Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealing with flatmates

• 05-09-2003 1:11pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right here's a little story for you lads

I currently live in a flat with two other lads, but from time to time I stay at my girlfriends.

So this morning around 8am I come back from my girlfriends place to find
    1. the front door unlocked
    2. stuff in my room thrown around the place and stuff robbed.
    3. the bedroom window wide open (ground floor)

So as you can bloody well imagine I'm fairly pissed off so I call into my first flat mates room and I say WTF my rooms been robbed!!!! any ideas?

He gets out of bed takes alook in my room then goes back to bed.
    Sooo, I start knocking on my other flat mates room and I open the door and say basically the same, WTF my room has ben robbed and the front door was unlocked!!!!
    He basically says "what eh, the door was unlocked" and I just slam the door.

Now this stage both of them have gone back to bed AFTER I've informed them that I've been robbed and that it may be becauyse the front door was unlocked!!

So I phoned a mate of mine in upstairs and he calls down straight away to help out.

Now bare in mind that the second flat mate has left the front door unlocked ATLEAST 4 times before in the past two months!!
    He has been warned about this every single time, he was last in and he never locked it.
    Normally if I am staying in the apartment I check the door every night and make sure its locked but obviuously I couldn't do it last night.

If you were in this same position as me right now what would you do or say to the other flat mates.
    At this stage I'm fairly pissed off because some of my stuff has been taken (€850+).

Any ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

pity kicking 40 shades out of him isn’t an option!
    I'd be rightly pissed off and would try to get him to fork out some money to help you buy new stuff, after all it's his damn fault!

If it was me

I'd move out

but if you can't do that then

I’d kick him out, let him find somewhere else to live
    or
    put two good locks on your bedroom door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

So basically, they were both there. Your room got robbed and nothing else in the apartment.

Do you trust them ? They may of had something to do with it perhaps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nothing else taken so I'm a mystified as the rest of you

Frankly I find it strange that nothing else was taken else where, even my pc wasn't taken which I find very strange
    (http://www.cabaal.org/images/comp/shuttle/001.jpg)
    Ypou gota admit why would someone not rob it? its small and easy take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Had you your bedroom door locked?

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get the Gardai involved. Something tells me that there were more than just your flatmates having a bit of a shindig in your house last night.

• Advertisement

sounds suspicious.
    looks also like you don't get on with your flatmates, considering it was a neighbour and not them that helped you.
    I'm tending to think, also theres some involvement here by them, considering your pc wasn't taken.

Of course, only you would know that. They or just one of them could be harbouring a grudge against you or want you to move out in favour of someone else.

Regardless, Your flatmates are not good ones, so you either get rid of them or you move elsewhere-ultimate solution.

mm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by seamus
    Get the Gardai involved. Something tells me that there were more than just your flatmates having a bit of a shindig in your house last night.

This is they thing, so I hpne the Gardai and tell them what?
    My flatmate left the front door open and my room was been robbed??
    They laugh there heads off and I wouldn't blame them one bit!

But yeah still going to have to contact them.

Originally posted by b3t4
    Had you your bedroom door locked?

A.

Nope, because I've always figured if a robber gets into the apartment no locked door is going to stop them.

But I ALWAYS lock my windows.

As far as I can figure, the robber came in through the front door robbed my room and got out the window.

I can see no marks on the outside of the windows and it has a 4/5 point locking system so no way it was opened from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Nope, because I've always figured if a robber gets into the apartment no locked door is going to stop them.

Yeah but, ffs, if the door had been locked the other lads would have heard it being broken down.

Boggle, you're at least 50% culpable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Next time both of the flatmates are out... search their rooms. If you find nothing of yours, steal a load of their shít and stash it somewhere. Get good locks on your bedroom door, and move out as soon as you can.

Also, start fúcking with their heads. You know... move little tables a couple of inches out of places so they bump into them all the time. Relocate common items like cutlery and mugs to new places. Also do the same with stuff like tea, coffee and sugar. Píss on their pillow cases. Stick their toothbrushes up your arsé. Retune all the TV channels to new stations. Keep all the bog roll in your (locked) room. You get the idea...

It's very suss, and if one or both of them wasn't involved.... well, it was their fault.

Revenge.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Typedef
    Yeah but, ffs, if the door had been locked the other lads would have heard it being broken down.

Boggle, you're at least 50% culpable.

Maybe so, but I think the front door matters a tiny bit more so then my bedroom door!

Its not normal to leave the front door open where you live now is it?
    I always find a front door generally slows down robbers and will even stop them.
    1. because of witnesses/people living above us etc
    2. noise they make when trying to open it

Now in the end, I wasn't at home so any noise in my room should have been checked out.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Next time both of the flatmates are out... search their rooms. If you find nothing of yours, steal a load of their shít and stash it somewhere. Get good locks on your bedroom door, and move out as soon as you can.

Also, start fúcking with their heads. You know... move little tables a couple of inches out of places so they bump into them all the time.....

