Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake source code help

Options
  • 04-09-2003 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am a complete noob to programing or game editing but just recently downloaded the Quake source code. My plan is to maybe make a few single player levels as a way to try and make my programming bones. There is just one problem I dont know where to begin what programmes to download etc. I was wondering if anyone could help ie guide me threw the process or maybe point me in the direction of a manual or some sort of walk thru to using this code:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Its a pretty vague question you are asking...

Like if you want to make levels, its got nothing to do with the source code, and you should look up level design software that allows you create quake levels (worldcraft maybe? Im not sure). After that check out the modding/game editing board here on boards.ie, that will give you some idea how to mess around with mods and other stuff.

Basically, unless you want to start by rewriting quake from the ground up, the source code is only really useful to see how a few bits and pieces were done, or to marvel at the mad coding skills of the John Carmack.

Everything you sound like you want to do is is completely extraneous to the source code basically.

Dave

edit: Well it seems like the modding board sent you here. However, typing the words "mod" "quake" and "tutorial" somehow brought up the following
    http://www.planetquake.com/minion/tutorial%5Ctutor7.htm

and "map" "quake" and "tutorial" came up with

http://www.planetquake.com/worldcraft/tutorial/index.html

Sometimes I truly amaze myself. Most of the time google searches do the job though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattg

Hey,

If you are wanting to learn, write and read code(programming) of the quake engine, I suggest you visit www.gamedev.net, Ask a few questions on the boards ect and read over some of the excellent tutorials. I am a coder and personally havent looked over the quake engine, but I have written a few 2d engines, and looked over the unreal engine. If you are looking to learn to code, I dont recommend starting with a 3d engine, go for 2d and work your way up.

If you are not into the coding, but the levels ect, follow skyclads advice, I agree with him that it is a very vague question.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What the guys said. There are some good books available on the topic too.

The Quake source might be a bit much to start with - even building these things is difficult sometimes.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Sit back and think for a moment what you want to achieve with this? Great you downloaded the quake code, it's fun cos u have it. Try reading it, understanding it, another thing entirely. The way I see it is how ambitious are you about programming/game editing. Let's put this on a scale. If you not prepared to put in a lot of time and hard work, then start with a simple game like tetris and beef it up with your own quirks. Or be prepared for a long and winding road, sweat blood and tears that might not get you anywhere, frustration and eventually back to just playing games and not programming them. Level editing is less intensive and might be a good start if you really want to deal with quakealikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    I am a complete noob to programing or game editing

If you are a complete newbie to programming or game programming you shouldn't be going near the Quake code. John Carmack is a very complex coder, and while the Quake code is not too complex or unreadable you still really should know what you are doing before trying to understand it.

If you aren't sure about programming I would buy a good C book or a good C++ book (most C++ books teach you C first then C++)

I recommend Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How to Program". It is quite long, but very complete, you will know a lot about C++ and programming in general after it.

When it comes to game programming I would recommend LaMothe's "Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus" and "Tricks of The 3D Game Programming Gurus", read in that order. The are excellent books to introducing you to game design and programming.

The first book introduces you to game design, game loops, drawing to the screen, blitting sprites, 2D vector drawing (basis for 3D vector drawing), sound, basic physics, AI and communicating with joysticks and gamepads.

The second book teaches you about 3D graphics without using Direct3D or OpenGL. This is an excellent approch because you learn what 3D engines such as Direct3D are actually doing rather than just the function calls to make them do it.

After all this you should be capable of understand other graphic engines and even writing your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement