Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The many paradoxes of broadband

Options
  • 04-09-2003 10:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[Mods, could you move this to Policy, leaving a redirect?]

This is a long read but contains some valuable information.
    The many paradoxes of broadband by Andrew Odlyzko

There is much dismay and even despair over the slow pace at which broadband is advancing in the United States. This slow pace is often claimed to be fatally retarding the recovery of the entire IT industry. As a result there are increasing calls for government action, through regulation or even through outright subsidies.

A careful examination shows that broadband is full of puzzles and paradoxes, which suggests caution before taking any drastic action. As one simple example, the basic meaning of broadband is almost universally misunderstood, since by the official definition, we all have broadband courtesy of the postal system. Also, broadband penetration, while generally regarded as disappointingly slow, is actually extremely fast by most standards, faster than cell phone diffusion at a comparable stage. Furthermore, many of the policies proposed for advancing broadband are likely to have perverse effects. There are many opportunities for narrowband services that are not being exploited, some of which might speed up broadband adoption.

There are interesting dynamics to the financial and technological scenes that suggest broadband access may arrive sooner than generally expected. It may also arrive through unexpected channels. On the other hand, fiber-to-the-home, widely regarded as the Holy Grail of residential broadband, might never become widespread. In any case, there is likely to be considerable turmoil in the telecom industry over the next few years. Robust growth in demand is likely to be combined with a restructuring of the industry.

[...]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Yeah, well in ireland anything faster than 128k is MENT to be broadband when in fact broadband is a term for speeds over 7Mb/sec to my recollection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You could argue about the definition till the cows come home. Personally, I've always felt the line - for now - should be drawn at 512/128. For now. However I also view capped products as flawed implementations from start to finish. There's no reason I shouldn't set up ISO downloads at 4am when there's very few people on, and there's no reason I couldn't be throttled if there did happen to be a few people on. Caps offend me.

adam

Advertisement