Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy / sell stocks

Options
  • 04-09-2003 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hello,

New to the boards site, want to see if anyone has any information on buying stocks. Trying to buy stock in a US company from here and the costs are huge. Anyone know any tricks around this? There is a web site based out of the uk, £14.99 per trade regardless of how many stocks you buy, but you got to have a uk bank account to use this.

Any help would be great!

j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Don't know if this is any use to you never tried it myself so can't comment https://www.sharebuilder.com/ If you use it report back and say how it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Hi,

Thanks for that, went through the steps to reg, but u have got to be a US citizen :( .
    so it would allow us to go through. The is a site from the UK called E-trade but u have to have an account based out of the UK.

again, thanks anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You can open an account with etrade.com with an Irish address. Watch out for their account maintenance fees if your account will hold less than $10k in value.

Check out the 'Best Buys' list from Askaboutmoney.com for details of the cheapest Irish brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I've been using etrade.com for 3 years, had no problems and the charges are very reasonable. If you opt for that tick yes to the bit that offers you a cheque book - when you sell your shares at an enormous profit its handy to be able to drop into your local bank, write yourself a dollar cheque for the amount you want to withdraw and lodge it. The for filling is a bit of a mountain at the outset, but its plain sailing after that.

I have also bought and sold US shares using my goodbody online account. Not quite as seemless as etrade for US shares, and the charges are a bit higher, but if you were mainly interested in Irish/UK and only wanted the occasional US flutter its a simpler option.

OK, so now we expect at least 3 hot tips in return for all this assistance............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

I have used etrade myself for a few years but am changing to internaxx.com drop them a line and they should be able to send you out a trading form. First 5 trades free free transfer of trades from existing stockbrokers and cheap trading rates. Also luxembourg has gentle tax laws if you know what i mean...

• Advertisement
Advertisement