Comes across abit childish to be honest
    Just easier get the Gardai invloved in this whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Also, start fúcking with their heads. You know... move little tables a couple of inches out of places so they bump into them all the time. Relocate common items like cutlery and mugs to new places. Also do the same with stuff like tea, coffee and sugar. Píss on their pillow cases. Stick their toothbrushes up your arsé. Retune all the TV channels to new stations. Keep all the bog roll in your (locked) room. You get the idea...

It's very suss, and if one or both of them wasn't involved.... well, it was their fault.

Revenge.

/me mental note , never let this guy live in my house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Comes across abit childish to be honest
    Just easier get the Gardai invloved in this whole thing.

You do that. They'll have the case cracked in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

can you prove who left the door open.
    sying he did it before is not proof.
    When my place was broken into they piled everything in the middle of the floor and then went through it taking money, cds and dvds and left 2 pcs and a vcr.
    they are not interested in stuff they cant put up their jumpers.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Sorry, but what kind of thief decides to walk in a front door and leave out a window? Did he feel like he wasnt really robbing the place unless he left out the window?

Ok if its not the flatmates, then its the same kinda robber that hears someone maybe walking into the kitchen and decides its time to leave.
    So he/she doesn't get time to take me PC??

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    can you prove who left the door open.
    sying he did it before is not proof.

Yes thats been proven now.

As for what they were looking for.
    they were looking for money can tell the way things are moved around that they were looking under things and stuff.

As far as I can make out they even looked under the bed, because the sheet I had tuged in under the mattress is all pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok I'm not a member here, but I have to ask one thing...

Why do you refer to the lads you live with as "Flatmates", they're obviously not your mates really and never will be?.

Anyone I have lived with I refer to them as the "lads/girls in the house", cause as I always say - you will NEVER be happy with anyone you share with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE: Get angry and beat the pair of them to death with a baseball bat.

Why did the hedgehog cross the road ?
    - to see his flatmate...

I take it there is no point in putting up a security camera or getting one of those things for electric fences and wiring it to the door handle of your room..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You forget the Billy Connolly joke...

A nature program was doing a film shoot in the plains of Africa. As they moved closer to the herd of lions the prime male looked at them with an angry glint in his eye. "ROAR" it said. The cameraman proceeded to take out his Reebok running shoes. "ROOOARRR" said the lion again.
    "You'll never outrun a lion, even in those shoes" Says the sound man.
    "As long as I outrun you I'll be fine" quips the cameraman.

What I mean by that is - if you locked your bedroom door the burglar would have moved on to the other doors before trying to hack your door down. You should have done something if the front door had been left open 4 times already.

Anyway, what to do now? Get the cops in for sure. Make sure your flat dwelling people are in when they come, or at least you give the Gards their mobile numbers.

Sorry. I forgot to know the PC fact.

The 3rd post down I beliee you can see a mention there!

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I take it there is no point in putting up a security camera or getting one of those things for electric fences and wiring it to the door handle of your room..

There's camers covering all sides of the flat complex.
    Landlord is coming down soon see can get a look at them

Well tickle me pink so you did.

Even more proof your so called "mates" stiffed you.

Or that the robber start sorting things and then he/she got freaked and left!
    So then did'ent get time to get anything more then something small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

So the situation is as follows...
    1. They leave the door open a couple of times in the last 2mnths.
    2. You don't get on with them.
    3. You leave your bedroom door open.

Now point number 3 is something which I don't understand at all, at all.

Anyways hope it all gets sorted out for ya.
    Oh yeah and move out too.

A.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by b3t4
    So the situation is as follows...
    2. You don't get on with them.

I never at any stage said that I don't get along with them
    Where the hell did you get this from??

An open door is an invitation to get robbed. You were unlucky. Personally I would have words with my flat mates in your position. It’s not on and it is their fault in many respects.

Agreed, not even an apology yet about leaving the front door unlocked.

I'm far from impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Agreed, not even an apology yet about leaving the front door unlocked.

I'm far from impressed!

apologies are bad in these situations - admission of guilt and all that - bad thing to do before a police report.

tribble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I never at any stage said that I don't get along with them
    Where the hell did you get this from??

Well the fact that none of them got out of bed or 'helped' you at all suggests that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

It looks like an inside job to me. As someone suggested when the other two are out, go into their room and have a quick look, if you find your stuff, take it back, lock your room and get the offender kicked out of the house (for some other reason if possible) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Cabaal, i think that you should probably listen to what these people are saying and stop being so defensive, it was your freakin' flatmates! that's the most rational explanation, and yes you should probably search their rooms, it's not like you would find much, i mean if one of them did it they wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the money lying around their room waiting for you to eventually find it, but still,just in case they ARE that stupid.

I agree with most of the people here anyway, a burglar would have taken more.

• Advertisement

FINALLY my landlord showed up and I got to lok at the videos of the whole flat complex!

The answer is, it was a random scumbag off the street and NOT any of my flat mates.

Can see the scumbag walk in the gate and start looking in windows, he then starts trying doors of Aprts.
    He then tries ours and its OPEN (I know I locked it before I went to work) he spents around 7-8min in my room and then he opens the window, 2mins later he climbs out and walks out towards the gate of the flat complex.

