Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA n Isreal war on Arabic by Al-Jazeera

Options
  • 03-09-2003 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Al-Jazeera have pointed out how much of the Arab hatred directed at the US/UK comes from the Isreal issue in palestine, Al Jazerra now launches English web site to tell this
    The Arab satellite station Al-Jazeera launched an English-language web site , and they often point out the problem in Jerusalem where christians Muslems and Arabs ofetn don't get the same rights as the Hebrew Isreali citizen.
    aljazeera.net had been covering the war in Iraq and was soon brought down by US hackers.
    The Arabic site also was unavailable for long periods during the war.

U.S., British officials have criticized Al-Jazeera's coverage of events in the Middle say the station is not pro-US and full of bias, but are Al jezerra correct, is the War Hungry Sharon of Isreal part of why so many Moslems dislike the USA and UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

does the Arab newstation have bias, is it correct in what it says about Isreal, or is it politically motivated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I doubt it's possible to be completely unbiased, but even if it is biased, it's better to hear the story from both sides than to only hear one side's take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

It's right on the Israel/Palistine issue.
    US support for Israel is one of the primary sore-points in the Arabic world.

Yes it's biased.
    Al Jazeera is very biased.
    Because it's for an Arabic audience.

But the US saying this- well that's rich innit?!
    Not like CNN & Fox @ all huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They're Arabs. Of course they're biased about Israel.

Israelis are biased about Arab countries that surround them.

It's the way things are.

So it is biased, it may be correct and it's probably politically motivated.

It's tradtional that you post some kind of a view on something when you post a new thread in the Politics forum

actually, it's a rule but let's say "traditional"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 soxs

i think that al jazeera is sort of refreshing.
    i don't agree with them airing saddam tapes or bin ladden for that matter but as was said earlier a different perspective is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Opinion can never really be unbiased, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I would have to agree,
    I like the section where its gives you the history of Iraq and a summary of the different political groups, I also like the oil pipeline maps and the cartoons etc...

As for being biased it doesn't viscerally disturb me like Fox news does.

Also, as I said in the thread below, being biased is all relative to where you are living and what your circumstances are. Although I do think they are correct as far as the Israeli/Palastine situation.

I don't really know who owns it, or who its run by..I have heard that the saudi royal family have a stake in it..and I'd like to know if anyone does....

war news thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by soxs
    i don't agree with them airing saddam tapes or bin ladden for that matter but as was said earlier a different perspective is good

Why do you disagree? Is there any difference in Saddam the mass murderer calling for Jihad, compare with Bush the mass murderer asking for an unholy war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Its not just the Israel/Palestine issue that has caused the "hatred" (and I don't particularly like that term, because not all arabs hate the west)... however its more a deeply seeded distrust due to the decades (nearly a century in fact) of western countries (and the USSR in their day) involvement/influence/hampering in both the politics of the middle-east and national politics of the individual countries for their own financial and economic benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 soxs

i remember reading during the war that al-jazeera was started by the king (or whatever) of Qatar and is totally independent of the government.

i think saddam is actually helping america with those tapes.
    Bush needs an enemy to fight now, a cause to fight for and saddam is giving him that cause by airing those tapes asking for americans to be killed.

i'm in america at present and everytime a new tape comes out its all over the networks and you they have these 'experts' in to keep drumming the war beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by bloggs
    Why do you disagree? Is there any difference in Saddam the mass murderer calling for Jihad, compare with Bush the mass murderer asking for an unholy war?

Depends on how you define "jihad?"

Some people believe the war was necessary given all the facts. Some people think it was not necessary given the lack of facts. But to compare Bush to Hitler is like comparing Ireland to the USSR. They are not even in the same ballpark.

Originally posted by Geromino
    But to compare Bush to Hitler...
    He's comparing Bush with Hussein. No-one has mentioned Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by sceptre
    He's comparing Bush with Hussein. No-one has mentioned Hitler.

Either way, it is completely illogical to make such comparisons between the two, unless it only makes you feel good in what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

I don't think there is anything illogical in comparing two arch-nemisis with one another. It is what you learn in schools/colleges in reading of shakespere... To compare enemies you learn what motivates them respectivly. You learn about their hatred and weaknesses.

It can be reasonalbly assumed that there would have still been a September 11th whether or not BUsh was president. But would there be a war in Iraq against Saddam[best buddie of Osama](or so we are told :rolleyes: ) ? I don't think so. The Bush and Hussain families are like the rival families in a play

The more i think about this idea the more I laugh.
    Will there be plays about this :D

Originally posted by Geromino
    Either way, it is completely illogical to make such comparisons between the two, unless it only makes you feel good in what you believe.
    Hey, don't look at me - I just pointed out that no-one but you mentioned the little guy with the bad haircut.

Tell him (and the rest of us) why it's illogical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Like most news coverage and particularily involving politics around the world the truth is somewhere in between, and it's the same with Al-Jazeera.
    Though to be fair they're not that bad really compared to other Arab news stations who wouldn't say 'boo' to all those corrupt Arab leaders.

Advertisement