Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up costs for the USA?

Options
  • 04-09-2003 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of moving to the USA for maybe 2-6 months, length as of yet undecided.

My rough plan would be to rent a place to live for the period, initially go over as a holiday and maybe look to getting a job and staying longer.

Any one have any rough idea's how much i would be looking at to safely cover the total living cost, or ideas on where to stay/rent?

Just a rough plan for now, but if anyone would chime in who's done such a thing, could you give me any advice?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

A lot depends on where in the US you are going, its a big place ya know. You could live in a shack in the backwoods of Alabama fairly cheaply but I doubt you want that. Give some more info and I will try and respond.
    If you are going for a short stay during on off peak time then you might be able to do a long term rent at a good rate at a small motel. If you want an apartment then a small one bedroom could range from $400 to $4000 a month depending on location.
    Everything is pretty much cheaper than Ireland, food, utilities, transport, entertainment etc but rent will vary a lot.

Hope that helps a little.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

tell me where you are planning to move and i will tell you exactley what you need, also, tell me what your line of work is and i will find out how lucky you may be in finding a job....will you have a working visa? give me some more info. and i will do my best to help you out.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Thanks Beat,

Sorry for the late reply. I am undecided, but the west coast probably. I have no visa and ive heard they really dont like giving them out. I had wanted to go work there for 6 months to a year. I'm in IT (so zero chance of a job), but would have done anything really.

Chances look very, very slim :(

Ok, I just put a sticky up on greencard info...go there it may help. In my other thread helpful links, there are a few sites that may halp you out as well...I am going to gather some info for you and get back to you by the end of the week.
    I will make california your place of interest since you say the west coast. and by the way....the west coast is very difficult to get by in as an illegal alien unless you have family there or a very close friend ;) Boston is friendly to Irish coming over, as is CHicago or Philidelphia...all east coast. But I will see what I can do :)

I havnt had much time but here is a helpful hint, which ever state you decide on use your search engine and type in : living in (state)
    and you will come up with something like this, California for ex.

http://www.califbel.com/html/Living%20in%20California.htm

You can find out things like what min.wage is alsi by using search engine and what jobs are out there,, but that site listed above has a lot of useful information!

If you have any specific questions let me know, your area is too broad to research without charging a fee ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement