Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should win the Shortlist Music Prize?

Options
  • 05-09-2003 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

"Today's most creative albums chosen by the world's top musicians", the Shortlist Music Prize is America's answer to the UK's Panasonic Mercury Music Prize. For more information, visit www.shortlistofmusic.com. The winner will be announced October 5th.

Although I probably should be rooting for Damien, my vote goes to Interpol for their damn well recommended album.

Who should win the Shortlist Music Prize? 18 votes

Bright Eyes for "Lifted"
    0% 0 votes
    The Black Keys for "thickfreakness"
    5% 1 vote
    Cat Power for "You Are Free"
    5% 1 vote
    Cody Chesnutt for "Headphone Masterpiece"
    0% 0 votes
    Damien Rice for "O"
    0% 0 votes
    Floetry for "Floetic"
    33% 6 votes
    Interpol for "Turn on the Bright Lights"
    0% 0 votes
    Sigur Ros for "( )"
    22% 4 votes
    The Streets for "Original Pirate Material"
    22% 4 votes
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs for "Fever to Tell"
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I also voted for Interpol as its an absosutly brilliant album I wont bore you with details of my music colection but lets just say that I have a section for my all time favourite albums and its the only album of the past couple of years to make It.
    Bright Eyes lifted is also an extremly good album definatly one of my favourites of recent years.
    Fair play to damien for geting nominated Im sure it will do his carear good I got the album ages ago and thought it was good but not brilliant but what do I know.
    I was a little disapoined with the yeah yeah yeah's album though all hype and not much substance decent but nothing to get exited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Cat Power's "You are Free" album is also very good, but her Whelans gig last July was so completely ridiculous that I lost total respect for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Haven't actually heard the others but O is simply amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I voted for Damien Rice because those 10 songs were the soundtracck to my last 12 months.

Though one must keep some RATM and stone roses close to hand for rockin'/groovin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    I voted for Damien Rice because those 10 songs were the soundtracck to my last 12 months.

Though one must keep some RATM and stone roses close to hand for rockin'/groovin!

did i just say that?

oh dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Winner has been announced, and its Damien Rice;

RICE DREAM
    Damien Rice has won the third annual Shortlist Award in the US.
    The Irish singer-songwriter picked up the award at the Los Angeles Wiltern Theatre last night (October 6), his album '(O)' beating competition from the likes of The Streets, Cat Power, The Black Keys, Cody ChesnuTT, Floetry and Interpol.

For winning, Rice received a $5,000 cash prize.
    Previous winners of the Shortlist Music Prize are Sigur Ros and N*E*R*D.

Source: NME.com

Congrats to the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

personally, i would have loved bright eyes to win, but damien rice is good too. :)
    and at this point i would also like to vent my relief that the streets didnt win. hate them with a passion!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Duo

Meh, I'll go with Sigur Ros for '( )'. It's a pretty good album. Better than the restof the stuff up there. ^.~

Advertisement