Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non e-mail Spam to my computer

Options
  • 04-09-2003 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

I keep getting spam messages sent to my IP, at least I'm pretty sure that's what they are... funny thing is they're mostly advertising stopping the damn things.
    Can anyone help me stop the bloody things, they're annoying as hell, I'm getting two an hour and i keep getting pulled out of games by them.
    I'm using XP if it's relevent.

(this is the best place I could think to post this, if there's a better feel free to move it :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sounds like the very anoying adverts sent over windows messenger heres how to disable it

Click Start->Control Panel

For Category View only (skip this step for Classic View), click Performance and Maintenance

Click Administrative Tools

Double-click Services

Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"

Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties

Click the STOP button.

Select Disabled or Manual on the Startup Type drop-down menu

Click OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

Thanks.
    although it'll take a while for me to find out if this has worked, but if I don't reply again, then it did :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should also download a copy of AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) and scan your system for spyware (software installed on your system without your permission).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Make sure you're firewalled.

(is that Gorgoroth?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FYI folks, if this question comes up again it's answered in the Apps, Hacks, Fixes, Links, etc. sticky thread at the top of this board. Just point people at Messenger Popup Spam there, save yourself the hassle.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement