Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

you see, once there was a boy who took my posts on a silly thread too seriously.
    he was YOU, pinnafore.
    it isn't common decency to cry at random times when you realized the world is f*cked up, you are right and have reason, reasonable person.

sorry for the deviation from the topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PopTart

I have only ever cried at 2 movies my girl and Deep impact .........
    I didn't thinking saving private ryan was anything to cry about
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

How many people have seen the new lord of the rings and givin as its ctyi and most of u probably have, was anyone else dissappointed by it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Spenguin

I'm going to see it on sunday. Is it not good? I heard it was meant to be the best one yet! Aww... If its not good that would suck.

Its still brilliant its just the others were better, well in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

aaaarrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!

my kingdom for a film buff!!!

spaghetti westerns anyone???
    for a fistful of dollars yojimbo??????????
    for a few dollars more
    the good, the bad and the ugly

thanks for mentioning casablanca!!!

citizen kane anyone?????

platoon???

magnificent seven?? seven samurai??

jeez.....
    and i thought i didn't know movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Quoth the raven
    and i thought i didn't know movies

judging by some of those movies i'd agree

care to elaborate jaff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

actually, i think there all great, i just wanted to quote you so i could say "quoth the raven" :p

yeah, i spotted that!!
    nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The Deer Hunter. now thats a movie. one of the few films that nearly had me crying at the end....poor nikki.

Also raven i loved the GB&U series of movies :) happy now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by crash_000
    The Deer Hunter. now thats a movie. one of the few films that nearly had me crying at the end....poor nikki.
    That movie is about the best in showing the effects of war, in the lives of veterans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

Ben Hur, The Great Escape, The shining, The Magnificent Seven, Donnie Darko, This is Spinal Tap, Westworld, Airplane and Terminator 2.

All fairly decent movies in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    That movie is about the best in showing the effects of war, in the lives of veterans.

Must've taken a long while to come up with such an original take on the film.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Top 5 Films Of All Time

1. High Fidelity
    It not only inspired the format for this list but it is the universal male experience. Every single guy on earth / the first world can relate to how Rob feels at some stage or another in the film. The book even moreso.

2. Love, Actually
    Yes, it is the ultimate romantic comedy and I'm a sucker for romantic comedies. I dare anyone to go and see this film and not come out feeling happy -- go on, try it!

3. Snatch
    What can I say? I love Jason Statham and Pitt's pikey accent alone makes this film worth watching. Brilliant stuff.

4. The Italian Job / Ocean's Eleven
    I've never seen the old version of either film so I more or less counted these films as originals rather than remakes of classics - and I love them both.

5. Richie Rich
    I watched this film every night going to bed for about two years - it made me feel good to watch it and I can think of no better quality a film should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I have a few comments to add to that bob:

High Fidelity - my god its like a catologue of a male life :)

Snatch - "Ile Doe ih fir ah carvan" and "itsfirmeema"

and also i refuse to see the new italian job. i just love the original too much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭malecO

Stick LOTR3 on my list too.

the new LOTR wasn't as good as the two others. still amazing, though. am i the only one who is excessively annoyed by frodo in this part of the story? leeching off sam like that, posessed by the ring or not. twas terribly horribbibble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I saw Fight Club last night. That's a pretty good movie. It would have been so much better if the ending handed allready been told to me.

Still, the movie was good anyway. Even if I did know the big shocking ending. But I really hate whoever told me the ending, I wish I remember who it was.

I really liked the third one. I already knew what was going to happen because i reads the book a few years back, but it was still really good. Gollum was funny. The second one was probably the best though. No wait, maybe it was the third one. Well, they're all good.

• Advertisement

'The second one was probably the best though'

Yeah i agree. I loved the second one and i was hoping that the 3rd would be better again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

Quiz Show
    Lord of the Rings (all 3)
    Indiana Jones
    Monty Python (all of them)
    The Usual Suspects
    The Lion King
    Pirates of the Carribean
    On the Waterfront
    Bowling for Columbine
    Shrek
    Finding Nemo (I know I'm sad)
    Its a Wonderful Life
    The Star Wars ones, especially the old ones
    Beauty and the Beast
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    There probably are more that I like better but can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

This is sort of off the point of Lord Of The Rings (I thought the Return of the King was the best anyway) but I've never seen Grease. Am I actually missing anything or is it actually any good? And I've never seen any James Bond movies either. Are THEY any good? People find the fact I haven't seen these is weird, so I was just wondering is there any point in wasting several hours of my life in order to become a tiny bit more normal. And lets face it, it'll take a lot more than Grease and James Bond to make me anything even approaching normal.

I also haven't seen the Sound of Music.

This is sort of off the point of Lord Of The Rings (I thought the Return of the King was the best anyway) but I've never seen Grease. Am I actually missing anything or is it actually any good? And I've never seen any James Bond movies either. Are THEY any good? People find the fact I haven't seen these is weird, so I was just wondering is there any point in wasting several hours of my life in order to become a tiny bit more normal. And lets face it, it'll take a lot more than Grease and James Bond to make me anything even approaching normal.

I also haven't seen the Sound of Music.

the sound of music won numerous academy awards but IMHO it's a load of sh*te.
    if you're in any which way masculine or even feminine but nerdy, then you'll love all twenty bond films, of course that excludes OHMSS.
    as for Grease? yeah, it's actually stupid good!! you know that "oh god look its Travolta and he's such a tool!" and the "jeebus!! they really wore that sh*t back then?". the score is fantastic. yes i mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

I would Just like to state how honored I am that this thread is still going. Tee hee. Happy Christmas everyone. I loved the new Lord of the Rings. OH and Pirates of the Carribbean? BRILLIANT. Johnny is so yummy ud have to chew on a sock to keep ya calm. I mean it !I hear the extended version of Return of the king will have 1 1/2 hrs of extra footage. I like the sound of that. That means even longer goodbye hugs, and if we're really unlucky a more hearty hello between Arwen and Aragorn.

Any other good movies.. Oh yes. Any other princess bride fans?

' Pirates of the Caribbean'

Best movie ever. So many people I know hated it, but its so frickin good! I got it for christmas, and I watched it on christmas day, st. stevens day, today and I plan on watching it tomorrow too. Johnny Depp is the coolest, greatest (most pretty) guy in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭twirly sponge

I love Grease! Grease is sooo great, it's one of my favouritist movies ever. I haven't seen Pirates of the Carribean yet! I really want to see it like right now what with everyone saying how fantabulous it is. And The Return of the King as well. Ooh, you know what's good? The Commitments! I just saw it now and it's great. And it has Glen Hansard! with long hair! And Colm Mac Con Iomaire! With no beard! And Maria Doyle Kennedy! When she was just Maria Doyle! And Andrea Corr! When she was little and does not look at all like she looks now. And the music is great too.

the commitments....ah....the memories.
    fantastic, it was. the soundtrack, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by PurplePainter
    I hear the extended version of Return of the king will have 1 1/2 hrs of extra footage. I like the sound of that. That means even longer goodbye hugs, and if we're really unlucky a more hearty hello between Arwen and Aragorn.

Yeah, maybe they'll bring back the proper ending of the story as well. (They did say that Christopher Lee's scenes are in the extended version, so here's hoping.)

Glen Hansard with long hair? I must look at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

we'll be waiting a while for Christopher lee's scenes. LOTR3 DVD doesn't come out til Nov. '04 i hear.

and there is NO way Grease should have been voted No.1 Musical last nite on that show. West Side Story is SOOOO much better.

Advertisement