Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Analogue Aerials

• 04-09-2003 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

I read i another thread i can purchase a chorus aerial in kerry. Could someone Please tell me where i can purchase one and an estimate of the price please

Thanks

The DigiKing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.vbnets.com/products/hardware.php?cat=antenna

You buy these for Wireless LAN.

You can't use them to receive any scrambled Chorus signal.

Without an LNB (Downconvertor) they won't get Chorus at all.

What do you want it for?

*The ones that look the same as Chorus Aerials AFAIK *are* sold to Chorus!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Wireless access point

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna.htm

Are good too.

I got a colinear from them (High gain omnidirectional vertical aerial).

It is good for several clients in different directions with their own dishes to connect at up to 8km.

Put N-Connector on an Airpoint box in a waterproof plastic box up the mast.

Any aerial cable needs to be at least RG213 and no more than a few feet.

LN400 for up to 10 feet

Heliax for maybe 15 ... 20 feet

Loss in coax at 2.4GHz is enormous. The "decent" low loss cable is almost like plumbing at these frequencies.

With a "video sender" 15ft of LN400 gave NO picture. A direct connection to the "MMDS" dish cable tail gave an acceptable picture (i.e. better than typical Chorus, but Chorus is AM and videosenders are FM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

There are companies in the states who will sell you MMDS recieve aerials.

If your local transmitter is using encryption however they are probably of little use

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    There are companies in the states who will sell you MMDS recieve aerials.

If your local transmitter is using encryption however they are probably of little use

No need to go to USA. The aerials are cheaper here, esp carriage.

The Downconvertor/LNB is available cheaper this side of atlantic too. But as you point out a waste of money as quality is poor and the channels may be encrypted or scrambled at any time even if clear.

Also Analog MMDS could be turned off in Weeks or Months. Unlike Analog ordinary TV, to convert every Chorus MMDS subscriber to Digital only is easy. When most already Digital and if Chorus need more Digital channels they will easily get Comreg permission to turn off analog, boosting Digital from 60+ channels to 120+ channels.

While MMDS Digital has some problems, it is nearly as good as Sky when it works. Conversly only bad Analog Cable areas are worse than Chorus Analog MMDS, which is not as good as an old VHS......

• Advertisement
Advertisement