Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the anti-spam website - how to improve on this

Options
  • 04-09-2003 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed a link in someone's boards.ie signature - Fight Spam!!! .

The thought of spammers being plagued by failed delivery receipts, having their databases filled with fake e-mail addresses etc. gives me a warm feeling inside. Unfortunately the bastards are clever and will find ways around it. One way I can think of is by automatically excluding the above url from their list of web sites to search through. So I'd imagine a better solution would be to include the php(or whatever) code in your own website and have all the e-mail addresses appear hidden down in the bottom of your own page. Anyone else got any ideas for making it smarter?

If their databases become too flooded with fake e-mail addresses, then they will probably have to be stricter when pruning them, and so ignoring the spam that comes into your e-mail box might have more of an effect (some spammers check to see if you've opened their e-mail so they know your address is real).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Just noticed a link in someone's boards.ie signature - Fight Spam!!! .

i.e me.

Yeah if someone posted php code for this i would put it on my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a few PHP scripts floating around out there that do this. Some of them will produce several thousand totally useless email addresses at a time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Which means remote servers will be swamped with thousands of spam messages and have to send bounces back to em all...

Which means email traffic will start to increase..

Doesn't seem like a particularly smart solution to me.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

To be honest server-side filtering is the best solution. We have been running a variety of filters for our shared clients for the last 18 months and the results are more than satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭corkie

One of the best anti spam address to use is
    anythingyouwant@localhost

I also read somewhere that certain, .info address do not have e-mail servers attached to them.

Your page seems to underestimate the intelligence of the spammers.

The only benifit of people linking to your site is that you get some free advertisement and maybe a higher ranking in search engines.Good tactic for webmasters to note!

To avoid getting spam at your ISP given e-mail account, do not give this address out to anyone including your closet friends are family. Only use it for contact with your ISP.

If the ISP uses the first part of your e-mail account in the webspace they provide do not use it.

For example if your e-mail account is:
    someone@your.isp and they only give you webspace at the url of
    your.isp/~someone or someone.your.isp

If you use the space and publish the url online, or off people/spammers can easily work out your e-mail addy.

If you are only using the space to store a collection of links. Anytime you click on the link your telling the owner of the hosting provider of that website your e-mail address. If their is third party scripts/images on that site they also may get your address.

See my likes/dislikes and visit the List of lists
    you will find a list of AntiSpam tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Verb had a point unfortunately :(

I guess for me the feeling is that it's not just enough to stop the spam getting to me, the spammer has to suffer as well. Oh well, that'll be the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭corkie

That anti-spam page is a spammer goldmine!

Why put link:theurlofthatpageinto into google.

With my instructions above of what not to do with your ISP given website.

See all the people that may be getting spamed by linking to that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,999 ✭✭✭✭Stark

damn those spammers and their ****ty mentality. If someone puts so much effort into keeping free of spam, what makes you think they're going to read anything you send them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It could be regarded as a variation in the "please spam you friends with this fake virus warning" technique to jam up the email systems..

If ISP's could filter this junk better - but then scanning software is not free (even linux needs user intervention) - it would help.

But since the Department of Homeland Security is going to be a microsoft shop, well figure it out your self.

Advertisement