Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus or spam?

• 05-09-2003 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I have started receiving a couple of email with the linke of postmaster and mailer daemon etc. saying my email have failed results returned to sender etc.

Trouble is i haven't been sending any email from that account. Is this just a form of spam i'm not familar with or do they contain a virus?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sounds like someone out there was being bold and sent emails (with virii) using your email address as the sender. The recipients of these recognised the virii and just bounced the mails (which were returned to you) This is quite common and happens to me all the time. There is nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've been getting the same for the last few days. Mine have been because of the SoBig virus.

By any chance is your mail address eircom.net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Definitely a virus, make sure your AV is up to date and your OS has the blaster patch installed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yes my address is an eircom.net. With regards to the AV, i'm only accessing the net from work at the moment, they have NAV corporate edition which i think they update regularly, is nothing to do with me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Eircom.net...

I'm the same, received 25 mails two days ago infected with SoBig, a few were mails returned to me as well.

Before that I hadn't received any on my eircom account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've just got two so far i think, though the amount of normal spam is way down for me these days for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Check if the emails that were supposedly sent from your account had attachments. Most likely someone who has your email address stored on their computer is infected by a worm (e.g. Sobig) and has been sending out emails with viral attachments (Sobig spoofs the fake originating address from addresses it finds on the infected computer) that look like they are coming from your address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's happened to me 3 times aswell.
    But from my hotmail account, so it's probably like Sico says.

Advertisement