Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility for transmitting infected emails

• 05-09-2003 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Like a lot of other people I've been the recipient of a number of SoBig infected emails recently. After examining the headers and determining that they were all coming from the same organisation (although, of course, I couldn't tell from who) I sent an email to the organisation concerned and informed them that there were infected emails coming from their location.

That was 2 days ago. I'm still receiving SoBig emails from them.

In my opinion, once this has been brought to one's attention, one has an obligation to fix the problem or be held responsible to some degree for any subsequent damage caused by the emission of infected email.

Not that I'm in a "compo" frame of mind; rather, I'm finding it hard to believe that any organisation would leave themselves wide open like this.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

Regards,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I'm in the same boat - I'm getting it from 2 sources, one is a machine in a UK university's IT department :rolleyes: and another is a residential DSL subscriber in greece... I've complained about both, and only heard a deafening silence. The virus emails keep on coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I agree completely with the whole individual responsibility thing, suggested the FG Anti-Spam Bill should look at the idea here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1093739#post1093739
    Originally posted by maxheadroom
    and another is a residential DSL subscriber in greece...

LOL, Dublin mailing list right? ;) It's always the Greeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Although the point of the original post is still valid, there was a happy ending in that the organisation responded to me today (apparently the email address I used to communicate with them is only checked weekly) with a pleasant and helpful reply acknowledging that there was an infection which has been dealt with.

Duffman, your suggestion (in the referenced thread) that MS should be obliged to include an anti-virus application with the OS makes perfect sense. I'm quite sure MS could licence one of the main AV products for very little.

Liam

Advertisement