Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cops' private cars to be clamped" - Want to bet?

Options
  • 04-09-2003 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Report in today's Irish Times says that from next Monday privately owned cars in the vicinity of garda stations will be clamped by Control plus on behalf of the Council.

Quote "This looks like it might come to a head. Gardai need their cars they can't just deflate them and budle them up" one annoyed Garda told the Irish Times.

Will clamping cop cars work? 20 votes

Yes Gardai are model law abiding citizens and will commute by bus from now on.
    0% 0 votes
    No. Sure the Gardai are above the law and will force the Council to back off
    25% 5 votes
    Yes but he tax payer will end up buying the most expensive parking spaces in town to calm them down
    55% 11 votes
    Err most Gardai will opt to work from home.
    20% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

I think garda private cars will be clamped (as the clampers won't know the difference) and the garda will just write off the charge against an expense (we will pay).

Or the private garda cars will get special stickers so they can park where they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

but what should they do?
    If they're out on the beat (the few that ever are) they can hardly be running back to Store st to feed the meter every two hours.

"All units, Robbery in Progress on O'Connell st."

"Crap! the meter runs out in two minutes. I'd better run"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Private cars should always have been clamped. It's unmarked cars that pose the problem here. How do the clampers identify unmarked cars while criminals should remain unaware of the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

this is nothing new and of of course correct everybody else has to pay up and the cop's have too as well
    I think the real problem is the lack of space for official vehicles
    especially around Pearse St , the Bridewell etc in Dublin City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    I think the real problem is the lack of space for official vehicles
    especially around Pearse St , the Bridewell etc in Dublin City Centre
    Pearse Street has about 40 spaces (rear to kerb) out front and space for bikes and a paddy wagon at the back and doesn't the Bridewell have a yard and parkign on Church Street (and a Luas stop!)?

If they really need more space then the An Post building behind Pearse Street (Townsend St) is for sale - it has plenty of parking. Or buy the car dealer's yard behind the Bridewell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Kananga
    but what should they do?
    If they're out on the beat (the few that ever are) they can hardly be running back to Store st to feed the meter every two hours.

Do whatever anyone else who wants get into town, and who can't get to where its parked every few hours to feed a meter????

a) Don't drive. Use public transport.
    b) Put the car in a park-and-ride, and use public transport
    c) put the car in a car-park, and pay the usurious charges.
    d) Get someone who is going to be near the car to feed it for you (less common, but does happen).

These are the options available to the average law-abiding citizen has available to him/her. However, I'm sure that the clampers, courts, and indeed the police would be very understanding if all of these people simply started treating the law with the same disdain that some of its "guardians" do.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

a) Don't drive. Use public transport.
    b) Put the car in a park-and-ride, and use public transport

Two good ideas!

Except that the majority of car using commuters need to use their car to get into town as public transport is crap and in many cases dangerous for girls!

What park and ride?

If I see the triple parked private cars owned by the Gardai clamped I will be astounded. Expect to see less of the cars parked for a few weeks and then normal business will be restored with the cars parked in any way that they like.

A question, why is there one parking law for you and me and the Gardai consistently ignore it in their parking of private cars?

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Yeah they should be clamped why should they be allowed to park illegally. They dont use their private vehicles for gardai duties.
    The only problem I can see is their shift hours one shift starts at 6am one starts at 2pm and one starts at 10 pm no problem with the later shifts but it might prove difficult to get into town for a 6am start on public transport.
    I do think they will just claim it back as an expense though!!

CLAMP AWAY LADS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bee, will you stop trolling please? Did you sign up especially for it.
    Originally posted by Bee
    Except that the majority of car using commuters need to use their car to get into town as public transport is crap and in many cases dangerous for girls!
    What a huge load of sticking poo. When was the last time you heard of a woman being assaulted on public transport? Especially if she’s a Garda?

