Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc to PC access across the Web Question

Options
  • 06-09-2003 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I am trying to connect two PC's across the web using pcAnywhere. My understanding is that you need a Fixed IP address. I'm using Eircoms I-Stream at one end and they have quoted be €180 p.m. to get a fixed IP address (the cheaper one I'm on doesn't give a fixed address). Sounds very expensive just for a fixed number.

My questions are:

1) Do you have to have a fixed IP address
    2) Are they cheaper than I've been quoted
    3) Is there any software that works around it

Thanks

Stingray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I don't think they're quoting €180 just for a static address, sound like they're trying to sell you the top end package.
    You don't need a fixed address just to use PC Anywhere or similar programs, you could use a dynamic dns service such as www.no-ip.org instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

I should have clarified the €180, its the monthly cost for the top end ADSL service. Eircom said only with that can you get a fixed IP address.

Has anyone used the www.no-ip.org service? By using the free portion of it do you get bombarded with spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I haven't been spammed by them and neither has another person I know who uses the free service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Has anyone used the www.no-ip.org service? By using the free portion of it do you get bombarded with spam?

Used it up to about a year ago - no spamming involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Netsource.ie will give you a fixed ip with there standard DSL package.

The service is not supposed to be as good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monkey_magic

I've never used pcAnywhere but I know from using VNC you don't need a fixed IP address, you just need to know what IP address the VNC server has at the time of connection, and it's free ;) . If you have a firewall, or filter VNC connections you just have to be careful how you set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

VNC works very well for me. Iuse the broadband servicve with NTL and have had a fixed IP address for the last, em...well... since i turned my linux box on! :)

If you accept the initial DHCP connection, then specify your settings to that you gto from the server, your hsoudl be fine. In windows you may have to renew your connection from time to time, but shoud be fine!

Alternativly, add a cron job to send the results of IFCONFIG to your mail account every morning!

Advertisement