Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game called 'the republic'

Options
  • 05-09-2003 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

anyone bought it yet and what did you think of it ?
    It is single player right ?
    I like the idea behind the game but need to know if it's worth the 40 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some reviews on Metacritic aren't endearing me to the game. :)

Have a read and see what you think....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

link is banned on our 'corperate network' , damn care to copy and paste it ? , but an opinion of a 'player' would most likely be more valuable to me then the so called 'experts' :ninja:

(Numbers are percentages)
    80 - Total Video Games
    It’s certainly not for everyone because of the poor design, weak interface and completely unfriendly learning curve, however those who like their strategy first and foremost and those interested in the games settings will likely gain enjoyment - just remember to scratch beneath the surface.

74 - ActionTrip
    The rather clunky and standoffish interface, combined with the fact that gamers will be required to actually learn things before they are comfortable with the game might put off a fair amount of people who were initially excited about the game.

72 - IGN
    Unintuitive game controls can't wreck an engrossing game experience based on an imaginative adaptation of the old expansion/dirty tricks strategy design.

70 - Games Domain
    Freeform, subtle, complex, rather dry, and just the tiniest bit (appropriately enough) oppressive, Republic: The Revolution is likely to sharply divide gamers.

70 - TotalGames.net
    The intelligent tactical basis should certainly make this a massive hit with hard-core strategists, but the average gamer may struggle to be inspired by the map-based gameplay action and heavy subject matter.

69 - GameSpot
    It's just too bad that overly linear missions and noninteractive 3D action get in the way of the deep political strategizing of Republic's later levels.

63 - netjak
    Republic is just the latest victim of a gaming epidemic: a very original and entertaining game, completely obliterated by a disastrous interface and useless features.

60 - EuroGamer
    Republic would quite probably work excellently as a well-implemented "spreadsheet" style game; the 3D element is worse than pointless, and just gets in the way of the gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

hmmm....this doesn't sound good....might be better off to wait for the budget release.
    Thanks for the posting btw !

Thats the cool thing about Metacritic. One site can always give a bad review, but when 4 or 5 (or more) give a game a bad review, then its usually a sign that the game isn't great. :)

Metacritic also collates reviews of movies, DVDs, and CDs, as well as games for all platforms. Definitely my last port of call before buying a game!

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Seriously good site Metacritic, if a bit slow to load. Thanks for the link:) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well I was intrueged about the game when I heard about it but now I don't think I'll touch it with a six foot barge pole. And it only got three G's on gamesville, so it's not as WIKKID as I hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I bought the game. Its pretty good.

Anybody whos played monopoly tycoon or medieval total war will know the style.

Game with great graphics, but you never see them, because you spend the whole time looking at a map.

REALLY steep learning curve, I have had to restart my empire 3 times already.

Overall, if you aint pushed dont buy it. As was said, wait for budget. It wont take long to come out that way im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

just bought it today, played it for an hour or so, so far im spying on a government official and head hunting another but other than that not a lot is happening at the mo

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gmt

Got the game Friday last week. I really like it. BUT: some people might find it a bit too abstract. You have to be patient with this game. Have a look at this fan site:

http://www.strategyplanet.com/republic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

One hell of a complex game this, just spent another 2 hours on it and have barely scratched the surface, got my first 3 followers at the mo and am generally getting the feel of the game, i have 1 guy canvassing for me and the other doing a poster campaign to drum up support.

I tell ya if your into very deep complex games this is the one to get

Shin

Advertisement