Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum [Horse Racing]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd be for this forum too.

Wrt tips I don't see a problem for a few reasons. If someone is not a regular poster and shows themselves to be somewhat reliable/knowledgable none of the regulars would trust them much, if at all.

If 'scammers' appear I'm sure there'll be enough knowledgable people here who would point out this scam.

As for those who are against it for encouraging gambling as Devore said there are people promoting religions here (Not to mention drink, cigs and drugs), all of which certain people dissapprove of.

Plus such a forum would bring up interesting topics to discuss aside from any gambling threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Can I just say that I was reading the Leopardstown Race Card. I went for all the races and picked who would win or get a place.

5 races E/W and 3 Win

And well I had 6 out of 8 that I would have won on if I put money on it. With horse racing you can look at previous performance so therefore you can see how they will do.

Oh and if one of them horses I thought I would have guessed EW thatn it would have been 7 out of 8 races. Just one race where I got no horse in the top 3 or 4. In smaller races its just 1st 2nd and 3rd that count when you bet EW.

All up for this Forum though.

PS not mainly for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'm a big horse racing fan. Its not all about tips, gambles, its about the love of racing. If you can back your judgement to make some money even better. I dont think this should stop a forum beign set up on it.

Everyone must act responsibly. You cannot bet in a bookies unless you are over 18, and you need a credit card/laser card to bet online. The assumption should be made that all people reading teh forum can judge for themselves on what they want to gamble and to what level. I would be surprised if someone put up a tip here and everyone on the forum decided to put their mortgage on. Id they did they are so stupid that tehy would have lost their money some way.

What teh board should discuss is horse racing in general. Tips are a part of this, but the tips should not be taken as gospel by readers who think it is an easy way to make money. Tips lose more times than they win, but they are useful as extra bits of information. After a while, it will be easy to separare good infomration from bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Morgans
    I'm a big horse racing fan. Its not all about tips, gambles, its about the love of racing. If you can back your judgement to make some money even better. I dont think this should stop a forum beign set up on it.

Everyone must act responsibly. You cannot bet in a bookies unless you are over 18, and you need a credit card/laser card to bet online. The assumption should be made that all people reading teh forum can judge for themselves on what they want to gamble and to what level. I would be surprised if someone put up a tip here and everyone on the forum decided to put their mortgage on. Id they did they are so stupid that tehy would have lost their money some way.

What teh board should discuss is horse racing in general. Tips are a part of this, but the tips should not be taken as gospel by readers who think it is an easy way to make money. Tips lose more times than they win, but they are useful as extra bits of information. After a while, it will be easy to separare good infomration from bad.
    What he said!!

Originally posted by Hobart
    What he said!!

I second that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Is this getting a board or not.. I'm intrigued

Originally posted by Repli
    Is this getting a board or not.. I'm intrigued

Hmmm only time will tell unless Devore says we can have it right now.(hint, hint)

RunFree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Runfree
    Hmmm only time will tell unless Devore says we can have it right now.(hint, hint)

RunFree

I'd say it's only matter of time before the honourable, great and good Davore makes the decision we all would wish for?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm still mulling this one over. You make some decent points though, so I'm inclined to try it out. I'm going to Phone A Friend and run it past the other Admins. I cant think of any decent reason not to but it has a whiff about it... a certain Cologne De Muppé.... if you get me...

Gotta love dubaim though... not a wet day in the place and he's snapping his fingers ... he'll learn... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dubaim

DeVore

Maybe I've been on assertiveness training for message board users course........................if you don't ask, you don't get..................what's the point of sitting on the fence anyway?

• Advertisement

If we don't get a Horse Racing forum I'm going to go into a great big sulk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by dubaim
    get..................what's the point of sitting on the fence anyway?
    You have somewehere to sit.

You also have two views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 O2Suck

yeah great idea....horse racing forum please

Originally posted by PH01
    If we don't get a Horse Racing forum I'm going to go into a great big sulk ;)

Me too!!

By the way Dev. Would you like to do a 50/50 on that?

A) Yes(we get the forum)
    B) No (we all sulk)

50/50 reveals answer A!

:p

It was a great days racing at Listowel yesterday. Would be great to have a forum in which to talk about it?

:) IT WOULD ;);)

Devore, not trying to tell you your job or nothing but all forums can attract muppets, its how well they are ignored thats the solution. MUppets can post what they like but if they are ignored, no harm is being caused. They will leave.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, sorry, I've been kinda ignoring this because I wanted a chance to think about it. Of course, having had that chance I did other stuff and still havent thought about it.

