant>

Is there are more accurate term than "MOBO" then? Or is this the accepted albeit inaccurate term for "not jazz and blues but yes to R&B (if it has a drum machine) music of black origin"?

I'll give it my vote if I can talk about jazz and sam and dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Does the music board really need to be cut up more though? I dont see a need to categorize every piece of music. Personally, i think there should just be one music board. Is there even that much traffic on Dance/Electronic Rock/Metal to warrant their own boards (discounting the "Best Ever Band" type threads) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Although Hip-Hop is my music genre of choice, I don't think it needs a board. There wouldnt be enough traffic, even with Jazz, Blues, Rnb, Garage etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think there would be a response to such a forum. I mean I basically requested one because i wanted to discuss my favourite genres of music. I wouldn't mind moderating such a forum as I love hiphop music.

Well the rock and metal forum is quite popular and i dont see why a MOBO (ignores pc discussion) forum couldn't be just as popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feck it I want my own FutureMusicCorp board.....Enough boards already!!!!!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So is this being considered or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement