Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How happy are you with your Broadband ISP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I am thrilled with the service, now it's connected. I had insuperable problems with the modem they supplied, or more likely with the software that was to drive it, but I got a D-Link router and I've been on all week. No problems at all, and they've the best customer service I've ever experienced. They even put up with my whining when it didn't work immediately. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Anyone have experience with eircoms uncapped 1mb service. I'm thinking of moving from netsource to it

Have to admit it, that package is the really reliable. We have it installed in a site in Dublin, Its only gone down once in 13 months !!! for 30mins

On the other hand my Netsouce connection has been down 3 times tonight alone. I'm glad I cancelled my account today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Anyone have experience with eircoms uncapped 1mb service. I'm thinking of moving from netsource to it

I cancelled my Netsource line a week ago and got the 1MBit uncapped from Eircom.
    I do like the service, but the pings are high (due to interleaving turned on high).

Anyways, it is possible to play on it, I get about 65 ping to Jolt playing UT2003. The problem is only that to any other server I get 95 - 100 ping.

I will keep this eircom line until I find something better (which really means a 1Mbit line uncapped with lower pings).
    If only IBB could get that Ballycoolin mast up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

ISP = Esat Business 512/256
    Ping = 20 or under to UK; 40 to Germany, nl etc ; 45 to scandinavia/spain.

Download speed = 512K (64kB/s steady)
    Upload speed = 256K (32kB/s steady)
    Customers services = Not had any need to ring. Pre-install service was very good
    Reliability =Excellent. Had no problems since i got it a month ago. They prompty fixed the capacity problems.
    Price per month = €108.90 incl VAT

Took them 1 month to install after i ordered.
    They had some capacity problems which meant bad pings during business hours but they've gotten more bandwidth to the Uk and thats sorted. Only 33% of the upgrades complete but if it stays like this i can't complain at all :D

Fairly expensive but the fact i ping as good or better than UK ADSL people to UK servers makes it worthwhile for me.

Verdict: Can't complain about anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Hrmm

Isp = esat bt business .

512/256

download = 64k constant
    upload = 32k constant

pings to boards = 10/13 ms a sec
    ping to jolt = 15/25 ms a sec
    pings to france . germany etc etc around the 40/50 mark

Pretty expnsive but well worth it . No cap and all . never ben down never needed to call customer care . hell they even called me one day to see how my service was going .

all in all im very very very very happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

HOME

ISP = Netsource SOHO
    Price = €66 a month inc vat
    Ping = No need for PINGS.
    Download = 50-55k consistent,
    Upload = Never Really Measured it
    Customer service = No contact to date
    Reliability = Grand. I am extremely happy with their service. Downloaded about a gig so far and things are cool.

WORK

ISP = Eircom Uncapped 1mb DSL
    Price = Don't know cos I don't pay for it, hehe
    Ping = Don't really care.
    Download = ~90-110k,
    Upload = Reliable and very fast..
    Customer service = Never had to deal with them
    Reliability = Rock-solid.

Both are in Dublin. Love being able to control the home computer while I am at work. Means I can do home and work stuff at the same time....yeah baby......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Can sum1 plz tell me the ping rates in games, for iol and eircom and other low priced broadband services (E50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Originally posted by unkel
    did anybody notice that the only service with NO unhappy customers is NTL :)

Well its only in certain parts of dublin so not many ppl can use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ISP = BB Bt - (North)
    Price = ok (modem - 40 english pounds and first month free)
    Ping = 7 - 20
    Game Ping = Around 20 - 30
    Download = 50-60k
    Upload speed = never checked
    Customers services = good
    Reliability = very good
    Price per month = 27.99 english pounds (40 EURO?)

only allowed to have 180 hours per month online

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

ISP = Netsource SOHO
    Price = €66 a month inc vat
    Ping = 50-300 (i.e. 50 at any time you are at work, 200-300 when you are actually online - not good for an Enemy Territory junkie)
    Download = 50-55k - the best thing about Netsource and there 'aint much is that download speeds are always good and steady.
    Upload = Never Really Measured it
    Customer service = Adept in explaining why you are wrong.
    Reliability = Best strategy so far for me is to leave outlook express on checking for mail every 2 minutes so the connection doesn't die)

Cancelled today. They are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

ISP = Esat Business
    Price = way too expensive (yes accounts dept is a joke)
    Ping = 15-20
    Download speed = 512Kb (64KB solid)
    Upload speed = 256Kb
    Customers services = havent had to test
    Reliability = great
    Price per month = 90+vat = €108 approx.

