Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm m100 and rechargeable batteries

• 04-09-2003 12:09pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was looking for rechargeable batteries for a Palm m100. Seems the only AAA rechargeables available are 1.2v, but the Palm takes 1.5v.

Has anyone tried 1.2v batteries in a Palm? Will it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

They work alright.

(I own an old Palm IIIx, also AAA-powered, and they work fine in that when I bother).

Bear in mind that rechargeable batteries will run down much faster than alkaline batteries.

A useful trick that you may not know is that you can recalibrate the battery meter to suit the type of battery you're using.

Go into Memo Pad, open a new memo, and then type the following:

{shortcut character}.7

where {shortcut character} looks like (please excuse crappy ASCII art :D):
      _
     /  \
     |   |
     \  /
      /\
     /  \

(In other words, a vertical loop starting from the bottom left and ending on the bottom right)

The command will be replaced by a lump of text, in brackets, such as:

[Alkaline]
    [NiCad]
    [NiMH]
    [Rechargeable Alkaline]

Whatever one of these message is printed (older versions of PalmOS don't support all of these, but NiCad is available under PalmOS 3.1/3.3, and all are available on PalmOS 4.1 as it is on my box. As far as I know, your machine has PalmOS 3.5 but that cannot be upgraded.

Keep entering the code until your desired battery type (or nearest match) is printed. The battery meter will be recalibrated accordingly.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

Advertisement