Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey Island series

Options
  • 04-09-2003 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Can anyone remember if monkey islands 1 and 2 was ever released with voices? Im in a bit of a nostalgic mood lately so ive been replaying all those lucasarts adventure classics. And im sure ive played mi 1 and 2 with voices...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No they weren't, Monkey III and IV were the only ones.

Get Sam & Max: Hit the road, and Day of the Tentcale CD Versions, for some nostalgic, talkie action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Monkey Island was made with voices it was called Pirates of the Carribean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by Giblet
    Get Sam & Max: Hit the road, and Day of the Tentcale CD Versions, for some nostalgic, talkie action.

Full Throttle was pretty good too, though criminally short. I think that had voices, didn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i'll always remember the first time I walked into the bar of Monkey Island 1 and pissed my self laughing. 'Look I'm talking to the dog and look at that eejit hanging out of the ceiling' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    i'll always remember the first time I walked into the bar of Monkey Island 1 and pissed my self laughing. 'Look I'm talking to the dog and look at that eejit hanging out of the ceiling' :D

And theat pirate who says you have a stupid name(guybrush) and goes on to say his name is "Mancomb" :D

I noticed this box set in the game on grafton street today. The Dig, Sam and Max, Full Throttle and Grim fandango all for 20 euro (i think, around that price).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

€30, every branch of game ive been in in the past month seems to have piles of them. very tempted but i already have sam n max and full throttle. seeing as the dig is rarer than hens teeth these day i just might add it to the collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ask me about Loom(tm).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I love Loom, and still have my original copy for the Amiga. I completed it after about three weeks of non-stop play with absolutely no guides or help at all - one of my finest gaming moments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I noticed this box set in the game on grafton street today. The Dig, Sam and Max, Full Throttle and Grim fandango all for 20 euro (i think, around that price).

I know what I'll be buying during the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ClevererThanYou

Originally posted by Rnger

While Full Throttle is a little short, what a game. Each of those four games is a bona-fide masterpiece. If you don't have ANY ONE of those games, buy that collection now!

Full Throttle - Ben, a no-necked biker, gets embroiled in a conspiracy and beats people about the head with a plank of wood while tearing down the motorway. Not a particuarly 'funny' one, but then it's not meant to be.

The Dig - A massive asteroid is on a collision course with Earth. You lead a team of scientists to plant nukes on the asteroid to nudge it out of orbit. Steven Spielberg came up with the story and Orson Scott Card wrote the dialogue. One of the greatest intro sequences ever. And the T-1000 does the main voice!

Grim Fandango - An epic tale of crime and corruption in the Land of the Dead. You play a rather thin skeletal dude who's down on his luck. Terrific graphics and a rather moving ending.

Sam 'N' Max Hit The Road - Ultra-odd, ultra-funny tale about a dog and rabbit. Who happen to be Freelance Police. Typical dialogue:
    Beginning of the game when Sam took out a ticking time bomb...
    Sam: Where should I put this thing so that it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?
    Max: Out the window, Sam. There's nobody but strangers out there.
    Max throws the bomb out the window. The building is shook by a huge explosion.
    Sam: I hope there was nobody on that bus.
    Max: Nobody we know, at least.

In case you didn't know, I like these games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by ClevererThanYou

You play a rather thin skeletal dude who's down on his luck. Terrific graphics and a rather moving ending.

He also makes an apperance in SW Eps 1 in the pod racing audience...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

just a word of warning that getting many(i.e. not grim fandango) of these games running on newer systems can be an utter pain the the rectal cavity.

two essential programs to play these masterpeices are VDMSound and my favourite bit of open source software ScummVM. VDMSound allows full sound support in dos sessions in winnt based systems and ScummVM is an interpreter for almost all scumm based games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Blank

Soz for not posting back, connection problems :rolleyes:

Ah well monkey island still worth playing again.

Oh and i got that pack recently myself and good news for win xp users! They updated each game (except grim naturally) to run in windows. That means 100% compatibility with sam n max, the dig and full throttle.

But if u want to play the originals u just need to boot up in dos 5 or higher. I had to reteach myself how dos works again but ive made a pretty nifty boot disk that should play anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Last time I was in Game on Grafton Street I'm pretty sure they had broken up some of the box sets and were selling the games individually. Mostly there were copies of Grim Fandango but you might be able to pick up The Dig without getting the others.

Tell me about Loom(tm).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

... I'm selling these fine leather jackets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ahhhhh Monkey Island.
    I musta played each one about ten times, it doesn't matter if you know what to do next they're still bloody brilliant.
    I completely forgot about Grim Fandango, I got stuck somewhere in that and never finished it, i'll have to root it out to see the ending so.
    I got the double pack of DOTT and SamnMax a while ago, and it wouldn't run on my computer... could it be that the computer was to advanced for them?? I was well pissed off i'd love to play them again especially the dress up sam'n'max game that was class!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    just a word of warning that getting many(i.e. not grim fandango) of these games running on newer systems can be an utter pain the the rectal cavity.

two essential programs to play these masterpeices are VDMSound and my favourite bit of open source software ScummVM. VDMSound allows full sound support in dos sessions in winnt based systems and ScummVM is an interpreter for almost all scumm based games.

Does anyone know if the new box set is the same old DOS games or have they been updated to run in M$ Windows??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Good news for all ye nostalgic people here, and new's i'm surprised ye don't already know.

Lucasarts are making sequels to both Full Throttle and Sam and Max. Both games look the biz, and since Lucasarts are the masters of these kinda games, the chances that they'll f**k up the sequels so that only noobs like 'em and older fan's hate 'em should be pretty god danged tieny.

Anyway, just thought i'd post the news as i'm quite looking forward to them myself.

Loved Grim Fandango, Manny and Glottis are two of the best game characters ever. Especially Glottis. Same goes for the Monkey Island games even though I've only played 3 and 4. Murray the talking skull remain's one of the most memorable characters to this day. And who could forget Sam and Max hit the road, with it's frankly disturbing opening, which I to my shame have never finished. Must get around to it someday.

Anyways, I haven't checked Lucasarts official site for updates in a few weeks, but these games do look class, and should be out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Unfortunately, Lucasarts have canned Full Throttle 2. I was looking forward to it, but they obviously didn't like the way it was turning out...

- Dave.

Bugger, where's a turn up for the books.

Sorry, is Sam and Max 2 still going to be released? I'd hate to have been wrong on both counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by lamda
    I got the double pack of DOTT and SamnMax a while ago, and it wouldn't run on my computer... could it be that the computer was to advanced for them?? I was well pissed off i'd love to play them again especially the dress up sam'n'max game that was class!:D

I got that a while ago aswel. I had never gotten so far in DOTT and then i scratch the bloody disk(I figured out how to get the girl out of the tree in the futture :D. I had only ever played the start of sam and max.

I also played monkey island 1+2 again thanks to a particular file sharing progrtam that shall remain nameless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I heard there was going to be a weenie roast here

Monkey island 1 was the greatest game ever made, apart from maybe FFVII :)
    I wasnt TOO impressed with escape from monkey island, it was pretty cool, but the monkey kombat section successfully ruined the game for me :(

Yea, monkey kombat put me off to. It stopped being a puzzle game at that point. Was a good game as well up to that point. But having to take down all that s**t did me head in, and in the end I just couldn't be a***d.

P.S. The Final Fantasy Series rocks. Can't wait for FFX2.

Advertisement