I have to say that it is an excellent service, but it is far too expensive. I'm trying to get someone in to go halves, the only way I could afford it in the first place was to move to cheaper accommodation.

It's prices like that which encourage piracy, people say feck sake there's only one way I can get €108 a month value out of this internet connection and surfing and gaming alone aint going to cut it, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ISP = Netsource SOHO
    Price = €54.45 pm inc vat
    Ping = 200 ish
    Download = 14k/b from one source. 40k/b if I download from lots of sources. I'm not even capped.
    Upload = 14k/b
    Customer service = Nice people. Shíte service.
    Reliability = Woeful

I've also cancelled today. I'm going with Esat RADSL because Esat Business isn't available :( I would go with Eircom (superior pings, but their cap is just ridiculous)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

ISP = Irish Broadband Home Breeze Plus
    Price = €50 pm inc vat
    Ping = 30-50 ish
    Download = stable at 60kb's now, but generally i'd get no less than about 35kb's
    Upload = Maxing at about 20kb's, far less than the 512 advertised
    Customer service = Great tech support, always helpful.
    Reliability = Quite good, no downtime worth mentioning

EDIT, the virtical lines in DUmeter represent 1 minute intervals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

ISP = I-Stream
    Price = too high
    Ping = 20 - 30
    Download speed = 512K
    Customers services = Ok (expensive)
    Reliability = Good
    Price per month = €54

The eircom service itself is perfect, the only things i object too are the high price and the 4 gig cap. If they dropped the price €10 and raised the cap to at least 10 gigs, I would be content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

ISP = NTL
    Price = €40/mo
    Pings = 15 :eek: to 70
    D/L speed = 600
    U/L speed 128
    Customer service = So far so good
    Reliability = Better than a Volkswagen so far

Woot!
    Just got it installed today, after a few days of trying to tell the biddy that I COULD get it, even though her computer said I couldn't. CS was only used for details to set up e-mail. Just playing around with it so far, trying to resist the urge to d/l everything at once. Gaming is almost lan-like. Kazaa and BT are both happy with it.

Had been using a shared DublinWAN link which was always either great or atrocious, never in between. Reliability eventually tempted me to NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

ISP = NTL
    Price = €40/mo
    Pings = Not really interested!
    D/L speed = 600
    U/L speed 128
    Customer service = Excellent (only needed once to set up email address)
    Reliability = 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

have iolbb

rang customer service asked when to expect recieving moden, they said 17 days.. ok fair enough that would be tomorrow (fri). got package yesterday wich isn't a bad start if you ask me!
    every thing work fine, well except 1 or 2 thing wich i guess are just this i have to tweak.

i think my max d/l sofar was round 50
    from microsoft's web site it varied between 15-30 and it did stay round the 40 mark for quite abit to

surfing wise, this is so much beter that my old phone conection

so pretty happy with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

ISP = Eircom I-Stream Starter
    Initial Price = Free (Spl offer to 31/12/03)
    Ping = Not required.
    Download speed = 512K.
    Customer Care: OK at Supervisor/Manager level only.
    Tech Support: 1550 (74c/min) good but too dear.
    Reliability = 100% rock solid so far.
    Price per month = 1 month free then €54
    CAP: 4Gb (unenforced, said to be 8Gb+ in reality).
    Best modem (Netopia 3341), simple network setup.

Eircom Engineering/Technical excellent. Escalate any initial Sales/Service problems to Supervisor / Manager level immediately, otherwise head wrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Have had this for a good while now, just to lazy to post, anyways.

IOL BB Radsl
    Download : 512k
    Upload : 128k
    Download Rate : 52 K/b
    Upload Rate : 11 K/b

Ping : 20-30
    CAP : 8 GB Down

Customer Service : AHH FU*K, YOU STUPID FU*K AHAHHHA!!!
    Ahem, excuse me.

