Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email on T610

• 04-09-2003 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've set up GPRS on my T610. I used the configurator on the sony ericsson site to set it up. Its working fine for browsing (I can connect to google etc.), but I cannot get email working.

In my email settings, I have the following:

Connect Using: E-Merge GPRS WAP
    Protocol: POP3
    Incoming Server: mail.myserver.net
    Incoming Port: 110
    Mailbox: dave@myserver.net
    Password: (my password)
    Outgoing Server: mail.myserver.net
    Outgoing Port: 25

Bear in mind that E-merge GPRS WAP is fine for browsing.

When I try and connect to email, it says "Finding Server", then "Connecting" (briefly), then "Finding Server" again. It sits there for about 90 seconds, and comes up with the message "Server Not Found".

Any thoughts as to what I should do? The mailserver is up and running, so thats not the problem.

- Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - to use the email client on the phone

you'd need to use their GPRS ISP access point, available to you if you are a post pay (billed) customer, currently not available to pre pay RTG customers

you could also try settign up HSCSD, max 28.8 kbps on SE phones, (supposed to be only for post pay (billed) customers), or a regular dial-up ISP like eircom.net...

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks for that, Brian.

The phone is postpaid, so everything should work. I tried the Vodafone MISP. It calls 0876202222, authenticates (presumably to the MISP, not my email), then says "Cannot Find Server".

I've tried it with my 3 email accounts - my vodafone.ie address, my personal address on my own domain, and my eircom.net address. Same result on each - "Cannot Find Server".

- Dave.

try sticking in: 213.233.128.19 or 213.233.128.1 as the DNS for the internet connection you've set-up

i remember when the T68i first came out i'd to use the IP address of the mail servers to get mail working (something to do with it not automatically filling the DNS server details on connection)

maybe one of those will sort you out

BrianG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Same problem here .

I've tried every combination of settings .. keep getting "Cannot Find Server".

No good, Brian.

Any other suggestions? :)

Has anyone out there got it working? (email on T610 with Vodafone?)

- Dave.

• Advertisement

if it's not even working using the mail server's IP address then are you sure the connection has been set up ok?

fidelis posted voda settings in a sticky at the top of this forum

for HSCSD you can now use vodafone as the username and password (also, the max you get is 28800 with a sony ericsson - which you have to set in the speed connection settings)

for GPRS you may need to be set-up by Vodafone for assess to isp.vodafone.ie first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I got email working on my friends postpay t610 using GPRS, I got the info for the settings from a thread on this site that has all the vodafone dns settings etc.

Specifically, I remember I had to set the username as NAME@vodafone.ie before it would work, and you have to set Connect Using to the ISP account not the WAP account.

Next time I see my friend I'll have a quick sconce at the settings and post them.

He also rang up vodafone and asked them to enable email, GPRS and MMS, so your email data account may not be enabled.

here's a thread that got the T68i woring with e-mail on Vodafone (the T610 won't be that much different)...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87716

hth,
    BrianG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

AGGGHHHHHHH Still cant get it to work .. Tried everything ...

Think I'll go back to the 7250..

Progress... progress...

Thanks to that link, Brian, I got Vodafone email working. I still cannot connect to my own server, though. I'll keep messing about with it.

Sharky - set up a voda email account (if you don't have one) and play about until you get it working. I used all the settings on Brian's T68i link above, and I got it working.

I changed my "E-merge GPRS WAP" data account.

Username from "dublin" to "vodafone"
    Password from "dublin" to "vodafone"
    APN to isp.vodafone.ie
    IP address is blank (....)
    DNS is 213.233.128.19

On the email account:

Connect using "E-merge GPRS WAP"
    Protocol: POP3
    Incoming Server: pop.vodafone.ie
    Mailbox: myaddress@vodafone.ie
    Password: My "my vodafone" password (should be a 4 digit number)
    Outgoing Server: mail.vodafone.ie

Everything else, set as you need.

Now to get my "real" email account working! :)

- Dave.

• Advertisement

Scratch that.... I got my real email account working now :)

Thanks a million, Brian. Great to have a mod who knows his shit! :);)

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The username and password of dublin and dublin is throwing me off there.

It shouldn't work but seeeing that it does, leave it like that i supppse.

I changed it from "dublin" to "vodafone", so that may have been part of the original problem.

- Dave.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    It shouldn't work but seeeing that it does, leave it like that i supppse.

he overwrote the existing WAP configs with the GPRS ISP details - keeping the old WAP connection title (just a text label)

Originally posted by TmB
    Scratch that.... I got my real email account working now :)

glad to hear it :)

you could add a new Voda GPRS ISP data account for use with the e-mail client (with the details you changed the WAP settings to)

that would allow you to revert the "E-merge" GPRS WAP accout to use with the WAP browser on the handset - if you wanted to use that...

alternativey ReqWireless added the T610/T616 as a supported device for their Java based HTML Browser WebViewer, haven't tried it on a T610 but worked a treat on the 7650 and P800

great for use with mobile friendly versions of web sites (using the ISP/Internet GPRS service - not WAP), there are a wide range to choose from at the www.pdaportal.us and www.mazingo.net/mobile

hth,
    BrianG

That ReqWireless browser looks great. :) Must try out the demo.

Would HSCSD (with the HSCSD mobile number as my Friend-For-Free number!) work out cheaper than GPRS?

Whats the best setup for regular web usage?

- Dave.

you aren't (supposed to be) able to use the "friend for free" for the Voda Mobile ISP unfortunately :(

HSCSD vs GPRS - depends very much what you are doing

this thread might help

also note, Voda have that 10KB min charge per GPRS connection, which can add up when auto polling for email at regular intervals (if the phone disconnects after checking)

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

also note, Voda have that 10KB min charge per GPRS connection, which can add up when auto polling for email at regular intervals (if the phone disconnects after checking)

right pain in the backside that!

he overwrote the existing WAP configs with the GPRS ISP details - keeping the old WAP connection title (just a text label)

I was wondering.

Advertisement