Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought we had zero tolerance in 1997 :ninja:

What to do about crime? Where does one start. Is a murder the result of a particular set of circumstances or indicative of Irish
    Society as a whole? I belive most murders are not due to criminal gangs (though a large % are I realise) they are usually men killing women after a relationship goes into meltdown and an incident sparks a violent moment.

Tackling organised crime requires the sustained deploment of expensive resources and governments are not inclined to spent the money unles they have to be seen to do so. Such as after Veronica Guerins murder, and that was dealing with the aftermath
    not the cause.

Thats where more effort is desperatly required, as long as ppl rasied in environments where drugs, be they hard or soft, are at the core of existence and there is money to be made there will be NO improvement. Only occassional crackdowns when the press/public scream for something to be done. Zero tolerance sounds good - but its takes far more than that...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I hate to point out that the person didn't actually die according to the article.
    "Zero tolerance" is typical rhetoric used by politicians at a time of media frenzy over a particular crime.
    Such as the ineffectual legislation that made me leave the relatively lower priced pub last night at 23:30. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

"Zero tolerance" is typical rhetoric used by politicians at a time of media frenzy over a particular crime.

Funny you should say that, I'm reminded of a particular Austrian "politican" every time I hear that particular phrase.

Advertisement