Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buddhism v. Meditation

• 03-09-2003 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I see from their news letter that the Dublin branch of the FWBO is changing it's name from the Dublin Meditation Centre to the Dublin Buddhist Centre.

This I see as another sign that Buddhists more and more willing to stand up and be counted rather than apologising for their faith and trying to hide behind the term "meditation" so that the general public will not be put off.

Personally I never liked the approach of those groups which do not say up front that they are Buddhist - I think it's unfair to the people who do go along. Also I think that the general public is much more informed on Buddhist beliefs and more interested in it than in a glorified relaxation techinque which is all that shamatha meditation is when removed from it's Buddhist context.

Anyone else got a view on this?

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I've never known a Buddhist to be all that apologetic. I can say that all my years in Ireland it gives me some pleasure to tell people that I am a Buddhist. Politically, it keeps me from being associated with any of the cultural sectarianism one finds here. ;) I find that people usually does an "oh, wow, cool" when I say I'm a Buddhist. Sometimes it leads on to an interesting conversation; sometimes it's probably a nice way of saying "yeah whatever" though....

When I was introduced to meditation in Arizona (long ago) it was not in a Buddhist context. My teacher was eclectic; there was some emphasis on some important Theosophical texts, notably Light on the Path and Through the Gates of Gold by Mabel Collins, which I still find useful and inspiring.

I am not sure what the general public knows about Buddhist "beliefs" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mickmacdublin

I was principally referring to Buddhist organisations that advertise meditation classes without saying that they are in fact Buddhist for fear it will put people off. I don't think this is necessary and don't think actually it ever was necessary.

As regards individuals I do know some people who like to keep their beliefs private and that's fine - it's up to them. They no doubt have personal or family reasons. I for instance do not broadcast the fact to work colleagues.

However people do seem to be alot more up on Buddhism that even 5-10 yrs ago. I think this primarily due to the prominence of the Dalai Lama and a spate of films like Little Buddha, Kundun etc from a few years ago - it is also covered now in the religious studies curricula at inter and leaving cert.

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I can't imagine a Buddhist organizations advertising meditation classes without saying that they are in fact Buddhist, but if you've encountered it I can see your point. I mean, it's not really right speech to "trick" people into finding about Buddhism, is it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mickmacdublin

I don't think it is necessarily a conscious "tricking" of people just a misinformed fear that people will not wish to learn meditation if it is sold as part of a religion. Personally I don't think one can get any real benefit from meditation unless one also takes on the moral teachings so trying to sell meditation on its own is a bit of a waste of time.

Also, when people do discover that the organisation has religious affiliations that were not previously mentioned I think the reaction would most likely but negative. Best to put all the cards on the table and let people take it or leave it in my opinion.

Also I think, as people seemed to be more clued in than they used to be, they are not really interested in meditation on its own - if they ever were.

Mick

Advertisement