Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cablelink...

Options
  • 06-05-1999 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

so theyve been taken over by NTL...an American company if i'm right?. I just heard a spokesman on the radio claiming that they plan to spend over £200million on upgrading telecommunications infrastructure. Does this mean we'll be seeing cable internet soon?. I also heard that TE and RTE had absoloutly no plans to carry out upgrades of any kind, they were only holding on to the company to sell it to the highest bidder. So that explains why cablelink stalled on the trials of their internet service..bah, lousy bureaucrats.

Conshidrubley, richer than yowww!!
    robertgallagher@tinet.ie
    http://www.planet-tribes.com/em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

NTL have started offering cable modems in the UK. one of our uk members (el barto) has registered and hopes to get it in in the next 2 months smile.gif 256k speeds supposedly for 40quid a month with no phone call charges etc.

thinks there was a link on barrysworld to it yesterday

[This message has been edited by ButcherOfNog (edited 06-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Errr did NTL actually buy cablelink?

Esat Telecom got a court order to stop the sale because NTL's bid price for Cablelink was "the highest bid plus 15%"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

They TRIED to get a court injunction but failed and cablelink was bought by NTL

Ride ME Sharon Na Bhilean or summat. god shes a fox the blonde one on telly that does the irish news she now does the one o clock news
    BUT ANYWAYS
    Role On Cable Modems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Ya gotta admire their biding technique though, cablelink say we want your bids in by such an such a date, then NTL pop off their bid which basically is a piece of paper saying we'll offer 15% over the highest one you recieve. Then they also got in touch with Esat and tried to keep the final price artifically low by agreeing not to bid too much

-=- Allegedly -=- smile.gif

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Someone should have put in a bid for 15 billion to **** them off, that would pretty much be a contract they were in then to pay 17 and a quarter million to rte, to fund Gay's pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Yipee cable modems. One thing in Ireland cablelink were only supporting download via cable is this still going to be the way ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Nope... the cablelink website says, in brief, Full Duplex for Dublin 2 and Tallaght to start. Yay!

Dan (soon to live in D2 smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Tallaght, nice one

Who would've thought movin to tallaght would pay off smile.gif

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

A no What about the rest of the country?
    I suppose we still have to use Tinet and the likes for a while. Unless Telecom seriously drop the price of ISDN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Well I know we should all be keeping it in Irish hands but if NTL bring in cable modem technology with no telephone charges I'm all for the Americans taking over the entire country smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm on record as being a strong supporter of Cable Modems. And NTL were the people I MOST wanted to see take over it.
    They have pledged to put a set-top box in 90% of houses in the near future (that was part of their dicky bid, I dunno if they have retracted it)

Telecom bought 51% of cablelink a while ago in order to deliberately stall any attempts to upgrade the network to 2 way traffic. Its a disgrace that a semi state body has been able to sabotage the development of the Irish economy in this way with irish tax-punts.
    I hope they get everything thats coming to them.

It begins.

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

what begins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

> what begins?

hopefully the start of TE TAKING IT and us getting some decent connections to play Quuuaaaakee with....

now ask santy for mr. cable modem smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Theyll be spending mroe like 1 billion on the telecommunicaions incudnig fibre obtics(decent ones) to NI and UK. well have to wait a few years before we see this though/.

Cable modems for existing Cablelink customers withing a few months... not very cheap though. Around 300 install.not sure monthly.

kegs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So this could mean good news for the Irish online ppl with cheep cabel/phone bills.But what about TV.Will this mean more pay per veiw crap like sky are always pulling?Will we have to pay extra if we want to watch the new series of southpark,startrek etc.Things sure could get interesting.

Ven(better the devil ya know)om

Advertisement