Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best router firewall (consumer)

Options
  • 04-09-2003 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

whats the best router firewall on the market, within the 300 yo-yo price range. what should i be lookign for in a router firewall besides nat. thinking of getting this adsl combo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I bought its brother/parent the Netgear DG824M 3 months ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. Its 802.11b rather than 802.11g, but thats fine for me. I use both CAT 5 and these cuties to connect and it does the job.

You might just compare the specs of the one you are looking at (WGR614) with the WGT624, just in case the there is anything extra in it for you. Full specs from www.netgear.com

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

you should look at the Allied Telesyn router/firewall...includes configurable stateful inspection firewall...and also 4 port switch...i have installed tonnes of these and not one problem...

have a look here

you can buy it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Do you need a wireless router? If it's just the wired routing and firewall you need then nothing beats an old machine running BSD or Smoothwall imho (except maybe a new machine running it :) ). You can usually get a suitable comp for nothing. Someone bought me a drink to take theirs off their hands. Then all you need is the adsl modem.

Don't think because you're not paying several hundred quid that it's a lesser option. I'd chose this setup over a hardware firewall/router any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

As MrPiNk says, you can do good things with an old PC. Have a look at IPCop, which is based on Smoothwall. I've been setting one of these up, and it's simple and powerful (and free!)

Advertisement