Downtime: None, longest lenght connected 26Hours. Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

ISP : Chorus
    Down: bout 400kb/s with DAP
    Up : 128
    Cap : none :D

customer service: Very good. The service its self has only been down once. Replaced the ariel on my house and problem solved.

All in all excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

I think its a bit unfair having a poll like this stickied - where you cannot change your vote.

Things have changed a lot over the past few months since this first appeared - I'm guessing most providors have got better and wouldnt get such a bad score if you were to do a new poll.

Can we reset the Poll?

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

I have been using UTV Clicksilver since they launched the service and I find them brilliant, I normally use my link for gaming and I find their pings to quite good, normally I ping around 40-50 to jolt servers, but I have seen it as low as 20, which is pretty sweet & is approching LAN speeds, so you can't really complain!

ISP = UTV Clicksilver
    Price = €100
    Ping = 40-50
    Download speed = 512K
    Upload speed = 256K??? (not sure)
    Customers services = Excellent, got sorted in no time at all when I moved house, they had me connected up within a week!
    Reliability = I've only had one outage, so yup I would consider them very reliable
    Price per month = €47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I signed up in Novembre, got the modem last wednesday ( 14th january ) and when i come for the weekend to setup, they have not activated or even heard of my name for the broadband connection. So this means i have to wait for the sales department ( not the tech department ) to open up on monday and to set me up a new username/password. what can i say? USELESS PACK OF ****ERS comes to mind. So, Unhappy before i even use the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

ISP = IOLBB RADSL 512/128
    Price = €49.49p/m inc VAT @ 21pc
    Ping = 50ms
    Download = 50k solid
    Upload = 11k max, but download drops to almost nothing of course
    Customer service = Accounts dept took a working week to reply
    Reliability = user/pass rejected almost every day takes about 7 consecutive retrys
    seems to have a 30min idle timeout and 24h disconnect even if in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i second that motion! Bring on the poll editing abilities! I ahte my isp currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

ISP = IOLBB RADSL 512/128
    Price = €49.49p/m inc VAT @ 21pc plus argument with accounts to get first month free and modem free as initial bill steap.
    Ping = www.boards.ie 22ms
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
    Downstream 165 Kbps (20.6 KB/sec) 178 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 69 Kbps (8.6 KB/sec) 74 Kbps (inc. overheads
    Customer Service=Very hit and miss. Took two months from order till online with lots of hassle and excuses and telephone tag and still lack their free email and webspace etc
    Download = 50 kbps for single remote server at times
    Upload = 10 kbps reliably, 15 to 20 kbps sustained at times
    Reliability = user/pass rejected almost every day takes about 3 consecutive retrys
    Only disconnected by host 3 times in last 7 weeks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Impurity

ISP = NETSOURCE ADSL
    Ping = <30ms (MOSTLY)
    Download = 53k solid
    Upload = 11k max,
    Customer service = GOOD, THEY STILL HAVEN'T BILLED ME AND I HAVE IT 3 WEEKS ;-)
    Reliability = VERY GOOD, GOT KICKED OFF A FEW SERVERS PLAYING BF1942 BUT THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN THEIR DOING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I just got Eircom I-stream about 4 hours ago Im just messing about with it for today but everything seems to be ok.The connection is 10.0Mbps and I havent downloaded anything so far today except on Kazaa.The support staff were excellent today in helping me set it up.The contents of the I-stream starter pack are just Ethernet connecter,Usb Connecter ,power cable wiring and the Cayman modem itself.Its free for the first month and 54 squid a month Id say Im doing alright for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Dathai, I'd say you'll find the connection between your PC and the Modem is 10Mb/s but your connection speed is 512Kb/s or so.

The cap wouldn't last too long if fellas were connecting at 10Mb/s :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 madden

Hey , I'm pretty happy with the service I get. The picture speaks for itself

Ibb kicksass on the weekends :D (only time i get to use it)

C:\>ping www.boards.ie -n 100

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=56
    Reply from...............

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 94ms, Average = 16ms