Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB2.0 removable hard disk - os problem

• 04-09-2003 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Need some advice,

I bought a usb 2.0 hard drive cage to use for test etc etc..

I have installed a Hictachi travelstar 30 gig drive into it.

Now my question is : can i install a operating system(winxp pro) on to the hard drive,

The system see's the drive in the setups as a usb hard drive, and it loads the files onto the drive, but when the system reboots to start the install, i get a blue screen of death....

any help would be appreciated .....

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I believe that it all depends on the motherboard / bios .... I do know there is at least one manufacturer that makes them, the MSI KT4 Ultra - FISR works, but like I said, you may need a bios update ... a bit of research is called for to see if your one is compatible ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Thanks bigejit,

Unfortunately i need this to work on a particular type of laptop whcih i do tech support and hardware support on....so i know there isnt any bios updates for it......oh well.....i'll have to use this toy for personal use so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

Sounds like u are using an IBM Laptop?

Is the usb drive set as master or slave?

In the Bios is usb 2.o enabled,

I have seen some laptops trying to use usb 1.1.

check to make sure USB 2.o is enabled.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have been able to install an OS on my USB2 hard drive. Windows loads the driver for USB2 from the primary hard drive, then loads Windows from the USB2 drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Soz Praetorian,

I dont fully understand you????

can you explain.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

On one of my pc's at work the primary OS is Win2k. I decided to install Windows XP onto my USB2 drive. Windows XP setup gave me the option to install to my h: drive (usb2 drive). When I reboot my machine I get an option to load Win2k (my primary IDE hard drive) or WINXP (my USB2 hard drive). If however I only have my USB2 drive plugged up, then neither OS's will work, because I believe the driver for accessing the USB2 drive is located on my primary hard drive (C:). The boot.ini file is defnitely on the C: drive.

I know some motherboards have the option of booting from USB, mine doesn't.

I hope this is clear. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Try a different OS like Red Hat 9

Advertisement