Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Year

• 05-09-2003 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am one of those poor sods who has to pay the regisration fee (how much is it this year?) but can't feckin afford it thus the need for a loan. The forementioned loan would have to last me for 8mths or length of 1st year.

Have not found/searched for place to stay yet as applied thru cao vacent courses and only got accpetance 2day so dont know what kind of rent will be paying yet.

Also doing the cert in comp network and optical sumthin (cw020) so does that include any extra need for cash..

So my main questions are: how big a loan would i have to take out to get me thru the year?? and what is the job front like for part-time work (many supermarkets/pubs etc..)?

Thanx in advance and sorry for all the questions but will be first time in carlow...

balkieb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

670 regisration fee.

yeah your right the year is about eight months long, could be six or seven not including xmas and other holidays but you could end up payin the rent for when your not there.

no need for extra cash for comp networking with optical comms, its just a normal course. a computer would help if you really want to do well in the course. you can mess about with the stuff you learn at home leavin more time to get to grips with ****ty stuff like comms, electronics and maths.

go get a house tomorrow, your ****ed as it is.. most second/third/fourth years have the best houses picked allready, then the people who get picked from first round cao got whats left over. the college has accomodation lists, but them houses could be all gone. try a hostel for a month or two if your really stuck, then people will drop out after a month or two or youl meet someone that has a nice spare room. i got ****ed last year in a **** house with a ****ing school teacher :)

a room cost you about 45-90?? a week, thats from sharing a room to taking out a hostel room?? no less than 45 anyways. most people are about 55-65 a week

job front i dont know, i know theres a new tescos opening down there in october, so thats means a bigger shop maybe. pubs/clubs/hotels, i think if your determined and willing enough you could get something but not garaunteeing anything.

just to let ya know, heres some subjects i think youll be doin
    programming, vb5/6
    maths, 1, 2
    hardware, binary, computer architecture, more **** i cant think of
    comms, ****in physics in disguise
    electronics, baloons
    something got to do with using a unix shell and some simple c++ scripting stuff using loops and stuff
    thats the basics of it, cant remember much more
    ohh ****, networking :) speaks for itself

enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Theres a good number of pubs around and i think 4 niteclubs in town!
    Then theres a the new Tescc's as Stoner mentioned and theres the world famous Maccy D's and I heard somewhere that theres a KFC opening in carlow soon???

Job oportunities!

Best of luck..... See ya in 2 weeks in the library!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bok

A good place to look into is the seven oaks hotel. They always take on students and its meant to be a really good place to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭lulu

Ah the sound of the summer ending is here! Students looking for work for the year is a sure sign that the good times are over.

Well the best place to look would be the Nationalist newspaper, u will get it online and just go through the back issues for the past few weeks as there has been a good few jobs advertised for the new Fair Green Shopping Center (the new Tescos)

Hope you have some luck :)

See u all soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tesco's are actively recruiting in Carlow now. They have a special phoneline and everything set up, but I don't know the number. I'm sure that if you ring Tesco in carlow they'll point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wasn't down there last year but was the year before and year before and it can be absolutley impossible to get a job, but theres the new shopping centre etc so u might be lucky,
    I was lucky and got one in first eyar iwth out too much bother the next year there were simply no jobs anywhere for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

thanx for all espec to stevenk with the info about the course (the website is sketchy in its detail to say the least) so handy to know whats invloved.

Prob down tues or wed goin house huntin...

In meantime will give tesco a try and hopefully sumthin will turn up,

every little helps espec if i get job out of it :D

To lulu: do have ne idea what the papers website it cause all i seem to find is sites with only old news.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

yeah, every little helps. once i get a job there i dont care. its handy but ****ty work with good enough pay 7.40 an hour. but anyways go get yourself a house asap,
    try an get 36 burrin street?? i hear its nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

HHAHAHAHHAHA
    36....The memorys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by lulu
    ... the good times are over...

Hey! you wonna watch yourself! I'm moving back next week, got a place near you, I'll keep the kettle on for ya :)

About getting a loan, just get a small loan for the first few weeks until you get on your feet, if you get into trouble, the college has a fund for helping out registered students. banks'll charge you through the nose on those repayments!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

36's all done up, new lino an aall painted but rat an i invaded for a day an broke a door mirror an bed. new rules for 36 is no posters or paintings or parties, can you believe it! an he even has a couple o tenants a grace de us!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Originally posted by loismustdie
    36's all done up,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

p.s. jenny sorry for not texting back, my phone was dead most of the week and i had forgotten to txt everyone back.

don't worry bout it. did you get your stuff from cillian and how'd the repeats go? when are you going to oz? poor pat thinks the house in grand an the only thing wron with it is the damage we did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

on the jobs front...DinnRi are currently looking for staff, tis easy to get a job there.

Pay is 7euro and hour...not the best job...but can be a laugh!

Kate

i know a lad who's family co-owns the dinn ri and he was saying a while ago that they are currently only looking for mature staff for housekeeping and the likes in the hotel, unless that has changed now as the students are returning

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

Yeah, that was a few weeks ago. There's a new sign up saying their looking for other staff.

Can't remember what work exactly, I know their looking for more
    cloakroom staff

Kate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

thanks for all that info

shud be goin down wednesday to try and find a house so will try to find a job then as well.

thanx again

Advertisement