Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El-Hadji Diouf fined

• 04-09-2003 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Liverpool star El-Hadji Diouf has been fined 5grand for spitting on a Celtic fan in last seasons uefa cup competition.

I don't know much about the scottish legal system but I suppose it could have been harsher. The case was probably helped by him by him switching his plea to guilty under provocation.

Hopefully he can concentrate now on matters on the pitch - does anyone have any views on the verdict, fair or not harsh enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 no1lfcfan

I think it should have been more.........it was an absolute disgrace what he done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Pete I remember watching that in Maguires with yourself and Ronan.
    I saw the incident first hand. He's a pup and deserves what he got. There's fierce pressure under these lads, and diouf is fairly young so I think he'll grow out of this immature nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems fair enough. What he did was out of order, but it was a heat of the moment thing and he's still a young player who I believe has learned from his mistake. Now that it's all done and dusted let's hope he can produce more displays like those against Spurs and Everton where I thought he was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

LFC have issued the following statement on behalf of Diouf
    "I want to say again how sorry I am for what happened at Celtic Park but hope people will understand how shocked I was when I was struck on the back of the head. As was made clear today, such an action in Senegal carries a very different and degrading meaning. My immediate reaction reflected what I took as a very deliberate provocation. It was wrong and is a mistake I'll not make again.

"I sincerely hope this incident will not affect the great relationship between the two clubs and their supporters and want to publically wish Celtic and there fans all the best at home and in the Champions League this season.

"I've already been fined heavily by the club and respect the decision of the Glasgow court. I hope I can now draw a line under this whole business and get on with my job of playing football for Liverpool."

I think under the circumstances of it being his first year in the English game, his confusion as to what the action meant and his guilty plea adds up to about 5 grand. The club fined him 2 weeks wages at the time. He wil learn from this as the majority of young players do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Was the twat that hit him fined i guess not. Nobody condones his behaviour but sometimes they are severly provoked and are human after all. He deseres his fine but the fan that provoked him should not get off scot free (pardon the pun). The recent henry incident is another example of fans behaving badly and getting off while the player gets punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Another interesting case then that Rooney got away with it when he did it but Diouf did not. anything to do with the english FA turning a blind eye ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness to Rooney, he didn't spit at anyone - just spit on the ground 'towards' the Liverpool supporters. Still should have been given a slap on the wrists by his club though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

So completely wrong
    Originally posted by p.pete
    Liverpool star El-Hadji Diouf

Liverpools star????? :p

5 grand.....it should have been a couple of banned matches imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

couple match ban ? please shut the hell up

he shoulda turned around and given the fan a punch in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by SearrarD
    5 grand.....it should have been a couple of banned matches imho
    ROFL, I don't know which you are showing a greater ignorance of:

a) football in general
    b) the juridiction of the Scottish legal system versus the jurisdiction of footballs governing bodies.

Would you like him to be banned from European matches, Premiership matches, Scottish league matches - or is it all the same to you:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

that fan said he wants to "tap the head of a renowned international player"!!!! My arse

same as the fella who provoked Cantona, he got banned for matches and the supporter was given the VIP treatment

interesting the way diouf said that a tap on the head in senegal is very degrading? is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

In fairness, they were only Celtic fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i didn't think the pat on the head was provocative, it seemed similar to a pat on the back sort of thing

5 grand is a tiny fine, considering how much he makes a week, but this is probably because the club fined him

what impressed me was what he said in the interview, he seems sensible and whats to get on with the football
    i always got the impression he wasn't the brightest, so thats good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

it wasn't a whack on the head, it was more of a oh-ya-muppet-for-falling-into-the-stands tousling of his stubble...i've heard diouf always gets his roots done before matches...

Advertisement