Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Protocol IM client

• 05-09-2003 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for an IM client, on linux and/or windows that can handle multiple protocols per contact. So if person A is online on ICQ and MSN, they won't show up twice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Trillian does all of those, maybe one at a time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

not sure about linux, but trillian definitly integrates all the usual im's (msn, icq, aim, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

yeah trillian handles multiple protocols, but I don't think it lets you do what I want...

Say I have a friend called, I dunno, Peter. Peter* uses MSN at home, as hunkylover2003@hotmail.com*. But, in work, the best he can manage is ICQ lite via the webpage, where he's 115148754*. I'd like to be able to associate both acounts with the one contact. Everybuddy used to do it (apparentely, I never used it), but it has code forked and i don't want to touch it until both branches settle down. And I need something that's being maintained actively cos of the MSN issue at the moment

* obviously fictional...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Hrm... gaim is about the most functional linux multiprotocol IM client at the moment...

http://gaim.sourceforge.net

Not sure if anything has the feature you're looking for though..

Duffman - its on their ToDo list, apparentely...

• Advertisement

Remember that Microsoft's decision to prevent 3rd party clients connecting to the MSN network soon may mean that Linux users will just have to abandon the MSN protocol...

Yeah, I know, but the best you can hope for is that the clients who keep up with the latest protocols will be more likely to keep working past the 15th of October...

Kopete does what i want on linux but the interface is horrible, and it sems really buggy. I'd prefer to keep using GAIM.

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Yeah, I know, but the best you can hope for is that the clients who keep up with the latest protocols will be more likely to keep working past the 15th of October...

The problem is that it's not the protocol that's changing.. It's the fact that newer MSN clients use encryption when they connect to the network... :(

I thought the encryption was built into MSN Protocol V8 or higher?

Advertisement