Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power line or 802.11b for a small home network

Options
  • 04-09-2003 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I haven't thought this through fully yet but I want to set up a small home network with two PCs and an occasional laptop.

Main function is to share a (yet to be installed) broadband internet connection but also for sharing files, printers and scanners.

I couldn't be bothered running a cable between the machines (they are at opposite ends of the house and on different floors) so I believe my choice boils down to wireless (802.11b) or powerline. The following link shows both types at Marx_computers:http://www.marx-computers.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

Wireless would seem to work out cheaper for one ethernet access point and two USB adapters. I haven't heard much about powerline networks but intuitively it strikes me that a network which uses wires is probably going to be faster and more reliable than a wireless one.

Any advice / comments would be appreciated particularly if you have any experience of powerline networks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

11b and 11g stuff is very reliable once its in place (indoors) and working.

The listed spped of the power option is 14 mbs

11b is 11mbs
    11g is 54mbs

Havent seen the powerline stuff at all yet so cannt help ya there...

Advertisement