Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In XP how do I set Classic for everyone ?

Options
  • 05-09-2003 6:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to setup PC's so any new user gets default settings
    ie. every single view set to "classic" - file extensions always visible - language set to non-American - all the eye-candy turned off ..

Is there a quick way of doing this ?
    Can it be applied retrospectively to machines already setup..

And I want to roll out the image later on to ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

to turn off the themes go into the services menu of Xp (right click my computer and click mange then hit services + apps then services) scroll down til u see themes and disable it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looks like I'll have to use Profiles since I can't use Policies
    (needs 2K server / active directory etc.)

I can install SW / Printers etc. as Admin - if then copy this profile to DEFAULT USER - and it works bu - does is also copy any security privelages to new users who are then created ?

Or should I be copying the it to the ALL USERS folder to retroactively change settings for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

we have this setup in active directory and group policy and roaming profiles

a new user logs on box..
    sends windows version up to pdc.
    pdc serves xp profile down to box

default profile defined in group policy

same thing for 2k
    and nt4 machines

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds interesting
    Can't use profiles 'cos that would mean rolling out Active Directory - we are not scheduled to do that for another 3 months.

Having to ID OS in login scripts anyway 'cos even Xcopy switches vary a lot between the diff versions of windows..
    Ah well just have to push the profile on instead :)

Advertisement