Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Launch FRIACO-style product (finally)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

whoopdeedoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

[Bullsh1t detector]

Unrivalled technical telephone support and expertise from Ireland's leading ISP.

[/Bullsh1t detector]

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing special. I'll add it to the sticky for fairness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oh look it's not really flatrate, surprise surprise.

€29.99 a month for the all day up to 150 hours a month option.

€9.99 (which is pretty much what you'd pay in the uk for the full whack) gives you a poxy 25 hours a month which you can only use at off-peak times. That's still 40c an hour, not much less than the normal 60c an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Flat Rat. Absolute class. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I think their the only ISP to support 128K Isdn 'flat rate' ... which aint half bad. I know if I was still on dial up, I'd go with them without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Yeah, for people who will not be able to get broadband in the foreseeable future the 128k is a added bonus, 150 hours at 128k for 30 euro is not that bad, not great but not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by ando
    I think their the only ISP to support 128K Isdn 'flat rate' ... which aint half bad. I know if I was still on dial up, I'd go with them without a doubt

But if you read their FAQ, it says If you dial up using dual channel ISDN your allocated time is used twice as fast, so really you'd only be getting 75 hours online for 29.99 (if you used both channels every time you dialled up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It's 150 hours. Not flat rate. I suppose it is "flat rate until you use more than 150 hours". Which isn't flat rate.

Kind of like an all you can eat saying "all you can eat as long as you don't eat more than three potatoes!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

bah.. knew there would be some kinda catch with the 128k isdn option. rat bastards.. guess I'll stay with utv then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    It's 150 hours. Not flat rate. I suppose it is "flat rate until you use more than 150 hours". Which isn't flat rate.

Kind of like an all you can eat saying "all you can eat as long as you don't eat more than three potatoes!"

i dont mean to be rude or anything (honestly, i dont :) ) but could one of the moderators change the title of this to "Fixed rate has arrived".... just to stop the thread going way off topic again.

(i know that you were probably talking about eircom calling it "flat rate", but pfft......what do eircom know anyway? :rolleyes: ;):p )

-andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Yes, I was referring to how Eircom are referring to it as being "flat rate" when it clearly is not, and not this thread. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer. I can see now how there could be confusion.

Edit: Additionally, I do not mean to appear like I am grumbling about the current packages. I think they are a huge step forward, and I can not thank the likes of IOffL enough for making them possible. At the same time however, I think we should press for true flat rate packages, where users are not billed additional sums of money for going over very small limits by international standards. I think we can make this possible by halving the cost of FRIACO ports, and making them full tandem.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I think it's sick the way they're shoving this in your face, it's the same deal as what UTVip brought out, no better.
    Now, I seem to recall Eircom saying there was absolutely NO demand whatsoever for A: Friaco and B: Broadband.

I'm buying my Philip Nolan voodoo doll tonight :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

its what UTVip brought out almost a year ago and then upgraded with an extra 30 hours........................... eircom are going backwards! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just looking at the details for there packages and just came across this..
    The security and peace of mind that comes with being with the largest Internet provider in Ireland

ah wtf is this about? How are they more secure then Esat?

Is'ent it Eircom.net's website that was taken down by people?
    Is'ent it Eircom who changed everyone's passwords for dialup because of it?

Kinda false advertising imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Flat Rat. Absolute class. :)

LOL :D

I wonder if Philip Nolan bears a certain Ring of Power and is using it to command his army of Rats?

The Army of Eirdor is coming... *dramatic music*

The Free Counties of Middle-Ireland will never be safe again! :ninja:

Edit: I know if JRR Tolkien's relatives' solicitors saw this they would have my head! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

Originally posted by The Insider
    Yeah, for people who will not be able to get broadband in the foreseeable future the 128k is a added bonus, 150 hours at 128k for 30 euro is not that bad, not great but not that bad.

It's NOT 150 hours on 128k ISDN. Read the Eircom Net flat-rate FAQ, it says Dual ISDN counts as two lines, so your time is eaten up twice as fast.

So if you use 128k ISDN with Eircom's package, you only have 75 hours per month.

You didn't actually think Eircom were being nice, did you? :confused:
    UTVip XL FAQ: Can I use ISDN with UTVip XL?
    Yes.
    You must register both ISDN lines during the sign-up process. The service will allow a single connection, so if you have ISDN, set the connection so that one channel (64k) is made.

Our ‘pay as you go’ service will support dual-channels up to 128k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What you want is ISDN (or something along those lines), at 30quid a month. FLAT RATE. No hidden extras. Oh, and VAT included.

Or even better, put up some Wireless LANS and charge 30quid a month, flat rate.

MMM, Wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

does anybody know the minimum contract length for their business anytime 150hrs package?

( im on iol anytime business atm for work purposes but like online gaming at night, and say a 2 or 3 month contract for good pings wouldnt bother me even with the rat)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Oh man, oh man. If only my employer would let me play games on their T1 LAN. Oh sweet.

What ping????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yup and they have managed to mess it up completely already.

Advertisement