I know this much. I dont want tips on this board as it will just get ugly and I'm not wild about the idea anyway.

I *do* inherently like to support what people want to chat about so ... witht that in mind, can we look to work on a charter here before I create the forum? Just so its clear what the forum is for?

So in summary... yes I will create this forum, theres clearly support for it. I'd like to break from tradition though and make the very first thing we do in it, to sort out a charter even before we have a mod or two.

I'll create it today and it will be in the nav tomorrow.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    I know this much. I dont want tips on this board as it will just get ugly and I'm not wild about the idea anyway.

Everybody who talks about horse racing always end up talking about tips. And it will be hard to avoid. So if you don't want tips in the forum then don't create a 'Horse Racing' forum, as the Mods will have a full time job closing down all those posts that have 'tips' in them.

On the other hand, if you state in the charter that 'tips' should be given or come with a 'Health Warning' (along with gambling), and to anyone posting tips they must provide 'research data' and 'references' to back up tips, a horse racing forum would be more workable.

have to say i agree.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the Forum Dev.

I truly love you.

5-1 I'll get banned

Originally posted by PH01
    Everybody who talks about horse racing always end up talking about tips. And it will be hard to avoid. So if you don't want tips in the forum then don't create a 'Horse Racing' forum, as the Mods will have a full time job closing down all those posts that have 'tips' in them.

On the other hand, if you state in the charter that 'tips' should be given or come with a 'Health Warning' (along with gambling), and to anyone posting tips they must provide 'research data' and 'references' to back up tips, a horse racing forum would be more workable.
    Have to agree Dev. Would be very hard to differentiate between a Tip and good advice.

E.G Tip = "Monty's Pass running in such and such at 5-1. Worth an each way."

E.G. Advice =" I backed Montys Pass in Naas last month at 5-1 and he came in 2nd for me. I see he's running in Thurles tonight. I'm going to have a flutter and see how I get on"

How does one "legislate for that?". My advice don't create the Forum with this rule in the charter.

Originally posted by Hobart
    Have to agree Dev. Would be very hard to differentiate between a Tip and good advice.

E.G Tip = "Monty's Pass running in such and such at 5-1. Worth an each way."

E.G. Advice =" I backed Montys Pass in Naas last month at 5-1 and he came in 2nd for me. I see he's running in Thurles tonight. I'm going to have a flutter and see how I get on"

How does one "legislate for that?". My advice don't create the Forum with this rule in the charter.

Good examples, Hobart.
    Your first example would be the kind of tip you want to avoid, while the other is more acceptable.
    It also reflects the posters own individual preferences.

Also, these 'tipsters' will be found out over time as their tipping record will speak for themselves.

PS: two more to go to my 700th post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Hmmm .................... I ran a Yahoo Groups Horseracing BB (horseracingsystems) a coupla years ago and had to eventually close it down because of "tips" and tipsters. It became a boring litany of lists of "fancied" horses and a magnet for "professionals" spamming the Board by pimping their "advices/services"

Tips are a drag and a waste of time ..................... nothing is more guaranteed to put me off a racing discussion than a monitor screen full of tips and fancies from individuals with clearly little knowledge or experience of the game. If I want tips I turn to my Racing Post.

This proposed forum could make a great impact -- if it could be developed over time into a broader and more generalised debate on issues pertinent to horse racing. Methodologies, staking plans, sytems, etc. There are lots of exciting developments happening out there right now .................. spread betting, futures/derivatives betting, the rise of online betting, the new betting exchanges etc. Analysis and debate of horse racing issues should be about more than posting tips.

Then again .................. if your father is the trainer of a runner in next Saturday's Ayr Gold Cup, if your brother is riding it, and if you have already backed it ante-post 1,000 euro at 25/1, then do by all means feel free to post it!

Aye, I tend to agree with the last few posters. Perhaps a "Tips/Advice here!" sticky thread might act as honeypot for such tips.

DeV.

Ok post this Now Dev.

Can you make it a sticky??? I aint a mod there nor am I admin so can't do that....Can I?

Originally posted by Runfree
    Ok post this Now Dev.

Can you make it a sticky??? I aint a mod there nor am I admin so can't do that....Can I?
    Pick me Pick me. For the love of god would you just give it a rest for a few minutes.:rolleyes:

Hi Dev,

Have that posted for you if you could make it a sticky.

Cheers,

RunFree

Advertisement