Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT ADSL - It's not just Irish Telco's that are crap

Options
  • 04-09-2003 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

BBC ADSL article

No that anyone here has ever experienced such frustration with with a Telco.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

That's bad, but unfortunately Eircom are worse in my experience. I have been out of phone service for 5 weeks in the past 4 years, and it always took Eircom a week to repair. They were extremely unfriendly as well, and thratened to BILL me for repairing the phone line several times, even though it was their fault. Promised line rental compensation never arrived (they claimed I wasn't entitled, I now know I was), and so on.

And in Ireland, if something like that happens, it usually isn't even newsworthy because it's so commonplace. BT in the UK may not be perfect (in fact they are very far from perfect, and I'm sure they'd deal with customers the same way if the UK regulator didn't do a better job), but they simply can't compete with Eircom on that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

It took eircom 2 months to disconnect my isdn line and then they even kept charging me for it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

The tech support people in BT sound fairly friendly in that article (even though they dont seem to be particularly intelligent)..... Eircom's army of biddies/rats/biddie-rat crossbreeds are just plain hostile most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

BT aren't all that bad in the UK.
    Cornwall ActnowIf only we could mobilise ourselves like the people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

BT support personell may not be very intelligent, but Eircom rat-slaves are stupid, incompetent, VERY hostile and prone to "coincidentally" changing the subject once you probe the fact that Eircom are scamming everyone.

Morons! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've always found the simpliest way to test a tech support number,
    Phone up and say your interested in getting DSL but your new to this type of thing and your friend gave you a few questions to ask them,

Just ask do you support pings

nothing complicated and they should know, I'm happy to say the rat failed this test and Esat passed it :)

But in saying that I know people that would fail this test and do work in tech support, sigh....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom could point out quite happily that most of it's customers can't possibly have any problems with ADSL for the foreseeable future...

Only 20% of BT users are sure of not having BB problems and it set to drop to 10% fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have to admit ive been using BT broad band for about 2 years now and i have never once had a problem with losing connections, or anything else.
    at 27 quid a month, i think the service is pretty bloody cool, compared to when i lived in ireland and paid about 60 quid a month for a modem connection.
    which was shít anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Cabaal
    I
    Just ask do you support pings

Do you support pings? What sort of a question is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by eth0_
    It's like "Do you support biscuits?" only different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by eth0_

Its a very stupid question, thats what it is!

Basically you act like a newbie and ask that, if they don't know what a ping is there stupid as ****, if they do know what a ping is....atleast there's some hope.

anyway never mind, its fun to ask it sometimes... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

If I was on the far end of that question I'd be tempted to answer "Of course! Who wouldn't love an adventurous and faithful duck like that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I've always found the simpliest way to test a tech support number...
    Yes that’s a great method of testing a tech support line, ring it once and ask a ridiculous question which has no relevance to anything, then judge the quality of the tech support line on the basis of the reply to the moronic question from that one technician you have spoken to. From now on tech support lines throughout the country will be judged on this basis...

Advertisement