He then looks around at the gate and walks back into the flat complex and starts hitting random buttons at the main door, someone opens the main door for him because he did this.

He then proceeds to try EVERY single other Aprt door in the whole complex before finally leaving!

We got loads of good camera footage and he can be seen doing everything.
    Plus can clearly see the scumnbags face!

Oh and it happened around 13.18 yesterday, as I did not go home when I finished work yesterday I only obviously saw that my room was robbed this morning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

ITs still your flatmates fault. If the door was left open, then iits clearly his fault.

Depending on who's name is on the lease, the best thing to do is to up the rent of the person who left the door open, and use the spare cash to replace items.

*shrugs*

its what i would do

/me peers at Azezil

Originally posted by Doodee
    ITs still your flatmates fault. If the door was left open, then iits clearly his fault.

Maybe so, but NOT in the way everyone else here thought it was

no, it is.

***, you should have had house rules set up shortly after you moved in.

but any theft caused by negligence is the responcibility of the party who is at fault.

clear as day.

to me anyways.
    if he admitted being wrong, then just up his rent by about €20 a week till you have your stuff paid for. and just explain its both punishment and an example to the rest of you.

only a temp measure too.

Originally posted by Doodee
    no, it is.

***, you should have had house rules set up shortly after you moved in.

but any theft caused by negligence is the responcibility of the party who is at fault.

Yes there is atleast a 40% fault on there part for leaving the door open and not actually noticing that the scumbag was in the flat (while they were actually STILL in the flat!)

• Advertisement

Yes there is atleast a 40% fault on there part for leaving the door open and not actually noticing that the scumbag was in the flat (while they were actually STILL in the flat!)

then just tell them, stright up.

if it was their stuff, and was your fault, then im sure they would blame you.

I know that if it was myself and my other 2 flatmates that i'd take responcibility.

sure i owe both €86.50 for ESB (although, its not going towards that) due to borrowing cash for rent on our new place.

You *MAY* be able to threaten them with legal action due to their irresponcibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

the best thing to do is cut your losses and move out....

unless the cops know who the scumbag is, they cant really do a lot about it... as you said they got a good look at his face, but its like looking for a needle in a haystack and breakins are not really a high priority crime for garda anymore as they are pretty common nowadays..

i was robbed recently as well, but not in the same manner; the scumbag actually broke a window to get in.... there is no worse feeling than coming home to find your house is robbed... its a right kick in the balls... i got €5,000 worth of stuff robbed, luckily i was insured...

I moved out straight away.... I was moving anyway the next week but i just moved that day as I wasn't gonna stay there much longer....

give your notice and find somewhere with a few friends if you can, if not, some flatmates who seem to be reasonable human beings compared to the two morons that you currently live with....

just my 2c... good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

It was a opportunistic break in. But be prepared for it to happen again if your door is left open.

Contrary to popular belief all scumbags are retarded....

Although they do get conditioned very easily, "Oh look, that door was left open in that block, I'll bleedin' try again next time I'm round hyar"

This happened at my Moms house, some junkie walked in the back door into the kitchen, nicked her purse, while there was 4 of us in the room next door !! Our c*unty dog, in the kitchen, didn't even bark !!

We called the Fuzz and get this: The sent out 2 heads, a fat Garda and a fine Ban Garda, niesh. They dusted the back door and the frame. What a joke !!

Anyway, the bag turned up a week later, some school kid found it, everything in it, except the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cornell babe

Originally posted by housesharer

Anyone I have lived with I refer to them as the "lads/girls in the house", cause as I always say - you will NEVER be happy with anyone you share with.

lads isnt that really negative? i mean bein human its not always easy to live with people but bein a student ive had to live with lots of different people over the last few years. i have to say i look on it always as a challenge and hoping not to sound corny but i have always made really good friends out of the people i have lived with. its why i never have taken the option of living with friends instead j have the opportunity of making more friends!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Still never got a kiss though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. the front door unlocked

3. the bedroom window wide open (ground floor)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (haven't read through the thread) but...

The front door wasn't let open for people to come in. The person came in through the window and left by the front door.

Thieves will always take the easy way out of the house. Also it sounds like the thieves found the window by accident or were checking out the area.

They would also seeing as it was an oppertunity theft they would grab what they could carry (were your pillows messed with?). Where is your room in relation to the window? I guess they would of split then they realise there were others in the house.

You should of called the Gardai as soon as you noticed stuff was stolen. Also you should have set rules on locking up the house.

Apart from locking windows lock up the doors from the inside so someone can't leave the house easily. It lowers the amount of crap they steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

very frustrating indeed..
    I'd call the cops around when yer two flatmates are in.
    The cops will want to talk to them.
    Tell the cops in their presence, that one of them continuously leaves the door open.
    It won't achieve much except let the muppet that left the door open, know how much of a muppet he is..

Could you get a snap of the scumbag, and post it,
    see does anyone know him ?

Advertisement