Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg gets it right (second time around)

Options
  • 05-09-2003 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Unliek the 3,5Ghz spectrum auction under way at the moment, the auction of the same spectrum in the UK may result in no BB services at all. This interesting article Here claims the spectrum was grabbed for 3G backhaul instead.

The licencing conditions in the UK did not require the bidders to provide end users services.

At least Comreg appears to have sorted that, second time around that is.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

A lot of the spectrum still seems to belong to Eircom though, who are doing feck all with it.

But yes, looks like they finally managed to do something right (sort of). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Are blue moons common this time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    A lot of the spectrum still seems to belong to Eircom though, who are doing feck all with it.

And how, exactly, do you know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

What services are available from Eircom (and where?) on the 3.5Ghz spectrum Muchos?

No one in here can find any, anywhere. We'd love to know.

M

*sigh*

Just because there are no apparent residential services doesn't mean the spectrum isn't used. 3.5 Ghz is commonly used for point to point backhaul in Telco land.

But then I'm sure you knew that...

• Advertisement

Eircom do not need to rely on wireless backhaul, especially not in the 3.5GHz band which is valuable for providing last mile access (they could use higher frequency bands such as 26GHz for that). Why? They have existing cable backhaul already, mostly fiber in fact (all the exhanges in my area have fiber as far as I am currently aware of). Muck would know a lot more about this than me though.

Yes. It's all very easy to do in an ideal world isn't it?

More diffucult when you actually have to design these systems. Back seat drivers are always right!!!

Point to note: I don't work for Eircom. I have a LOT of issues with them and their service, however I have worked for them in the past and it's not all black and white. Just being devils advocate here guys.

I never said it was easy to do, nor did I say it was black and white (I understand that as a commercial company, Eircom have to do whatever it takes to grab as much money as possible from unspecting consumers, it is after all ComReg's job to regulate). The fact remains however that Eircom are hording a large chunk of the 3.5GHz band, NATIONWIDE, without doing anything useful with it.

I guess I'd be more critical of the goverment and ComReg. As a commercial company, it isn't Eircom's fault they are allowed to horde a lot of the 3.5GHz band on a nationwide basis.

That's kinda my point tho. Just because they aren't visibily doing anything in the public domain doesn't mean that they are not using it!!!

You are absolutely correct, they are using it. The problem is that they are using it to block competiton. Sort of like the "shell" companies in the U.S., who have purchased valuable bands to block wireless competition to cable Internet access.

Again I am not blaming Eircom for that, but rather ComReg and the government for letting it happen. I have to admit that if I was Eircom, I would probably do the same thing. It would after all be in my interest.

P.S. The same goes for the 2.3GHz spectrum, which again is quite valuable (perhaps more so). Guess who "uses" that as well? Eircom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guys,
    eircom are obliged to provide the same set of services to a customer in the middle of Dublin and to a customer in Ballywherethehellisthat. They use the 3.5GHz band for backhaul in rural areas as only 70% of their exchanges are serviced by fibre. If they were to use the band for wireless internet services that they would have to re-design their radio planning. eircom don't have the know-how to do this.
    They have also issued a dividend of 1.5Bn to their shareholders which gives an indication of their re-investment plans for the near future!
    Ye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by thegills
    They have also issued a dividend of 1.5Bn to their shareholders
    Thought it was 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Thought it was 500m.

And i thought that 500m was from the consolidation of all future earnings from its fixed line business for the next few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by muchos_bongo
    *sigh*

Just because there are no apparent residential services doesn't mean the spectrum isn't used.

Had you read Eircoms licence for the spectrum then you would be fully aware that Eircom are supposed to provide POTS ISDN Leased Line substitutes and ADSL type service up to 384k on the spectrum Muchos .

Eircom Do not have a licence to use it as backhaul.

I repeat my question. Where is the spectrum in use and for what. If you don't know (like me) then please say so!

Advertisement