In addition public transport invariably beats the private car on speed into the city and always on cost (especially when you factor in parking). There are some people who need their own cars during the day, Gardaí aren't among them.
    Originally posted by Bee
    What park and ride?
    Quite a few church car parks operate on such a basis, e.g. Merrion Road (Sydney Parade DART and various busses) or DART stations have their own car parks, e.g. Malahide, Portmarnock, Blackrock, Booterstown, Dalkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

No Garda should not be exempt.

However if needed special proviso should be given for spaces for Garda cars since (a) Garda are civil service and (b) most of the Garda will at some point end up doing dangerous work, most of which is above board and largely in the State's best interests[1]

[1]With the necessary caveats for laws you don't agree with and crooked coppers.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Typedef
    No Garda should not be exempt.

Double negative....so you mean that every garda should be exempt.....

And exempt from what? From having to obey the law, or for being allowed to break it?

jc

Originally posted by Victor
    Bee, will you stop trolling please? Did you sign up especially for it. What a huge load of sticking poo. When was the last time you heard of a woman being assaulted on public transport? Especially if she’s a Garda?
    Merrion Road (Sydney Parade DART and various busses) or DART stations have their own car parks, e.g. Malahide, Portmarnock, Blackrock, Booterstown, Dalkey.

Victor,

<moderated> and let us express an opinion.

Working in a very large organisation I know of numerous assaults, physical and verbal that has happened to colleagues over the last few years.

We all don't live on the Dart line, many now commute long distances into town. Stop being so <moderated>.

Many of these carparks overflow onto residential areas creating major problems for residents as they are too small to cater for commuters

Luv

Bee:D

Bee - you're evidently new here. Please read the guidelines for this forum - attacking the poster is not acceptable here.

jc

Bee - you're evidently new here. Please read the guidelines for this forum - attacking the poster is not acceptable here

Apologies, I had a hissy fit at the robust debating skills of victor who appears not to like a different opinion to his/her own.
    <moderated> in victors post upset me. :o

Visiting the IFSC today I parked on Amien's St. On leaving I turned right onto Talbot St and then a second right that brings you past the side entrance to Store St Garda station car park.

The road was blocked by a lorry due to a private car being illegally parked at the exit of the road onto Store St making it impossible for the lorry to proceed due to the need to cross the road space (narrowed by Luas works) where the person of limited intelligence parked his car. After some verbal exchanges betwixt a taxi driver and the lorry driver they eventually located a boy in blue to move his car. At this stage the road was full back to Talbot St.

I wonder what would have happened to a law abiding citizen if they were as callous in their parking!

Bee

I guess they would have been rightly arrested for dangerous parking !!

Originally posted by Victor
    Pearse Street has about 40 spaces (rear to kerb) out front and space for bikes and a paddy wagon at the back and doesn't the Bridewell have a yard and parkign on Church Street (and a Luas stop!)?

If they really need more space then the An Post building behind Pearse Street (Townsend St) is for sale - it has plenty of parking. Or buy the car dealer's yard behind the Bridewell.

I am not sure if all these spaces are exclusively for the station vehicles I think some are belonging to the buildings next door
    Pearse needs parking not only for the official cars attached to the station but for the various other divisonal units that work out of it such as the crime task force, drugs units, detectice units etc etc so more parking is needed than you would first imagine and there needs to be some element of security also although security in Garda Stations is quite laughable, the An Post building is a good idea but I will be surprised if it has dawned on any one within mangement,
    any one who has ever attented court in the bridewell will see how tiny the station/court parking space is, it can barely accomodate the prison vans which come from from the different prisons and these definately need to be in a secure area.

I do agree that parking is a problem around these area's and I do believe that the cars will be clamped by the Clampers and rightly so parking in this city is a luxury and more importantly it is a revenue stream for the city council , we used to get the spots for free , now we have to pay for the same privilege with no improvement in service provided , surely that is wrong ?

One thing I will say is how does one propose to get into work for 6am say 5.45am to allow time to change etc via public tranport,
    here I would have some sympathy for the boys in blue after all it is a second world country we are living in !!

Advertisement